iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InterMechanico

Quote from: Andre on May 31, 2015, 02:04:09 PM
I would just get a 24 volt pump and be done with it.  Messing with DC/DC converters or speed controls or remembering to swap batteries is just more stuff to go wrong.

By regularly, I mean every 3 months. Not really that difficult to remember, and cost zero dollars.
Approaching every job with a mind for completing it :)

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

Kbeitz

Need someone to double check my wireing...
Lower switch bypasses the speed board for fast return.
Upper switch reverses the carriage motor.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got some junkyard metal yesterday ...
Just what I need for my log lifter.
I sure would like to see the metal bender that did this job.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got my limit switches installed...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Working on the electrical...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Soon your electrical box will be full.

This is arnold113 showing PatD his control box.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Shore'nuff, that's impressive.  So over my head that I can't even comment on it!  Simply impressive. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on June 02, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
Shore'nuff, that's impressive.  So over my head that I can't even comment on it!  Simply impressive.

Nothing is as hard as it looks... You need to break it down and look at it one part at a time...
You end up doing things twice sometimes or untill you get it right.
Also google will show you everything you ever wanted to know...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Today I got the metal I needed to redo my log dogs.
I needed to make the shaft square instead of round.
The dogs would rotate on the round shaft and fall out.
The square shaft can't rotate.
Works much better.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

"Building square keeps it there"  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CaseyK

Hi Keibtz
I just came across your build & it looks great. I am in the process of building a mill also and noticed that you used the same type of DC speed controllers that I did to start with to control my 3 wheel chair motors. They were cheap and worked good for about an hour of testing movements of the 3 axis but one by one they failed, at first they would loose speed control then they would loose stop control and then would run upon applying power and wouldn't stop. To fix this I replaced them with (3) minarik 24v dc drives to control the speed of the (3) 24 volt wheelchair motors and they worked great, they have the ability to accel to a speed and decal to a stop and also have torque limiting. In addition I also added DC current shunt displays on the 3 motors so I could see what amperage they were producing. I also set up the preset speeds using resistors and relays to have a slow and fast speed settings at around 20% and 80%.
Good luck
Casey Kennedy
Home built automated twin blade

Kbeitz

Quote from: CaseyK on June 03, 2015, 11:05:21 PM
Hi Keibtz
I just came across your build & it looks great. I am in the process of building a mill also and noticed that you used the same type of DC speed controllers that I did to start with to control my 3 wheel chair motors. They were cheap and worked good for about an hour of testing movements of the 3 axis but one by one they failed, at first they would loose speed control then they would loose stop control and then would run upon applying power and wouldn't stop. To fix this I replaced them with (3) minarik 24v dc drives to control the speed of the (3) 24 volt wheelchair motors and they worked great, they have the ability to accel to a speed and decal to a stop and also have torque limiting. In addition I also added DC current shunt displays on the 3 motors so I could see what amperage they were producing. I also set up the preset speeds using resistors and relays to have a slow and fast speed settings at around 20% and 80%.
Good luck
Casey Kennedy

I looked at minarik 24v dc drives on E-bay and seen different models.
Could you give me a part # ?
I though what I bought would work real good because they are rated for up to 50 amps.
But if they dont hold up I will give what you bought a shot...

Thanks.
Kevin
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got a good start on my log roller today...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

Hope you post a vidio when you get this mill done so I can see how everything works.  You are defanatly going all out.
Good luck
gww

CaseyK

Kbeitz, the drives I used were MINARIK DC MOTOR SPEED CONTROL DRIVE MODEL XP32-12/24DC, when searching ebay you will want to buy one with a heat sink or purchase one seperatly. Also you may want to search for a XP60, it has the same function but is capable of 60 amps & I got one of those because I found one cheaper than the 30 amp units. Any of the dc shunt volt / current meters should work for displaying the v/c of the motor.

Kbeitz

There is a XP-32 on e-bay right now for about $80 with shipping.
Looks like it come with a heat sink or do you add more?
As of now there is no XP-60 listed

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

CaseyK

The picture is for the basic unit, the heat sink will be bigger and have cooling fins. Some of the other minark drives listed may show the heat sink. Or try to google the manual for the xp-32 and in there it list the part number for the heat sink. When I searched it on ebay by the part number back a couple of months ago there were atleast 3-4 sellers that had several.

gww

If worst comes to worst, the old telivision sets have real good heat sinks that can be retrofitted.  It is best if the slots the fins make are facing up and down so air flow is created. sorta like a register fins in a boiler heating system.  Probly lot of other electric stuff have good heat sinks also.  More and bigger in heat sink is better.  I have one from a tv on the back of an ssr that I use to preheat hot water.
Good luck.
gww

Ianab

With a "bare" option like that board you probably have the option of using the mounting as your heat sink. An aluminium box for example could hold the electronics, AND conduct the heat away. In a sawmill application that sort of thing probably matters because you want to keep the dust out of the electronics, which makes a cooling fan a problem. They don't work well in a sealed box, and air vents let in the dust. So you use the case as the heat sink.

Bolting some sections of U channel alloy on the back of the case behind where the unit is mounted would work, and use some silicon thermal paste in each joint to move the heat away better.  Running the fins vertical like gww mentions helps, because convection then helps the air flow easier. Or add a small external fan for extra air flow.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kelLOGg

K, I use 24 and 12 VDC from two batteries just as you do; 24 for wheelchair motor and 12 for winch for loading/turning. Been very pleased with it. If your DC speed controller doesn't have polarity protection rig up something simple and foolproof. Here's my experience:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68613.msg1032103.html#msg1032103

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Uck.... Painting...

I hand brushed the whole thing to give it a good thick coat.

After it dries and I touch up I will spray paint the whole thing again.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

Ox

Don't feel like the lone ranger, buddy.  I hate painting too!  All those nooks and crannies.  If you've never painted tractors or machinery before there's no way do describe it.

kelLOGg

When I bought my mill 13 years ago, Cook told me their most time consuming step in building one is painting. ugh! I hate it too.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ox

Lord, I believe it, too.  And I don't have to make mine showroom pretty, either!

About 3/4 of the time is sand and mask and prep work.  Without proper prepping no paint job will last.

I've painted/restored two tractors.  an Allis Chalmers D19 and an International 1466. 

The Allis I took down to bare metal, split it for clutch, etc. and it came to over $6,000 at $20 per hour shop rate.  It was for a then "friend" and I took the bill down to $3500.  2 primer coats, 3 base coats and 2 clear coats.  She shined like a new penny and was better than brand new.  Of course, no pictures.  I don't have many pics at all of my adult life.

The 1466 was basically a repaint but came out real nice.  Clearcoat as well.  Even that quicker job came to around 100 hours.  Simply incredible, isn't it?  Really need 2 guns on a tractor that size.

Took 3 days to paint my new mill with 2 coats!

I hate painting.  Have I mentioned that?  :D

Thank You Sponsors!