iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Ox on October 29, 2016, 10:57:10 AM
That's why I was trying to trade you mine.  ;)  I don't plan on dying here like I was 10 years ago so I need to get rid of my stuff.  I'll be darned if I die in a state that doesn't care about its upstate people and only focuses on that filthy city and its people.
Hey Ox, where you going to go?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ox

TT - I'll go to Kentucky or Alabama.  Not sure which yet, it's a toss up.  I have another 6 plus years to think on it.

K - do you have a sawdust diverter directly in front of your driven wheel?  Mine is just a rubber piece that actually slightly touches the blade and kind of scrapes the blade a bit.  It mostly keeps sawdust from building up on the wheels.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on November 04, 2016, 04:49:41 PM
TT - I'll go to Kentucky or Alabama.  Not sure which yet, it's a toss up.  I have another 6 plus years to think on it.

K - do you have a sawdust diverter directly in front of your driven wheel?  Mine is just a rubber piece that actually slightly touches the blade and kind of scrapes the blade a bit.  It mostly keeps sawdust from building up on the wheels.

That's next on my list of things to do...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

It took me all day to mill drill hole and bolt these 3 planks on.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Carson-saws

Looks like it cuts as good as it looks Sir.  Obviously a Man of many talents,,,I was curious..of all the mill builds on here..why hasn't anyone but a mill with the cantilever head?  So many on here clearly have the skills and knowledge.  No matter...the imagination and ingenuity of so many members is very cool to watch.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Kbeitz

Quote from: Carson-saws on November 04, 2016, 05:14:13 PM
Looks like it cuts as good as it looks Sir.  Obviously a Man of many talents,,,I was curious..of all the mill builds on here..why hasn't anyone but a mill with the cantilever head?  So many on here clearly have the skills and knowledge.  No matter...the imagination and ingenuity of so many members is very cool to watch.

You would need some serious steel to build a cantilever head mill. It takes some very heavy
stuff structure to hold the weight and stress a cantilever head puts out. Much easier to make one
with a track I would think.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

There was a member here who moved to Costa Rica, I think, who built a homemade cantilever head mill for extra large lumber.  I haven't seen him around in a while now...  The mill looked a lot like a big Woodmizer.  Painted red, I think.  Anyone know who I'm talking about?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Ox on November 04, 2016, 08:21:48 PM
There was a member here who moved to Costa Rica, I think, who built a homemade cantilever head mill for extra large lumber.  I haven't seen him around in a while now...  The mill looked a lot like a big Woodmizer.  Painted red, I think.  Anyone know who I'm talking about?

That would be Harold (username Fla._Deadheader) and it looks like he's not logged on since February. You can find lots of posts by him related to his mill by searching for posts with wide mill keywords and his username...

Hope he's ok down there in Costa Rica... Maybe his daughter who is a member (don't know her username) will see this and fill us in.

Herb

Ox

That's it!  Fla Deadheader!  Thanks for that, PC.  Don'tcha hate when you know you know something but it won't come out?

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Czech_Made

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 04, 2016, 05:06:31 PM

Too bad you are so far, I would help you. 

Kbeitz

Quote from: Czech_Made on November 07, 2016, 09:52:46 AM

Hey thanks...  :embarassed:
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Five more beams to go. When I was younger this was fun...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 07, 2016, 04:48:36 PM
Quote from: Czech_Made on November 07, 2016, 09:52:46 AM

Hey thanks...  :embarassed:

It cost me nothing  ;D  But people help me with roof and such, I believe in pay it forward, besides I would love to see your setup and all the toys  ;D

Kbeitz

I got all the 3" x 8" x 16' beams up ... Roofing comes next. Note... All the tin came from the junkyard.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Guess she won't sag, huh?  ;D  Looks good.  As a side note:  I hate you and your junkyard too.  ;)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on November 08, 2016, 05:16:24 PM
Guess she won't sag, huh?  ;D  Looks good.  As a side note:  I hate you and your junkyard too.  ;)

I had the ground all packed down real good all around the I-beams that it sits on .
I seen cracks in the dirt where the beam have flexed from the weight added to the roof.
Just for safety I'm adding removable winter legs out front. I could let one leg on the right
stay all the time without it being in my way. The left side the leg could stay until I would
need to cut something over 20 feet long. The middle leg would need to come out any time
I used my mill. So the left and middle will stay out all spring, summer and fall. They will all
have a fast hitch hookup. Might use 2" heavy wall pipe.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

I'm thinking about moving up near you just to be close to that junkyard.
HM126

Ox

That's a good plan, K.  I would have been hesitant with a big sloppy snow load with the bottom legs not being more than twice the length of the roof legs.  You'll likely only need your additional legs in a big snow, right?  Or after a hard winter and spring melt comes with rain.  Wet snow is how much heavier than regular?  Crazy the loads on our roofs are, huh?

Kbeitz

Speaking of rain... I kinda got rained out today.
So I welded up my snow support legs.
They just slip in the small chunk of stub pipe on top and it will
get a 1/2" bolt so it stays there until I take them out.
The third leg on the right can stay there all the time.
It's not in my way. One piece of roofing is laying on the roof.
Hope to finish it tomorrow.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Coming a long nicely. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 09, 2016, 06:25:28 PM
Coming a long nicely. 8) 8)

It's one job that I will be glad when it's done.
It's also one job that I did not expect to get done this year.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Kbeitz looking good it makes me tired and jealous watching you work on all your builds.  I am still waiting to see your log loader finished

CaseyK

Home built automated twin blade

Kbeitz

Quote from: larrydown60 on November 09, 2016, 06:53:07 PM
Kbeitz looking good it makes me tired and jealous watching you work on all your builds.  I am still waiting to see your log loader finished

Since I made my log deck on wheels I'm thinking that I'm
Not needing a log loader to trip over.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!