iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backup for MS 362

Started by JW IN VA, October 25, 2016, 02:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Would like to get a light handy saw to limb and backup my MS 362 with a 20" bar.Looked at a 241 and a 261 and thought about a Husq. 545/550 but can buy Stihl cheaper here

HolmenTree

I'm looking at buying a 2016 new edition MS261 C-M with Picco chisel 63PS b/c. This is what I want for my latest small back saw.
I gave away my 346XP NE to my FIL last year reason was I couldn't set it up with the 63PS with the correct pitch rim sprocket.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: JW IN VA on October 25, 2016, 02:59:52 PM
Would like to get a light handy saw to limb and backup my MS 362 with a 20" bar.Looked at a 241 and a 261 and thought about a Husq. 545/550 but can buy Stihl cheaper here

Either saw will limb (depending on tree type & size of coarse) but the 260 series would make a better backup saw imo. If we had trees with many small limbs I'd probably consider the 240 series for lightness but we have too many gums here and the limbs are usually quite sizeable, so much so that I just use the one saw for everything. I've managed to pickup an older echo 510 in really good nick as a backup but haven't had to use it yet.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

HolmenTree

Like Ada said the 261 would make a great back up for the 362. Seeing you're already using 20" on the 362 a 16"-18" would be perfect for the 261.
Seriously look at the 63PS chisel chain. Cuts really quick and smooth saving power for those smaller saws.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 25, 2016, 11:44:22 PM
I gave away my 346XP NE to my FIL last year reason was I couldn't set it up with the 63PS with the correct pitch rim sprocket.

That should be possible with a standard 7-spline drum for/from a 355/357/359 and a GB rim. Those rims aren't in the normal GB sortiment though, they are made on special order, and as far as I know only available from one source in the UK.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

I'd like to see a pic of these rims. I'd only be interested in a 7 tooth count.
Would the 355/357/359 standard 7 spline oil pump worm gear match up with the 346 too?

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 28, 2016, 12:07:57 PM
I'd like to see a pic of these rims. I'd only be interested in a 7 tooth count.
Would the 355/357/359 standard 7 spline oil pump worm gear match up with the 346 too?

The rims are 7-pin, but I don't really know what oiler gear to use, as I really don't see the point with 63PS on a 50cc saw, and haven't looked into it.

As the seller isn't a sponsor here (for obvious reasons), I don't know if a link will work, but I try; standard spline 3/8" lo-pro.

Edit; It worked, watch the video.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Thanks Niko, I'll reply in a few hours. Just got off work and taking the family out for dinner.

starmac

My hisky dealer mentioned I would like it if I went the other way and changed the bar and sproket over too 3/8 when it comes time to change. He claims the 346 will pull it fine.

Why is it you like the low pro better?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HolmenTree

Niko, I watched the videos and information was vague. The 1st rim  sprocket and the 2nd were the same Oregon 7 Tooth 3/8 standard...even though he said the 1st was a LoPro 3/8 :D
His explanation on the problem of running a LoPro chain  on a standard rim was not explained properly. He didn't know fully what the differences are.

Like how I found how well a .325 Stihl 23RS chain cuts on my 60cc 562XP....the little chisel 63PS Picco is a performance upgrade for a 50cc saw.

With my 346XP NE I found the narrow kerf 95VPX .325 semi chisel chain performed better then the full sized chisel. 325
So I tried the 63PS chisel with a small 7 spline standard 3/8" 7T rim and my expectations were exceeded. Did the same conversion on my 338XPT with the 6T LoPro spur with the 63PS and that's all I run on the little 39cc saw now.

As I said earlier  Stihl sell the 63PS Performance kit for the MS261 and it's a big seller in the professional pulp cutting market.

SawTroll

Quote from: starmac on October 28, 2016, 08:59:24 PM
My hisky dealer mentioned I would like it if I went the other way and changed the bar and sproket over too 3/8 when it comes time to change. He claims the 346 will pull it fine.

I have tested regular 3/8" vs .325, and I stay with .325 (21LPX/25RS). I see no point in testing 3/8" lo-pro, but some obviously do...
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 28, 2016, 09:17:08 PM
Niko, I watched the videos and information was vague. .... 

My point with the link just was to show you that the rim exists, and show you an image of it (you asked for that) - but I couldn't do that without also showing the general BS in the advertising.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on October 28, 2016, 08:59:24 PM

You have some misinformation from your dealer . Sure the standard 3/8" when the cutters are filed back small will pull just fine on the 346XP.  But brand new cutter size it's a dog for cutting speed. That's  why the factory recommends .325 on that saw. Max bar length on that saw is 20" and I think that is too long. 16"-18" is perfect.
Quote from: SawTroll on October 28, 2016, 09:18:54 PM
I have tested regular 3/8" vs .325, and I stay with .325 (21LPX/25RS). I see no point in testing 3/8" lo-pro, but some obviously do...
You haven't done enough testing Niko .
But I guess  when the day Husqvarna builds a LoPro 3/8" chisel chain you will agree :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on October 28, 2016, 09:26:35 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on October 28, 2016, 09:17:08 PM
Niko, I watched the videos and information was vague. .... 

My point with the link just was to show you that the rim exists, and show you an image of it (you asked for that) - but I couldn't do that without also showing the general BS in the advertising.
Niko, I know about the BS on the arborist sites that's why I no longer go on them. ;)
With my logging experience  it's just too frustrating trying to explain about chainsaws as most of these guys know very little of them. 
All they're into is swinging around in a tree with the latest climbing gear......chimpanzees  :D ;D

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 28, 2016, 09:41:18 PM
Niko, I know about the BS on the arborist sites that's why I no longer go on them. ;)
With my logging experience  it's just too frustrating trying to explain about chainsaws as most of these guys know very little of them. 
All they're into is swinging around in a tree with the latest climbing gear......chimpanzees  :D ;D

I assume you could see that the link was to a UK forum, that isn't just an "arborist site"? It isn't a particularly good saw forum though, but it is the only one where the seller of those rims is active (that I know of).

Actually, the more I am on other saw related forums, the better the "good ol'" AS looks - but I know you don't agree!  8)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Arb Talk is a arborist site just like Tree Buzz and Masterbater Tree House.

I agree AS is a good saw only site and should not be called "arborist" as that title does not apply.
I do check in on every blue moon :D and the site is way too immature with too much silly drama.

That's why I feel really good right here on Forestry Forum.....none of all that BS :)

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 28, 2016, 10:12:16 PM
Arb Talk is a arborist site just like Tree Buzz and Masterbater Tree House.

I agree AS is a good saw only site and should not be called "arborist" as that title does not apply.
I do check in on every blue moon :D and the site is way too immature with too much silly drama.

That's why I feel really good right here on Forestry Forum.....none of all that BS :)

I mostly agree - but regard AS as a much better forum than this one, simply because there are much more exchange of information + there is more room for informal fun.
There aren't any other ones that are much better in general though, but some that are better on certain topics.

The worst forums I am at are the Swedish and UK ones, as most members are so indoctrinated by certain brand marketing views on bars and chain to start with, that they team up to attack you if you recommend anything outside that (I do anyway, as I think the general Euro view on bars and chain is wrong).

Once I was on some German forums, and they were the best Euro ones, but posting in German just took too much time, as I had to look up many words (reading it is easy, but writing is more difficult).
Information collector.

HolmenTree

With my situation running a small business and raising young kids is Forestry Forum Chainsaw is  perfect.

Not alot of mindless repetitive derail posts, and I don't have to checkin on my phone throughout the day 8)

ZeroJunk

I like this site as well, but I do miss some of the old guys like Lakeside and Timberwolf who knew more about saws than I will ever dream of.

Of course you, Niko, Joe Indi, etc. aren't exactly dummies.

pwrwagontom

Quote from: JW IN VA on October 25, 2016, 02:59:52 PM

I was JUST in this exact situation, same saws.  After looking around at all the specs, I went with an MS261 with a 16" bar.  Very impressed with it so far.  Only about 3 tanks of gas in it so far.  Nice and light, easy to maneuver around. 
Never give an inch

SawTroll

If it actually is about backup, as the heading says, the 261 does of course make more sense than the 241 (but a used 60cc saw would make even more sense).

However, if it is about a smaller saw to supplement the 362 it could go both ways, depending on what work is at hand.

Personally I surely would have made it a 550xpg - but that doesn't work if it has to be a Stihl.  ::)
Information collector.

JW IN VA

I have considered the 545 and 550xp. Price will be a big factor.Have dealers for both Stihl and Husqvarna.Also Jonsered but they are newer and I don't know about service there.If I get a Stihl,it will be an MS 261.

Ada Shaker

:(
Quote from: JW IN VA on November 05, 2016, 02:07:30 AM
I have considered the 545 and 550xp. Price will be a big factor.Have dealers for both Stihl and Husqvarna.Also Jonsered but they are newer and I don't know about service there.If I get a Stihl,it will be an MS 261.

Product support (spare parts availability) in years to come should also be considered.
Also those looking to retire usually make way the the young ones starting in the area, as far as support goes. The younger dealers are more likely to hang around the longest if given a chance, until they themselves retire of course.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Thank You Sponsors!