iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust decking, a good day ends even better

Started by hunz, April 16, 2014, 09:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So I wrapped up a locust order today for a quazi local ( 1 hr drive) arborist who does decks on the side. This was my first important locust saw job, so I made the extra effort to get the customer select grade material. I had a BL custom saw for garden beds a while back......I expect them to be a one time customer. No, not because I provided a poor quality product, but because I'm sure those boards will last a lifetime in those beds!

I lucked out on falling a dead standing tree that had the best quality boards I have yet to pull from a locust tree. Who would've thought that locust marked for takedown for 4 years now would have made such a great pay day. At the time it was painted with a yellow X, I had no idea what a band mill was. That tree was marked for firewood.....now I cringe at the idea of splitting locust for a wood stove, despite me having one. Unfortunately wood stoves really cut back on the heat bill, so it looks like I'll just have to put up with the atrocity haha.

Anyway,
  The customer was so pleased with the quality, he bought all I had on hand in addition to his cut list for the deck. One log had some real prize winning wood in it. 13" FAS boards 9' long! I am blessed beyond words to be able to get paid for doing what I love. I thank the forum and its members for keeping my sawying obsession alive!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

drobertson

Happy for you! nothing like the good feeling of getting it done when all are happy. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

5quarter

20 years from now, the guy will be replacing the trailer frame under his deck.  ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Seaman

That's awesome! I want to come up to see your mill sometime.
Frank

You got time to go to the gettogether on the 26th?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

hunz

Hopefully so, is there a thread about the get together?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

dboyt

You may have found your niche!  Keep your eyes open.  I bet there's more of them out there, and maybe some red oak & walnut, too.  I'm amazed what goes into fireplaces, tub grinders, and the landfill around here.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

We figure out how to grow them big and lots and there is a true american classic wood. I have a bunch that are ready to mill and more on the way. I think one trick is to keep the stand on the thin side and remove all the borer damaged ones with conks. That's what I've done and I am ending up with a bunch of good ones, and pretty fast too. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!