iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

might buy a Belsaw M-14

Started by KFhunter, July 24, 2017, 06:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KFhunter

I've never seen one of these running.  Hoping you all can give me a few pointers before I go look at this saw, see what I'm getting into with this.  The ad say's it's been sitting 20 years put up, comes with a diesel engine but no details on the engine.  I do have a tractor to power it but I would prefer it's own power head as I'll need the tractor to move logs. 

I want to make corrals, barn, equipment sheds and farm stuff - home use no outside sales.

What would be a value on this?

KFhunter

What is that wooden trough in the picture?  Has a pulley on one end?
Thinking it could be a sawdust conveyor?

KFhunter

Thank you for merging my two threads  ;D

Don P

I don't recognize anything except the round pipe in the bucket as being from the saw, that's the feed handle, slips over the 90° bent shaft at foot level in front of the mandrel. The blade guide looks different or something is going on there, on the rail ~2' in front of the mandrel. Splitter looks stock behind the mandrel shaft, both collars and nut look to be there, a wrench came with it. Make sure the shaft end of the pto shaft is the same size as the mandrel and its not just a random pto shaft, I don't see the shear bolt plate on it but it might be hanging below the table in that pic. It is set up for belt drive off the engine now. See if the main bearings are free and that the feedworks bearings are ok. Slop in the carriage wheels, missing wheels etc.

Look the blade over well, is it bent, cracked, galled in the collar, that is a couple of grand new and that is about all the mill is worth.

moodnacreek

At least it's steel. Plan on new mandrel bearing inserts . The saw collars should be cleaned up carefully [they are tapered] and checked for wobble . Although the saw is an expensive item, only 1 nut holds it on, it's the mandrel that's most important. You will hate the set works on a bell saw. Not good for logs much over 20". I'd say it's worth 500 to 1000 max.

paul case

I had on like that.
I gave $1000 for it and heated the blade trying to saw some hickory. Sold it for $2500.
It was easy to set up and figure out the works. Would work well on small logs. Several here have them. Belsaw m-14 made in Kansas City.
Yes the wooden thing on top is probably the sawdust conveyor.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!