iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

39" old growth white oak 21 ft long

Started by Collima, September 28, 2011, 09:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collima

Been clearing 17 acres. Last few acres were old growth red white oak and hard maple.  Today I brought home a 39" on big end 36" on small end 21 ft long straight as an arrow and perfectly solid white oak log. It's beautiful!  I normally saw the long white oak for trailer decking, but I'm thinking about sawing this one different.  I think I want to make 20 ft long 8-4 live edge slabs for a dining hall banquet table.  Is there a market for this?  I know it will take a while to sell.  Might be too cool to sell and keep it for myself. Lol.  I have the ability to saw 70" wide, but only 10 footers. I'm hoping logboy out of menominee can saw this or someone in the twin cities area of mn.
What would be a good price for a slab like that?
It took 3 skid steers on the log to load it in the truck.  Wish I had a picture!
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Ironwood

Personally, I would not mill it that way. It take WO long enough to dry in 4/4 and 6/4. By the time it air dries enough to kiln the powder post will have found it. Trust me I know, I have a big one slabbed like that here and it was a mistake.

Good luck selling those monsters, you'd be better off quarter sawing at 4/4 and puing it out there that way. FYI, IMHO.

Ironwood   
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logboy

I'd start contacting wood working shops around the cities.  Maybe the Rockler stores as well. Heck you could even contact Wood Magazine since they are right down in Iowa.  Somebody will know somebody who wants it. Those slabs are going to be bloody heavy.  I've done a few shorter WO slabs that seasoned well with no bug damage.  Or just have it kiln dried below 13% and you'll be fine.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Collima

Well the reason I want to saw such an odd piece is because I have plenty of wo on hand.  Tons of 4/4-8/4 flat sawn and Qs.  Not to mention 2 years supply of logs. Need to use it up!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

I've done some large slabs, both WO and RO.  I would suggest quartersawing it in to 4-1/2" slabs, as those should clean up at 3" - 3-1/2" after drying. 

To keep the bugs in control, spray it down a few times with a good boric acid solution such as Timbor (or as WDH recommends Solubor) while it is still green - preferably right after it comes off of the sawmill.

A good market for a QS slab is for a "Roubo style" woodworking bench. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

oakiemac

Quarter saw it then bring it up here. I can't keep QSWO in stock. :-\
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

Powderpost beetles kill me on red oak, but I have not seen them as bad on white oak, so I am probably set up for the big fall as I did not spray about 1000 BF of nice white oak  :).

I hates sheetrock and powderpost beetles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Why not just cash it in. WO market is good right now! some times it is better to say good by to the money logs and play with the ones with the defects in them. Tim

logboy

Because making sawdust is way more fun.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Collima

I really don't have any interest in selling any wo logs.  I'd rather saw them up myself.  I took the time to cut them and haul them home.  I do sell a lot of logs directly from the job though.  This last 17 acre job we sold 110 cords of logs to a guy that makes animal bedding.  I tried selling saw logs before and I've found it's just too big of a pain in the butt dealing with people trying to low ball ya.  Or being super picky about quality.  I bring all the good saw logs home.  If they don't get cut in time I turn them into firewood, biomass, or animal bedding.  Not as much money in it, and i know its kind of a shame, but I'm super busy and don't have time. I log 50+ hrs a week. Work at my mill nights and weekends. And I'm a Realtor.
And logboy is right!  Making sawdust is way more fun!

SPIKER

no veneer buyers in the area???

like others said be hard to move that table or even the slabs...
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

metalspinner

Quotelike others said be hard to move that table or even the slabs...

...not if you have a bunch of these guys around...

8) 8) 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

qbilder

Any of the old growth maple got good, straight, clear saw logs? Interested in selling? I'm looking for some old slow growth maple with minimal sap. I want the brown wood.   
God bless our troops

Collima

I literally just finished sawing all of the hard maple off that job last night.  I always try to saw the maple right away because it stains so fast.  Ended up with 700 bd ft of 4/4 and a small stack of 8/4.  It was pretty decent stuff.  We don't get much hard maple south of the twin cities here.

Thank You Sponsors!