iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 Running Backwards

Started by David-L, April 03, 2015, 06:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Quote from: s grinder on April 04, 2015, 06:13:54 PM
Was very common when two stroke Detroits powered trucks [years ago].Guys would back up against a loading dock,bump the dock,stall the truck,the truck would rock,the next thing you know the the truck would be going forward in reverse,the driver would be freaking out,exhaust would be coming out of air cleaner.Had it happen to Macks also,but not as much.Working for a trucking company [mechanic ]for 34yrs.,you can only imagine what i've seen.

There was a small hill in a city near me that was known for stalling trucks as they came up to the light. The Detroits would fire up in reverse and back over the car behind them. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ken

Had it happen many times on the 353's over the years.  I was told to never hit the starter button when a motor began running backwards.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

David-L

That starter button thing could be an issue. And an awful sound to.!!
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

so il logger

Yes starter button while the engine is running backward's is a bad deal. Can jamb the starter gear into the flywheel, happened to a 353 of my dad's years ago. Skidder op was looking for work on the next day

Logger003

Happens to me a lot with my 353. Like everyone says just shut it off and restart and it's good to go till next time I'm a little slow on the clutch

boxygen

I had this happen this winter running my neighbors tractor and winch. Almost stalled and then all of a sudden the Cable was spooling off the drum instead of hauling it in. I had heard of this happening so I told him to shut down. I'm not sure if I wasn't there that he would have figured it out in time to save it from damage.
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

Straightgrain

I'm wondering if there is any chance of this happening to a tractor with an HST for a transmission.  ???

I learn something here with each log-on; I spent decades on and off diesel equipment (Detroits in the armored vehicles and a GM 6 v 71s in the HMMWVs) when I was in the military and never heard of this one.

Seen a number of broken transmission housings, drive shafts, and final-drive shafts but no engines running backwards; only Generals did that... ;D.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

so il logger

Manual transmission 2 cycle engine, 6V71 are detroit as well. And GM as well  :)

snowstorm

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 05, 2015, 01:17:11 PM
Any snowmobile that I've seen with reverse ran backwards.
not all of them. ski doo came out with it in the early 2000's then in 04 polaris used it after winning a lawsuit against ski doo  over rear suspension infringements. rather than a cash award they got the rights to the push button reverse. only in the last couple yrs arctic cat started using it. it retards the timing to the point the motor kicks back then runs backwards. and dose it at 2500rpm. its pretty slick i have it on 2 sleds

Thank You Sponsors!