iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spline and Groove flooring

Started by timberframe, March 09, 2024, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberframe

For areas in the new shop (and my other building not yet completed
!) where the flooring ends will be visible I've decided to do spline and groove flooring for some variety, to satisfy some curiosity and aesthetic value.  Got some tooling to make it a little easier and gave it a test run with some walnut as a spline!  Everything worked great and I expect it'll work well,

B

rusticretreater

What about expansion space in the spline area?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

timberframe

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 09, 2024, 06:47:58 PMWhat about expansion space in the spline area?
Allowances will have to be made for wood behaving like wood does for sure, that's just a test/sample bit, not an actual piece to be installed.

woodroe

Nice looking mill work !
I'm a fan of the spline method as opposed to T&G if you are milling
it yourself.
 Did some softwood T&G with a router for flooring but when it came time for the hardwood flooring I went with splines, table saw work. Had a mix of Oak, Black Cherry, and Maple random width and lengths cut from the property, all band sawed, planed and air dried on site. probably 400 sq. ft. adding up to 1400 Ln. ft. groove. Cut 5/16" grooves and slightly smaller 1/2" wide splines. Went down slick and holding up well 15 yrs later.
Good luck with it !
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

timberframe

Here is a little video I did about it with some "in action"  footage.  I have gotten in trouble posting my videos here and haven't figured out why it's ok sometimes and why it's not others.....but I'll use the button above and assume if it's there for me to use, it must be ok.

Jeff

Quote from: timberframe on March 10, 2024, 12:29:19 PMHere is a little video I did about it with some "in action"  footage.  I have gotten in trouble posting my videos here and haven't figured out why it's ok sometimes and why it's not others....

I just went back through all of your posts. I need you to show me where you got in trouble for posting a video.  Can't remember it, so if you are going to come here and say that, you aregoing to need to prove it.  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I did it again for another look You have been posting youtube links since your very first post, and many since.  If you ever got in trouble for posting youtube links, well you kept right on posting them and we kept leaving them.

timberframe

Quote from: Jeff on March 10, 2024, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: timberframe on March 10, 2024, 12:29:19 PMHere is a little video I did about it with some "in action"  footage.  I have gotten in trouble posting my videos here and haven't figured out why it's ok sometimes and why it's not others....

I just went back through all of your posts. I need you to show me where you got in trouble for posting a video.  Can't remember it, so if you are going to come here and say that, you aregoing to need to prove it. 

I can't show you because the post got pulled, but I did reach out to Jim when it happened to try and understand it because as you say, here in the TF subform I never have had an issue.  Jim will be able to clarify but something to do with one approach that "took people away from the site" vs. kept them on the site?  I'm not tech savvy enough!

timberframe

Quote from: woodroe on March 10, 2024, 11:51:12 AMNice looking mill work !
it yourself.
 Did some softwood T&G with a router for flooring but when it came time for the hardwood flooring I went with splines, table saw work. Had a mix of Oak, Black Cherry, and Maple random width and lengths cut from the property, all band sawed, planed and air dried on site. probably 400 sq. ft. adding up to 1400 Ln. ft. groove. Cut 5/16" grooves and slightly smaller 1/2" wide splines. Went down slick and holding up well 15 yrs later.
Good luck with it !

This will be a great way to use up some cherry/walnut or other scraps that I don't have the heart to throw out but are not nice enough for furniture work!  Really if I'm going for the color contrast, I only need to use a color contrasting wood the last foot or so if my scrap pile is running low!

Jeff

You never got in trouble for posting a video. You were sent a system note by an admin for advertising. An the ad deleted.

You used the forum to try and promote your channel by inviting people away from here to an upcoming premier with no youtube link.

Would you like me to quote that post here?  I can. Then we can go over it how you were or were not wronged?  I suggest a thorough reading of the Forestry Forum rules before I do.

Never, ever, did you get in trouble for sharing a youtube link.

timberframe

Quote from: Jeff on March 10, 2024, 01:25:50 PMYou never got in trouble for posting a video. You were sent a system note by an admin for advertising. An the ad deleted.

You used the forum to try and promote your channel by inviting people away from here to an upcoming premier with no youtube link.

Would you like me to quote that post here?  I can. Then we can go over it how you were or were not wronged?  I suggest a thorough reading of the Forestry Forum rules before I do.

Never, ever, did you get in trouble for sharing a youtube link.

Jeff, I think I may have finally figured out what happened!  I went back and looked through messages again and reached out to Jim for clarification....he's been very helpful.  I'll circle back when I get clarification!  Thanks,
B

Jeff

I just told you what happened. We keep everything.  Circling around is not what I need. Your actions broke our rules, you were warned, action was taken. Period. Final word.

Your public post above about the forum was inaccurate You shouldn't have made it and this exchange would never have occured.

timberframe

it yourself.
Good luck with it !

I will probably end up doing around 8000+ linear feet between this and the second building so I was keen on the idea of easily replaced knives.  The odds of hitting something or other is pretty good with that many miles!  Also a simple cutter will be much easier to get the pitch off of than the multi component cutters, that's for sure!

timberframe

it yourself.
Good luck with it !

One of the things that's nice about doing it with the shaper is it allows me to do it on the flat and with a power feeder, which keeps my paws a long ways away from everything!  The spline method is great for all kinds of reasons, but if you can do a "full edge" treatment you can use the shaper to joint and edge straight and parallel to your other edge, bring it down to final width and also profile that edge (with your spline groove) all in one pass through the machine, so a pretty handy things that way.  That tooling collection is going to be pretty expensive and probably not doable on the small machine but maybe.  I'm kind of looking forward to a big production run...

Thank You Sponsors!