iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Propagating oaks from cuttings

Started by Lanier_Lurker, December 23, 2007, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

Anyone know how difficult it is to get cutting from oak trees to root?

I have found some small scarlet oaks that have such incredible color that they should be propagated somehow.  Transplanting is not really an option with these trees.

Furby

Well I don't really know much about it, but I don't think all trees can be rooted from cuttings.
I think you need to look at grafting the cuttings onto root stock in order to do what you are talking about.

tonich

Indeed Furby, grafting should work onto almost all tree species.
But in fact, oaks belong among trees propagated vegetatively
with the greatest difficulty. This means both: by rooting of cutting and by grafting.
Then again, grafting onto rootstock from one/two-year-old potted seedlings from direct sowing in deep pot units usually gives best results, when comes to our local oaks.

Lanier_Lurker,
Check this out!: http://www.rngr.net/Publications/tpn/17/pdf.2005-05-11.3026582706/file

Lanier_Lurker

Thanks for the link, Tonich.

Grafting is an interesting approach.  I worked on a pecan plantation many years ago and we once hosted a traveling crew that did some large scale field grafting using the whip technique in one of our seedling nurseries.  Watching a true professional execute this graft 40 to 60 times per hour is amazing.

Yes Furby, I seem to recall reading somewhere that oaks are very difficult to root from cuttings.  :-\

Tom

I was involved in a thread on Steve Nix's 'Forestry at About' that was talking about this rooting task.

Perhaps this link will work to take you there.

bitternut

I have noticed that a lot of oak trees show great color when they are small but seem to lose this characteristic as they age. They also lose the habit of retaining their leaves well into winter.

No science involved in this statement, just an observation I have acquired over the years.

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!