iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill Advice/Input Wanted

Started by Darrel, June 06, 2014, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

The search continues :P

This evening, my search turned up a LT70 for about half what everybody else is asking.  My first question is what's wrong with it. It's a 2003, don't yet know how many hours are on it, it has a 6' bed estension.  Cat diesel power.  Close enough to go see, only 2 Western states away.  (<500 miles). I have 20 years experience working in the lumber industry and know how to check bearings for wear and the like. I know signs of neglect when I see it.  I also recognize abuse of equipment. It is still way more than I wanted to spend but if the mill is in decent shape, it might be worth it.

I also found an LT15. At a good price, I could buy a tractor for the money I'd save even over the 88 LT40 and use it for log handling.  Not ideal, but would work till I made a little money.  And I wouldn't have to dip into other funds like I would have to with the LT70 mentioned above.

As of yet, I'm not in a hurry.  I thought about making a deposite on the 88 but decided against it.  I will be in its neck of the woods in August and can look at it then if it is still for sale and I'm still looking for a mill. if not I'll continue the search if I need to.
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

uler3161

I believe I saw the same mill on craigslist awhile back. I was also wondering why it was so cheap considering all the options on it. Even if you had to replace a bunch of bearings it's still a good buy.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

GAB

Darrel:
Please send me a PM with your number.
Are you on Mountain time?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Darrel

So if I'm looking at a used hydraulic mill with a two-plane clamp, what are some things I need to look for or issues I need to be aware of in regards to this clamping system.

Thanks
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

I personally do not know of any service or maintenance items on the clamp or log turner that would be a cause for concern.

Regarding the hydraulic pump, yes the motor brushes have a service life, but it probably would not be detectable.  Brush/bearing service would be ~$75 and the entire pump motors can be replaced locally for ~$175, so that is not a real issue.                   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Why is it taking Cal-PERS so freaking long to deposit my money into my account?   :-\   Several fine mills have gone to other homes.  Oh well.  I suppose there will always be another mill to adopt.
1992 LT40HD

Alligator

I have a very hard time being patient. My father was one of the most patient people ever born on the face of the earth. When he bought something he would wait, see what was almost exactly what he wanted go by. I could never understand, until he bought something. When he did it was always with money in pocket , under what he wanted to pay and exactly what he needed. DON'T rush, shop with money in hand and don't settle, what you want and need will be there when you need it. I can't gve you a lot of advice on band mills. Never sawed any lumber on one. But, I was raised by two of the best at the "art of the deal".

Patients. They want your money worse than you want their sawmill.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Darrel

You are so right Alligator,  but I saw a mill go up on Craigslist yesterday and I says to myself, "At that price it won't last long!"  It sold yesterday.
1992 LT40HD

Alligator

It' like it use to be with the girls. When I would go crazy over one I thought I had to have, Pop would say "Don't worry there will be another one come along in 15 minutes, shee will be prettier and richer. Sawmill will be the same. Your sawmill angel is probably just getting all the bad ones out of the way, for the right one when it comes along. :)
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

glassman_48

darrel,
I am glad you posted this, I am 61 years old and have had back problems forever from installing windshields in my glass business.  My thought was to purchase a basic small manual mill.  There is one 3 hours away for 2500 bucks.  I have a company that wants me to mill wood for fireplace mantels.  I have extra logs left over from my firewood processor that are to big to go through my machine so I have some larger logs readily available.  I may go with the manual just to see if I can build up a clientel for my sawing then upgrade after that.  I dont think at my age I could hand roll logs very long, I am hoping I can just do a few logs a week for the mantels and eventually upgrade.  I would try to make sure you have enough clients or possible clients lined up if you purchase a large machine, or wait for the "great deal" on a larger machine and if things dont work out, you can always sell it easily.  good luck,,,,,,,,,ed

Darrel

Ed, If I do buy a manual mill it will have some option of log turning other than a cant-hook such as wood-mizer's log deck package or a tractor.  I like to work, but I have my limits.  Can't-hooks have their place and even with the best hydraulics, you will find that you can't get by without one.  I also have a bad back and I find that the key to living pain free is the use of good body mechanics and knowing my limitations and living within those limits.  And good luck to you in your search.
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Going to go look at a 1993 LT40HD tomorrow.
1992 LT40HD

Tree Dan

The new LT15 Wide with a power feed looks real tempting.
I'm in the same boat as you Darrel, comparing a new 15 wide to a used LT40HD

Dan
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Bluejay27

I'd really steer towards a '98 or newer. I have a '98 super and many of the parts are identical to my brother's '08 LT40HD. I have the remote control, which will only really bite me when the wiring in the tank track needs repairs. But otherwise, parts are like with my Civic, cheap enough to keep it running.

I paid $15k last year at 2500 hours, so maybe a little high for an older mill, but it is in good shape and the motor looks fairly new. And it might be because the Kubota v1505-T apparently isn't stock and Wood-Mizer doesn't know when it was added. As far as parts go, most of the money I have in it is in a hydraulic motor and all the cam followers. I bought a bunch of 1 1/2" cam followers on ebay as industrial surplus. I bought mostly CR24UU and CRS-24, with the CR24UU being cheaper but not as well sealed, and intended to be regreased periodically through an included grease zerk. Wood-Mizer does a great job of having parts available, but a lot of it is off the shelf components. Then again, as with the cam followers, I'm sure Wood-Mizer is selling a better quality part.

And actually, I did have to buy one more major part today. I'm in college right now, so I'm focused more on making the mill run well until coursework dies down (ya right), but I noticed in my tinkering that the engine precleaner was broken. I didn't even know it had one until I read about them in an equipment magazine, thought "hey, I should get one of those" and ta da, I have one but the bearings are seized and the diesel shook the fins to pieces. So now I will have the same one as in the magazine (a turbo III model 50). And it definitely matters, because the air filter I installed 100 hours ago was already loading up with sawdust at one end.

As far as parts cost go, I didn't really include maintenance items (filters, fluids, and belts), but that's because maintenance means you must be cutting and it just gets factored into the hourly costs.

I also had to align the whole dang thing, but that doesn't cost anything. Just don't ask me how to align the drive wheel because I only have my brother's manuals and I don't even know how I'm supposed to fit a wrench in there, or at least how to get more than 1/20th of a turn out of each nut. Don't worry, it isn't even off enough to matter, but if I'm going to align the whole mill, I better check everything.

Overall, I'm sure the older mills are just as worthwhile to keep running, but knowing the parts will always be available might be worth factoring into your decision.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Darrel

Hey all, I've been pretty much where there ain't no internet so haven't been on line but I did get a pretty good deal on a 92 LT40HD.  I did buy a new be brake strap and a rebuild kit for the hydrolic blade tensioner and will be installing these this week.  I will also be going through the alignment process step by step.  I've only cut two logs so far and the need for alignment is quite evident.  The boards are square with no taper but I can't clamp the cant with the clamp in the low position, the bed rails are too high. So far, I'm having fun.

Here is a picture of it the day it first came home.

Another view of it with the blueberries in the background.
1992 LT40HD

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

She doesn't look bad at all for a mill of that age...still looks orange and not salmon :).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new mill!

Check things out, get them right, then start making some sawdust!

---------------

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tree Dan.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Darrel

It looks better in the pictures than in real life. It spent most of its time outside but it does have a carraige cover that kept the paint on the saw head looking pretty good.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!