iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 254 oiler ???

Started by backpacker, February 28, 2010, 04:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpacker

Has anyone got an insight into what i can do with this saw to fix the
lack of bar oil it is putting out? It suddenly stopped oiling any more than a half
oil tank to a full fuel tank. Opened up the pump amount, no change, cleaned bar and saw holes, no change. It only uses a half tank of bar oil for each tank of fuel.
I can see the end of the hose and brass fitting, but can't see where it connects to the engine housing? and the tube from the bar outlet is clear.
it oils good , but only until it gets to the same level each time, is there a hole in the rubber line? do i have to split the saw to replace it? must be something simple???
tks

JohnG28

If you refuel the saw but not fill the oil tank, will it use the remaining oil or will it no longer put out any oil?  If it only oils until half tank and then wont oil any more I would tend to think that the line in oil tank might have a hole or be cracked, but if you refuel and then it uses remaining oil there might be an issue with the oil pump or something else
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

backpacker

Hi there: i thought i had said that but sometimers i forget details:)
no it does not put oil out with a second full tank, only the initial first half and thats it.
A hole in the line is what i am going for. but i can't see throught the fill hole to where it connects to the engine housing, so i guess i need to know if i can pull it off and out and install a new one without splitting the engine.
Tks for the reply

JohnG28

No worries, Ive been known to forget plenty myself...anyway, back to your problem...I think your on the right track with the oil line, Im not farmiliar with this saw, but you can try getting something into the oil fill hole to pull the line out where you can see it better, needlenose pliers possibly, or maybe a piece of coathanger cut with a hook bent onto the end, but be careful not to damage (or further damage) the oil line...if you can get needlenose pliers down to where the oil line connection is you could probably change the line that way...Im not sure, but I wouldnt think its necessary to split the saw for just the oil line
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Rocky_J

On most of the newer Huskys, the oil line is installed from the clutch side, under the oiler pump.

Remove the bar and chain, remove the clutch assembly and sprocket drum. Remove the plastic drive gear for the oiler. The oiler should be held down with one or two allen head screws. Remove those and lift the oiler out. The oil pickup line will either be attached to a nipple on the oiler or else it will be pressed into the hole in the case like a grommet.

backpacker

Morning folks: I did surgery on a junked 246 and removed the plate behind
the drive sprocket and the oil line came out attached/stuck to it. So the 245 got the same treatment. But the oil line was not attached/stuck to the  plate, was actually a  loose fit to the plate and had a rough dull finish to it. The one from the 246 would actually grip the plate enough to stay attached and was shiny and firmer/smooth to the look and touch, so i put the 245 back together [246 hose] and next week will have a chance to run a full tank test on it. NOTE : Do not lose the small rubber hose between the saw housing and plate, the junked 246 doesn't have the same hose for a spare:)
but it was found! 8)
tks

JohnG28

Hope that you get it straightened out, goos luck

captain_crunch

Don't know if they still make them but back when I fell timber Husky made a Brass gear to replace the plastic one. Unless they have improved the plastic they were a real head ache.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

saw_nut

If it is new enough for the plastic gear check that first. That is the weakest part of the oiler. Another problem can be the brass filter. Give it a good cleaning. I have drained the oil tank and put 1/2 a tank of gas in. Shake the saw to wash the filter. I have also started 254's with gas in oil tank to clean out line and pump. Alot of 254's here had old motor oil used for chain oil. Never had pump issues with good oil.

backpacker

Morning: Just to reply to the other comments, they were all right on the mark for the brass filter, brass gear, and dirt, i got them all[ no dirt now:)] its an old saw from a yardsale, i shouldn't complain about the cost[ $50] a few chains and bar over 10 years is minor, but this appears to be a minor problem and easy fix, i want to go testing it now..... next week for the results.
tks

backpacker

Another good morning , but with an hours less sleep....
The test and news is that the saw now oils as it should , so it appears
the pickup tube was just plain old and rotten/holed, at a certain level.
Of course the oil pump had to be turned down a fair bit from previous attempts
to fix it:)
feels good to be doing this 8)
tks to all and be sure to play safe

Thank You Sponsors!