iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

T&G Knifes

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 09, 2024, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I picked up an MP200 two sided planer for my cabin project. I need to make T&G for my floors, roof and walls. The floors and roof will be out of 2x pine stock an the walls out of 1x incense cedar.

I'm thinking of having one set of knives made with a double T&G. Full height for the 2x and drop down for the 1x.

Is there folly in this plan?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

I couldn't find 2x T&G knives a few years ago and ground a pair for a friend to do his on a shaper. It surprised me that it is not a stock pattern available somewhere. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is think about the chamfer and the projecting "wing" that is cutting it, and then stacking the next pattern above that. You need enough meat on that wing that it isn't liable to break if it hits a knot wrong.

Southside

The tongue on my 2" T+G knives is significantly larger than the 1".  I don't see how you could fit both onto a pattern and have it work.  On your machine I believe the knives are secured with pins so you don't have the option of shifting the knife up or down either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

maineshops

Can you put 2 1 in ping and grove on the 3 in bd?
Phil:4, 13

Ljohnsaw

I tried but can't figure it out.  I got a PDF attachment from MoldingKnives.com on the proposed design.  It is a single blade with a double profile.  It gets mounted in the holder that fits on the spindle.  You add or remove spacers above/below to adjust the height.

The tongue/groove is 0.313" deep by 0.313" tall.  The only flaw I see in the proposed set is they both are designed to cut with the face up.  I'd think you would need one up/one down so the wide knive can plane both sides of the board.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dewey

Contact W.M. Moore Profiles
They build knives per my Drawings..
Great company to deal with

scsmith42

Quote from: Ljohnsaw on May 09, 2024, 12:30:43 AMI picked up an MP200 two sided planer for my cabin project. I need to make T&G for my floors, roof and walls. The floors and roof will be out of 2x pine stock an the walls out of 1x incense cedar.

I'm thinking of having one set of knives made with a double T&G. Full height for the 2x and drop down for the 1x.

Is there folly in this plan?
I have some sets of knives like this (made by W. Moore profiles recommended by Dewey above).  In my instance I'm using them as side spindles in a 6 head moulder. 

But I'm baffled as to how you would mould a T&G profile with a 2 sided planer.  Wouldn't you need a 3 sided planer as a minimum to put a groove on one edge of the board?  I get how a tongue could be profiled using top and bottom heads, but how do you profile a groove?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

So a flat knife is on the top. Spindle on the left. First pass does the tongue and top surface. Run all the stock through.

Swap spindle knife for groove, flip all stock over and "bottom" gets planed along with the other edge.

It would be cool to add a second side spindle to get three sides done in one pass...
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!