iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger question

Started by rvrdivr, July 24, 2005, 07:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

I just started looking for an edger. Don't know much about them though. I do know I'd like something to handle my flitches.
Just found this on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7528034944&category=26229&ssPageName=WD1V&rd=1

I talked with the guy for a while this morning and found him to be a real nice guy that unfortunatly just suffered a stroke. So...he's not sawing much anymore and is selling all you see listed. I could get the whole lot for just under $8000.00.

Though I don't really need a scragg saw, I sure could use the live deck, re-saw, and that edger.

I was wondering, am I looking for trouble buying a used machine? Is that a good price? He was a high production miller so I'm sure the machines have see better days.

Any sugestions sure would help.
Thanks,
Brian

beenthere

I found this site that tells about the company that purchased the Miner company.

http://www.meadowsmills.com/news.htm

Might be of interest to you, and others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D._Frederick

This sawmill and equipment has been on E-bay for at least six months and has not sold.  I would say that 2100 for the edger is on the high side, have you looked at sawmillexchange, they sometimes have edgers there for under a $1000.

Ron Wenrich

I would rather have equipment that has been stored inside.  The elements can do some nasty things to bearings, shafts and the like.  Some of the equipment looks to be on the worn side, but pictures don't tell the whole story.

As stated, the Sawmill Exchange has some listed that may be in better shape.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

flip

I made him an offer on the edger via Ebay.  Lets just say he was less than kind with his reply.  My offer was for what I thought it was worth in the condition it is in, where it's at and what it may need.  I would have upped the offer but he kinda pithed me off.  I think he is after the $2100, not worth that to me ;D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

customsawyer

I recently bought a new edger from Morgan machine in LA. it is not a bad little edger.  Cost was just under $7,000 and then I bought a extra set of blades. It will edge up to 16" wide and 3.25" thick the other day I had a red oak log with a big end that was just over 4' long before you could get it down to where you were cutting a full length slab off so just for giggles I cut it 3.25" thick and run it throgh the edger to see if it would handle it and I must say that I was able to make some nice boards to stack lumber on pretty quick. It had a few little things that I had to find and fix but over all I am very pleased with how it has performed. If you decide to go this route p.m. and I will let you know what I had to fix.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

smwwoody

I know this one is still for sale and it has less than 300 hrs on it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11276.0

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

ex-Engineer Wannabe

I couldn't help but notice your handle, Brian.  Is "rvrdivr" a reference to black water sinker recovery?   As a native Floridian, as well as a diver, I'm intrigued by this method of recovery.  Do you ever encounter any "nastys" as you dive in those low visibilty environments?

I've done my share of cave diving, so I've seen visibilty conditions deteriorate very quickly.  But, in your case, the visibilty starts out poorly and stays that way. 

I helped clear a log jam behind our house on the Withlacoochee last year, but it never really struck me -- at the time -- that those logs were still of any use.  And to think, all that lumber I swam over in my youth... :D

I think you diver/sawyers are great, and the best of luck to you all!

Have a great FLA day,
B
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

rvrdivr

Thanks all for the replys. For now I'm just gonna keep my eyes open for a better deal. Ron Wenrich is right, equipment used out doors does take a beating.

B in NOLA , I am a river diver. I dive Florida's north central rivers looking for Indian Artifacts and Fossils. As far back as fifteen years ago I would find layers of sunken logs strawn along the bottom of these rivers. Old growth yellow pine and cypress. Back then they were just another obstacle in our way. Who would have ever thought I'd be sawing lumber years later.  :D

QuoteDo you ever encounter any "nastys" as you dive in those low visibilty environments?
Most of the time the rivers will give you three to five feet of visability, Sometimes more. Sometimes it is so dark you can see only a few inches directly in front of your dive light. I call that brail diving :D
I have never met anything in dark water but once while drift diving when the vis was ten feet in the Suwannee river I came upon the grand dad of gator snapping turtles. I was lucky to have with me my underwater video camera in the boat and I went back and got him on video still perched under the log. If you were to bump into something like that in dark water he could easily take off a leg.  :o I've heard turtles that big are over 100 years old.

For the last four years or so, many people I know have been logging these rivers and the supply is running low. But there is still an untold amount in the St. Johns which always has a Zero visability and is a larger river, with the biggest gators you'll find anywhere. Ed and Harold (Fla Deadheader) are still activly logging this.

Fla._Deadheader

Where's them St. John's Logs,  Brian, huh ?? huh ??  ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rvrdivr

Just a round that curve with that crypress tree on the left.  ;D ;D :D though I hear there's a big ole gator guarding them! :D

Thank You Sponsors!