iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

There would be so many factors that would make that different. Course thread verses fine thread. Oiled or not...
Guess what I need is one of these.

[/quote]
Well dang-it, next time maybe I might ought to spend a few more seconds thinking on something before responding. :D
Good call and valid info, for sure.

gww

K
If you keep buying all this new stuff you are going to have to say you built "part" of the mill out of scrap stuff :laugh:.
cheers
gww

Kbeitz

I could just keep guessing and pinking the blade until I get a feel for it.

I was thinking of building a meter like the one above.
I don't think it would be hard to make one and I got lots of dial indicators.
Then all I would need to do is to find someone else's mill to check the blade tension for the first time to get a reading.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I really like the looks of that rustic pavilion!  I bet it took quite a lot of time to get together.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ox

I just did a quick search by typing in "homemade blade tension" and found some info for you.  I don't know how to post a link but search for the thread "blade tension".  It's the 4th one down using the search I just mentioned.  There's info there telling you how much stretch over a certain number of inches on your blade and other info.  It's only a single page post but full of information.  I was way off on my guess.  I'll copy and paste this next stuff:

My Linn has a 1 inch diameter hydraulic tensioner.  Suggested set point is 2300 psi for a 1.25 inch wide blade.
So 1 inch diameter is 1.27 sq inches, so about 1811 lbs of force.
You can also just attach a decent micrometer/caliper directly to the blade to measure the stretch.
I forget the formula, but something like a one thou stretch over 10 thou is so many lbs of force.
Found it:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7923.0.html

Money shots:
Lennox replied to my question and said 0.0025" on 5" test. (blade?)
============
I'm running 0.042" x 1 1/2" bands, but the strain should remain the same no matter what thickness or width.
Mounting the caliper, Don't try to get exactly 6.000", way too difficult, just get it close and then add 0.005" to it.
====
I gave Simonds a quick call and they said their Red Streaks should be stressed 25,000 to 30,000 psi.
Thus:
Stress = E * Strain
25,000 psi = (29,000,000 psi) * Strain
Strain = 0.00086 in/in
Having a distance of 6" gives 6" * 0.00086" = 0.005" deflection.
So, clamp the caliper, opened to 6.000", on your band with zero tension.  Then tension your band until it reads 6.005".  This will give 25,000 psi in the band.
For 30,000 psi your caliper should read 6.006"

Hopefully this helps.  Sounds simple enough, just spending a little time fiddle farting around but at least you'll know for future reference!  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on June 25, 2015, 08:30:08 AM
I just did a quick search by typing in "homemade blade tension" and found some info for you.  I don't know how to post a link but search for the thread "blade tension".  It's the 4th one down using the search I just mentioned.  There's info there telling you how much stretch over a certain number of inches on your blade and other info.  It's only a single page post but full of information.  I was way off on my guess.  I'll copy and paste this next stuff:

My Linn has a 1 inch diameter hydraulic tensioner.  Suggested set point is 2300 psi for a 1.25 inch wide blade.
So 1 inch diameter is 1.27 sq inches, so about 1811 lbs of force.
You can also just attach a decent micrometer/caliper directly to the blade to measure the stretch.
I forget the formula, but something like a one thou stretch over 10 thou is so many lbs of force.
Found it:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7923.0.html

Money shots:
Lennox replied to my question and said 0.0025" on 5" test. (blade?)
============
I'm running 0.042" x 1 1/2" bands, but the strain should remain the same no matter what thickness or width.
Mounting the caliper, Don't try to get exactly 6.000", way too difficult, just get it close and then add 0.005" to it.
====
I gave Simonds a quick call and they said their Red Streaks should be stressed 25,000 to 30,000 psi.
Thus:
Stress = E * Strain
25,000 psi = (29,000,000 psi) * Strain
Strain = 0.00086 in/in
Having a distance of 6" gives 6" * 0.00086" = 0.005" deflection.
So, clamp the caliper, opened to 6.000", on your band with zero tension.  Then tension your band until it reads 6.005".  This will give 25,000 psi in the band.
For 30,000 psi your caliper should read 6.006"

Hopefully this helps.  Sounds simple enough, just spending a little time fiddle farting around but at least you'll know for future reference!  :)

WOW   thanks...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

Timberwolf explains the flutter method of blade tensioning where you tighten till you get blade flutter and then tighten just till the blade flutter dissapears.
gww

Ox

x2 what gww said.  I end up between 2100 and 2300 psi when I do the flutter test, just about where they say it should be for my blades and mill.  It seems to work good for me in my situation!

Kbeitz

Well I got off to a good start extending my bed today.
My total cut lenght will be 26 feet 3 inches.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Cool!  I need a longer mill too.  Won't be happening for a while.

Long logs are h.e.a.v.y (er) :o

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

There ya go!  smiley_thumbsup

I had a monster black cherry last week I slabbed up 10/4 and had to use the hoe to turn it 90° for first cut.  Liked to have rolled the mill over.  Pulled the mill off the rocks I have the jacks sitting on.  That darn log was at least 3,000 lbs because I've moved cars around on the forks and this log was heavier.  Even with the longest Logrite I wouldn't have been able to turn it. 

Some say dogs are man's best friend.  I say it's hydraulics.  ;D

Kbeitz

Between the rain drops I finished up the extension today.
I can now cut up to 26 feet 3 inches. That should hold me for awhile.
I also changed out the cable that pulls the carrage for a longer one.
I bought the clothesline cable for the rubber coating to help pull.
So far I really like the different cable. The old cable has sound to it.
The new cable runs silent.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Alright!  Now you're cooking with gas!  It'll open up some doors for you for sure.

Kbeitz

It was a great day making lumber...
I got a question. Today while cutting I had the saw come to a screeching halt.
Something pinched the blade tight right in the middle of the log.
I needed to get a few wedges and drive the crack open to get the blade to move.
Would stress in the tree do this ? There was a big knot right where it happened.
After I got the blade loose I continued sawing with not other problems.
I never even had the blade slow down before let alone come to a fast stop like that.
Has this happened to any other people?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got the big one loaded and ready to cut....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

An easy way to get your logs to MOVE......
Second picture I welded in the handle and welded on a longer up/down leaver.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

The big one is cut....
Mill working great...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

K
your jack ideal is interesting.  Your pictures are great as always.  I don't know on the blade suddenly stopping.  The only time I had that happen was when the blade guide touched the log and the log was lose enough to shift further into the guide.  Everything stoped and my belt broke immediatly.  How close are your guides to your log?  Did your guide freeze up for a minute?  Did you have a dog high enough to touch a guide?"  Could a wood chip have gotten between the guide and blade?

It is cool when things work well and I am sure you are very proud and with good reason.
Cheers
gww

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on June 29, 2015, 10:52:22 PM
K
your jack ideal is interesting.  Your pictures are great as always.  I don't know on the blade suddenly stopping.  The only time I had that happen was when the blade guide touched the log and the log was lose enough to shift further into the guide.  Everything stoped and my belt broke immediatly.  How close are your guides to your log?  Did your guide freeze up for a minute?  Did you have a dog high enough to touch a guide?"  Could a wood chip have gotten between the guide and blade?

It is cool when things work well and I am sure you are very proud and with good reason.
Cheers
gww

No guide problem... It was the log pinching the blade. I had to drive two wedges one in from each side of the log to get my blade free. I though I was going to have to saw the chunk of wood off to get my blade out. It was really stuck. Log revenge shark bite. Wish I had a video of it when it happened.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Wow... Things add up....
Everything else I had from facrory clean ups over the years.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Yes they do add up. But much cheaper than buying one. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Nice pics, thanks for taking the time to post them.  Looks like you're on your way and doing well!
I've never had or seen a blade get pinched and stopped like that but anything is possible, and it clearly happened to you!  All sorts of strange and unusual things happen when milling.  I would be inclined to think that the blade that pinched didn't have enough set to the teeth if tension in a log stopped the blade like that.  Your blade could have heated up to the point of wadding up in the cut enough that it stopped but didn't break.  For me what worked was around .030 set for softwood and around .020 set for hardwood.  You can saw hardwood with .030 but it takes a lot more power and more sawdust is left on the boards.  Cutting softwood with a .020 usually ends up bad with wavy cuts and a hot blade with pitch buildup.  I generally nowadays just set at around .025 - .027 for everything and have had good luck with this.  It simplifies my blade stock.
Next year with tax returns I'll have to fab up an extension for my mill.  I can cut just over 17' now with a lot of messing around (it's hard milling at the maximum because of clearance issues all the time)  but I'd like to be able to cut at least 24' if needed.  It'll open up a niche for me and I could charge accordingly because I'd have the longest mill around.

Kbeitz

Yea it came screeching to a stop real fast. It first i thought something broke.
The v-belts started smoking before I got to the stop switch.
After I got it loose I put it right back into the same slot to restart my cut and it went right through.
I still had the wedges in holding it open.
Why does this have to happen to a newbe...
Well no harm done.
Next project.... Log arch... Got the wheels and spindles today.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I hope you share pics with the log arch build.  I really enjoy following your progress and seeing the pictures.  You also seem to have good ideas and a sharp mind which I unfortunately don't possess.  I hope to possibly get an idea or ten from a smarter feller!

Thank You Sponsors!