iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad logs

Started by millwright, February 13, 2017, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

How do you guys charge for sawing when a lot of the customers logs aren't very good. (Punky spots, bug damage etc.) you still have to process the whole log to find out what it looks like inside. Thanks.

Dave Shepard

I charge hourly. Good logs, they get a good board foot rate, bad logs, and it costs them more. I explain everything up front and let them decide how to proceed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Hourly.  As many bad logs as I get I rarely charge any other way anymore.  I end up losing out more often than not.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

Hourly if there is a lot. No charge if just an oddball log once in a while that we had no real reason to expect. Had a customer with a pretty whack of pine logs that turned out all had excessive sawyer damage so we just called the job, settled up on what I had cut and I went home. Sometimes that just happens.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Like above, if it is an occasional or oddball log, then I scale what we get and discard the rest.  Last week I opened a face...bad, opened the second face...bad, then discarded the entire log.  I let the customer know that bad logs are "hourly rate".

I generally saw ERC hourly rate because of punky logs and fluted butts.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 13, 2017, 07:36:02 PM
   Hourly if there is a lot. No charge if just an oddball log once in a while that we had no real reason to expect. Had a customer with a pretty whack of pine logs that turned out all had excessive sawyer damage so we just called the job, settled up on what I had cut and I went home. Sometimes that just happens.

What is sawyer damage?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: paul case on February 13, 2017, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 13, 2017, 07:36:02 PM

What is sawyer damage?

PC
Larvae/Grubs from the pine sawyer beetle. Great fish bait, rough on pine logs that lay too long. You can actually hear them chewing on the wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I have never encountered that but I very seldom get pine to cut,

I was afraid you meant ''The Sawyer'' cut em up badly. No remedy for that one either.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

millwright

Thanks for the replies.

Thank You Sponsors!