iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this cherry?

Started by RussMaGuss, September 01, 2020, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussMaGuss

Got a call from a guy with some white oak but saw this in their pile as well. Never cut or ID'd cherry so I'm wondering if it's worth milling.

WV Sawmiller

Sure looks like it to me. I saw all I can get and price it at $3/bf for rough sawed boards and LE 8/4 slabs. I also make primitive benches out of it. If you get any be sure to anchorseal the ends as soon as you buck it to length as it is about the worst I saw as to end checking. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

That heart looks like something is going on, I'd be tempted to work around the outside of that white ring.

KEC

I don't see what looks like Black Cherry to me. A better bark photo would help. Cherry has distinct light-colored sap wood.

YellowHammer

A better view of the bark would help, but from what I can see it's a sycamore.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

JohnW

Good eye, YellowHammer.  You could be right.

RussMaGuss

This is another angle. Sorry, my phone was acting up yesterday not wanting to load other photos. 

The tree on the left is a ginko. Was considering grabbing it too, but not sure since there's only one small-ish log.. 

There are sycamores next to the middle log and the bark sure looks similar but I've never seen sycamore with such dark wood. I've only been milling about 2 years now though 

stavebuyer

The log middle row top is sycamore. My profile picture is cherry.

RussMaGuss

Ahh I should've remembered cherry has sapwood duh! I just saw the color and got all excited lol For now I'm content grabbing 2 white oak logs for the price of a couple cases of modelo's on ice! 
From what I read on here it seems like sycamore moves more than any other wood, but googling sycamore slabs they look pretty nice. Do you guys think if I grab it I should cut slabs or dimensional quartersawn? Not sure what sells quickest/best in my area but I think I'd lean towards QS since I want to wholesale instead of open my shop to retail customers

stavebuyer

WDH

Flatsawn warps and twists like a snake on fire :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!