iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 winch maint questions

Started by wisconsitom, February 14, 2023, 05:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

Those of you with tractor winches, what do you like to use to lubricate your cable, and how do you apply?

2nd question, especially for Norse/Igland owners, what kind of oil on drive chain?

Thnx
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

I have never put any lube on the cable, but some do and says it helps. Some say use diesel.
I use a little grease when I think of it, on the chain. Don't want too much.
If I bought a quart of something it would last me 20 years.
I am just concerned about getting oil/grease on something, clutch, where it does not belong.
Had mine since Norse 1993 and the sprocket is starting to show some wear. I use mine a lot. It never comes off the tractor.
The cable I feel is just a wear part, like tires.
In fact,I have to buy a cable for mine. It's getting short. I am going to be cutting in the meadow and need the full length and longer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

I use ATF on the cable.It has been terribly used and no side effects.
Can't say the same for the owner.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Treefarm1

I'm thinking this is the most recent discussion I could find regarding skidding winches. I have a 36 hp Cub Cadet 7360SS 4wd tractor at our tree farm in NE WI. I have done some salvage of blowdown over the years, mostly skidding logs on tractor forks. I have a rope winch, and have used a skidding cone to fish out logs, but seems it may be more efficient with a tractor mounted winch. 

I have been storing for a friend what I believe is a Farmi JL306 winch for over ten years. It was outside for 9 years, but has been inside since I've had it here. I have not seen it operate, but am told they are virtually indestructible. I am again considering buying it, but do not know what work to get it running would cost. I have not yet pursued a Farmi dealer to look at it and get it back in working order. Can someone speculate on likely repair costs and a potential value. Thanks.

wisconsitom

Hi Treefarm1.  Sounds like we're neighbors.

I can't offer an estimate on cost of refurbishment, but more generally, in terms of value, if the unit can be restored, it's almost certainly worth doing.

I put a winch on the back of my tractor last year.  It's been a big help in work I'm doing now, thinning a plantation.

beenthere

Quote from: Treefarm1 on March 03, 2023, 09:05:32 PM
I'm thinking this is the most recent discussion I could find regarding skidding winches. I have a 36 hp Cub Cadet 7360SS 4wd tractor at our tree farm in NE WI. I have done some salvage of blowdown over the years, mostly skidding logs on tractor forks. I have a rope winch, and have used a skidding cone to fish out logs, but seems it may be more efficient with a tractor mounted winch.

I have been storing for a friend what I believe is a Farmi JL306 winch for over ten years. It was outside for 9 years, but has been inside since I've had it here. I have not seen it operate, but am told they are virtually indestructible. I am again considering buying it, but do not know what work to get it running would cost. I have not yet pursued a Farmi dealer to look at it and get it back in working order. Can someone speculate on likely repair costs and a potential value. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
If storing for a friend, would he/she let you try it out on your Cub to see what works and what does not? I suspect you have a 3ph and should have enough HP to operate the winch.

Related thread on this Forum
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115087.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Treefarmer, is that the one with 2 legs? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

Cfarm if you wanted to try something on the drive chain give graphite a try. You can get it powdered or in an aerosol can. I use it on planter chains. Nothing sticks to it and certainly helps extend chain/sprocket life. Of course if you got 30 years out of it you're already doing something right  :D.

thecfarm

John Mc

Quote from: Treefarm1 on March 03, 2023, 09:05:32 PM

They are generally very reliable. not much goes wrong on them. I would check whether parts are still available for the JL 306. I don't think it's been made for some time now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Treefarm1

Yes it is one with two vertical adjustable legs, mid-late 70's, my guess. I may just inquire with a "local" Farmi dealer with the question of getting it going again and availability of parts likely to be needed. It looks like 1/2" cable on it, and I've read the other advice regarding 3/8" maybe more user friendly. I suspect my friend will want more for it than the $1100 he wanted ten or more years ago. I think he may be agreeable for me to have a Farmi tech look it over and needs to put it back in service. Then I can know whether his asking price is fair. Last time we spoke, I was thinking it was too big for my 36hp diesel Cub Cadet, but maybe not?

Yes WisconsinTom, I live in New Berlin, just west of Milwaukee, but our land is northern Oconto County.

mudfarmer

Running the same winch on 34hp kubota for a few years, no problems. Don't know your tractor but suspect it will be fine. It will winch more than the 3ph will lift, it will winch the tractor over, it will break old chokers if you hook a stump, you get the idea.

wisconsitom

Yo, east of Suring🖐️.

Y'all, going back to cable maint, I haven't done anything for it yet, and it does get drug thru the snow nearly every use.  So here's my thoughts...since moisture is the enemy, and wd40-type spray lubes primarily displace moisture, might it not suffice to open the hatch and spray the cable down after use or before next use kinda thing?  Or is this not adequate....given as I said, I mostly use mine in the snow.  

thecfarm

I use to get wood in the snow.
Never did nothing to the cable. But I was not doing it 5-6 days a week either and not for 8 hours a day either.
I would pick my days.
My cable lasts a long time. I get 4-5 years out of one. And I use it a lot in the summer months. Winch never comes off the tractor.

wisconsitom

Yeah that sounds about like my pace....fit in the work between everything else.  I don't go out if it's actually raining/snowing/blowing like a banshee from hell, but there is usually snow on the ground.  Thanks bud.

Thank You Sponsors!