iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I couldn't even find an axe

Started by Corley5, October 31, 2005, 11:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I found these two axes today while looking for some other stuff.  They don't amount to much either.

Somewhere around here are some good old axes that have new handles in them.  Some may be at da camp in Da UP  eh?  They'll turn up now that I don't need one ::)  We always had an old single bit axe in the Jeep in case it was needed and I'm 99.99% sure it's still in there along with the d-handled round point shovel.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Rockn H

Crtreedude, watch out for those machetes.  When I worked for G.P. forestry we used machetes and then the company outlawed them.  Made us all go to kaiser blades.  The machetes had gotten a bad habit of hitting legs and feet instead of just brush. ::)  Of course when everyone starting shortning the handles on the kaiser blades things wern't much better. ;D

Deadwood

I have tried the old axe trick of dipping a loose axe handle in water but as someone mentioned, evertime the stupid thing dries out you have a loose handle again. I then found out the key was to keep the axe handle from drying out. Soaking the axe head in antifreeze is the trick. The glycol in it keeps it from drying out, while it is obviously wet so it swells the wood. Works like a charm.

I suppose the only downfall would be the toxicity of the anti-freeze. I can't imagine a dog or pet would get too sick from licking an axe handle head, but you never know. Just thought I would point out that if you try this trick, you might want to place the axe out of reach of pets.

Dan_Shade

the scout thing reminded me of one of my more scary moments...

Every summer for the past several years, I have volunteered as a 4-h counselor at the camp I went to as I was growing up.  Part of the 4-h camping tradition in West Virginia is a nightly council circle with a fire.  the kids are responsible for the fire (at least we were).

anywho, I always helped do this, and when we were kids, we would just get the ax, and go out into the woods, and gather up dead wood, cut it to length and etc...  So i decided I'd teach the kids how to use an ax, boy was that stupid, one of the kids had the ax glance and almost hit another kid who had creeped up to watch.  wow, that scared me, I learned a good lesson on liabilities without actually causing a problem, but it sure did scare me.  now, I try to take wood back up there when I go, and don't let the kids get close to anything they can hurt themselves with.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 02, 2005, 06:38:52 AM

....and don't let the kids get close to anything they can hurt themselves with.

How else are they going to learn? 

Well, probably the best way is one on one with plenty of room - and a phone to call 911.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

the sad truth is liabilities are too great for a lot of that stuff.

I decided that I can't take the risk of a kid cutting himself, or someone else with an ax while trying to teach them how to chop out wood.  It's kinda sad, but that's the way I look at it.

rural areas aren't like they once were.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Corley5

I don't know where I learned about using moisture to keep an axe or maul head tight but it does work if you can get your Grandmother to leave the tool outside. ::) ;D ;)  One fall I was splitting wood for Grandma in her barn with a maul with a loose head.  I worked at it a while and when I left I put the maul outside under the eaves as it was supposed to rain that evening/night.  The next afternoon I stopped to split some more wood for her and the maul was inside the door and the head was still loose.  I split a few pieces again but really didn't like using it with the loose head.  It hadn't flew off but it was possible so I left and again put the maul outside to soak up some moisture.  Once again Grandma came out and put my tools away like I should have done  ;) ;D.  This time I stopped at the house after leaving the maul out again and explained to her what I was doing and why and to please leave the maul outside for a couple days and she did. 8) 8)

Engineer

Always been taught to soak a tool with a loose handle in a bucket of linseed oil.

Ernie

Quote from: Sprucegum on November 01, 2005, 06:45:37 PM
OXHEAD
  that's what I got - bought it at Hudson Bay when they were just startin' out ;D

Hudson Bay Co. has been around since before Canada was Canada, you must be real old ;D ;D

They were granted all the land in the catchment of Hudson's Bay by the King of England way back when.  They had trading post all through otu Canada trading for Beaver pelts to make top hats.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Phorester

DAN, I can understand your concerns about kids and axes.  And not to make light of your concerns, but I'm with BIBBYMAN on this one.  There's safe ways to teach'em.  You probably know that the Boy Scouts still teach ax and knife safety and use to the Scouts. 

In addition to being a Scoutmaster, I'm also on the Council training staff where we teach the adult leaders how to teach the boys knife and axe safety, among other things.  Easy for me to say, I reckon, but I think that adult scout leaders are very careful and strict with their Scouts and sharp tools.  We make them use axes only in a designated and physically roped off "axe yard" (only one person at a time allowed in), teach them to hand them off to somebody else safely, teach them how to keep them sharp and in good condition so they won't fly apart, teach them how to safely and effectively cut logs and split wood, etc. There's very few accidents with axes and knives in the Boy Scouts, and we use them quite a lot.   

Frank_Pender

Well, I heared tell this conversation was happening.  I thought  that I might be ablidged to chime in, with some news.   There will soon be a new axe on the market. the test unit here is the West has passed muster with a very high score.  The fallers that have been using the one protype I have received has showen great promiss and I have some standing orders waiting to be filled. ;D
Frank Pender

Quartlow

I bought a Fiskars hatchet last year, man I love that thing, It is definatly sharp, I KNOW!!  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Sprucegum

Ernie

I wouldn't say I'm old -  but some of my gadgets I built when workin' in the oilpatch have started showin' up in the local museums  ;) :D

I bought that axe in a little Hudson Bay store in the real northern part of northern Alberta for my first real job in the bush. I felt like I had stepped back 200 years in time and I loved it. I relive it every time I grab that little axe.

Saki

I must be the odd man out on this one. Some of my best deals for axes and other small hand tools have been farm auctions. Have gotten many older, american made tools for under $5 each. Lots of times, the older folks at the auctions are thinking who in the crap would want something that amounts to that much work, no thanks, I've had my turn with that. A lot of the kids are thinking I don't see where the batteries go. I sometimes luck out by being the only one interested in it. I like mann, plumb, bluegrass and vancamp brand stuff.

My favorite tool that I constantly carry in my pickup is a plumb brand pulaski axe. Good for cutting, grubbing, prying etc., all in all, a very versatile tool. Am looking forward to running across another one sometime.

Furby

I get them cheap at auctions as well, but I keep breaking handles. ::)
The last one I got at an auction I paid $2.50 for it, and it had a handle that was almost a perfect fit for my hands.
Was at the box store looking at handles...... again......  and they just don't feel right or last long.
Been thinking I need to make my own, but I have so many that need handles.... the task is daunting. ::)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Sprucegum on November 01, 2005, 06:45:37 PM
OXHEAD
  that's what I got - bought it at Hudson Bay when they were just startin' out ;D

You must be an old timer, see'n as the company is well over 300 years old. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I know where most of my axes are. I keep them in the Living room!  ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Jeff, I like your life style, I only have one old battleax in my livingroom. :-\
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

There was a show on the History Channel the other night about blades and Fiskars axes were featured 8) 8) 8)  They look sharp ;) ;D

sawguy21

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 05, 2005, 04:43:57 PM
Jeff, I like your life style, I only have one old battleax in my livingroom. :-\
Uhh... naa, I'll leave it alone :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Phorester

"Jeff, I like your life style, I only have one old battleax in my livingroom."

Yeah, right......., and you don't let her read this forum either, do ya?   ;D

Dale Hatfield

Gransfors bruks used to make a great % pound felling axe used for driving plastic felling wedges.
But they  they have sold off  all  stock and not making any more.

Anybody  know where a man  can get a 5 pounder  that might have some balance and a square back?
3 1/2 #  axe  just dont have it for driving wedges on a hard leaner.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Frank_Pender

Dale, Like I mentioned earlier, LogRite is coming out with two styles, the last I spoke with Kevin.  One will be a 24" handle and the other 30" handle.  I have had one here for several weeks being used by a couple of full time fallers and they really seem to like the unit.   They are in waiting for the ten I have ordered.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!