Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Well I got my brush coat all done...
The spray coat wont be so bad.
Then comes the electrical.
This is what I got so far and this is showing for only one drive motor.
I got two drive motors the log lifter and the log turner to draw in yet.
Also the master switch and fuses.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

You're a better man than me.  I look at the diagrams you post and my eyes glass over and a little bit of dribble escapes from the corner of my mouth and slowly runs down my chin, through my beard and into my lap.  My wife finds me hours later and screams, "Are you having a seizure?!?"  I snap out of it and tell her, "No, there's a guy on the forum that's building a sawmill."  She then looks at me as if I'm crazy and quietly leaves, shaking her head and muttering something about sawmills and cookies.   smiley_headscratch
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on June 06, 2015, 11:52:56 PM
You're a better man than me.  I look at the diagrams you post and my eyes glass over and a little bit of dribble escapes from the corner of my mouth and slowly runs down my chin, through my beard and into my lap.  My wife finds me hours later and screams, "Are you having a seizure?!?"  I snap out of it and tell her, "No, there's a guy on the forum that's building a sawmill."  She then looks at me as if I'm crazy and quietly leaves, shaking her head and muttering something about sawmills and cookies.   smiley_headscratch

It helps when you like playing with electricity.
I'm hopeing I got everything right.
I cost money when you goof up.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Yes, having an interest definitely helps a lot.
Roger that, loud and clear, on costing $ when mistakes are made.  I wish you all the luck.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

I installed my solar system, built 2 wind turbines, built a charge controller from a kit.  Seperated most of my house to a box run by solar.  Put a preheat hotwater tank run with excess solar based on the battery voltage.  With all that, You are so far above my skill level that I get dizzy when I look up to where you are.  I do apretiate the costly mistake aspect.  I look at your post and want to help, think to myself I should be able to help and then relize,  I don't have enough skill to help you.
good luck
gww

Ox

gww - you did all that and in other posts you call yourself stupid or not smart enough!  I beg to differ.

Credit where it's due, my friend. :)

gww

Ox
All I can say is doing house electric is mostly carpentry but curcuits and controlls are a differrent animal compleetly.  I do know of a couple of forums where there are truely smart people and not just copy cats like me.  They know why something is put where.  Me I ask them and then just put it there.  I don't ever figure out why I put it there.  The only smarts I have is knowing who to ask and who to listen to.  Besides that.  You haven't seen my stuff so I might still be dumb.  I haven't killed myself yet though, knock on wood.

Kb
If you ever want to run your circuitry by smart poeple I do know a couple of forum sites.  They are mostly for solar but you pictures would be understood by them and they are credable helpers.
gww

CaseyK

Hi Kbeitz
Ive got a circuit drawn up for you but my computer wont scan it but hope to have it sent by the end of the night. The speed controller you have gets its reference from the wiper lead of either a 1 k or 10 k pot and also has another 2 leads that close when the pot is in the off position to keep the drive from going to run mode when the pot is almost turned to off position. After looking at several small dc drives manuals they all suggest leaving power on the drive and starting the motor by the pot input and also shorting the pot input to the negative pot lead so that there is a 0 volt speed reference. On mine I used one power relay for direction control, an AB 700 relay 4 pole with reversible NO NC contacts. If the direction relay was not energized then it went fwd if energized then it went reverse. I will try to post the diagram, it will make a lot better easier to understand.
Home built automated twin blade

CaseyK

CaseyK

OOps
The drawing assumes that the A terminal of the pot is the common voltage or 0 volt side of the pot and C is the + voltage side of the pot, typically 10V. So when stopped the wiper signal will be 0 volt, when running not fast it will see 2v, when running and fast relay is energized it will see 8v. You will have to verify this before connecting the motor to the load. Good luck.

Kbeitz

I started the wireing today. I made it move under power just to see how it would work.
First thing I learned is that it does not need the electric brakes.
Thats one thing less I will need to wire up.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Good news!  Less is more in this case, right?  ;)

Kbeitz

Well today 5/14/15 it's finished.... I am so tired of working on this project. Next week I'm takeing a day and going for a cycle ride...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

I am impressed.  Now what?
gww

Kbeitz

Couple of neat things I added. So many people talk about sawing into the log dogs.
I put a bar on the head that will ether push the dog down or stop the mill before the blade hits.
See first picture. Then I added spring loaded stops so I can flip a switch to return the mill head
back to the starting spot at full speed. The spring loaded stop hits the limit switch and retracts as
the mill is coming to a stop. There is a secondary limit switch just in case the first one fails.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

The two electrical boxes had some changes....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on June 14, 2015, 06:17:54 PM
gww

Take a break and let the paint dry...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mesquite buckeye

Very cool. ;D When do we get to see some sawdust? 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Kbeitz

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 14, 2015, 07:18:57 PM
Very cool. ;D When do we get to see some sawdust? 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Hoping next week....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tmarch

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 14, 2015, 06:29:52 PM
gww

Heck if I had made that I would have to get sawdust ALLL over it and me right NOW.  :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Kbeitz

Quote from: tmarch on June 14, 2015, 08:08:31 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on June 14, 2015, 06:29:52 PM
gww

Heck if I had made that I would have to get sawdust ALLL over it and me right NOW.  :D

With the sticky paint the sawdust would be forever....
Think I'll wait....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Looks to be a real nice job. I know i'd be chomping at the bit waiting for that paint dry.

Magicman

That is a nice job and well done.  The R & R is deserved.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

It's clear you put a lot of thought and time into this mill.  You should be very proud!

Kbeitz

I took the mill for a ride today...
Handled real good...
I also stopped in at the junkyard and had it weighed ... 2340 lbs.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!