iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello, first post.

Started by Timberwerks, July 03, 2004, 06:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and proud to be a member. My name is Dale and I am a Furniture Maker who is now venturing into milling my own lumber. I am also going to get started in firewood sales this year also. On that topic I am looking for a heavy duty log splitter and I am leaning towards the Timberwolf brand. Does anyone have any experiance or comments on these?

Thanks
Dale

Tom

Welcome to the forum, timberwerks.

We have a few firewood marketeers here and I'm sure you will be hearing form them. :)

Sackett

Welcom Timberwerks,
   Glad to have you here,just what this forum needs,another Dale.

Dail

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Timberwerks! Lots of nice people here.You'll have to post some pictures of your woodworking. There are quite a few woodworkers on the forum and we love to see what others have done. :).
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dewwood

Welcome Timberwerks!  Glad to have you aboard.  We were just up in northern WI about a week and a half ago, beautiful country.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Timberwerks

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll make sure to post pic's of furniture in the near future.

Dale

Bro. Noble

Dale,

Welcome to the forum.

I've been to Mequon.  One thing that sticks in my memory is a vacant field where they used to raise small animals for fur.  They had to put wire under their cages to keep them from tunneling out.  They were out of business when we were there, but the cost of removing the buried wire was more than the land was worth so the land sat vacant :-/  It's probably all houses now. :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Timberwerks

That area you are talking about is just minutes from me. It is still vacant and the wire pens are still scatterd in the brush. That area is starting to be cleaned up a bit for future construction. This actually is the area I am hoping to get some wood from, either firewood or logs for milling.
This might be worth taking some pics of, maybe it will bring back a few memories.

Dale

Bro. Noble

Dale,

There's a guy that puts up hay from the fields around there.  He used to milk,  but quit in the last few years.  He's a friend of my brother-in-law.

Did you grow up in that area?  Do you have family in the Mequon schools?  

Timberwerks

I grew up in Glendale 10 min south of Mequon. I do know a few people in the Mequon, Cedarburg, Grafton area. I actually was the caretaker for some of the old mills in those areas. I still watch over the Grafton Mill and from time to time the Cedar Creek Settlement. http://www.cedarcreeksettlement.com/
 As a matter of fact my store Timberwerks was located in the Settlement. I sold wood carvings and furniture that I built.

Dale

Bro. Noble

Dale,

I remember going through that historic community on the way to the Lake.  Very interesting.  Looks like we may be up there again about the first week in August (on the way to the piggy roast).

My nephews used to be in the Mequon news in athletic events (Mcleans).  More recently one made the news for crashing his dad's plane on takeoff.  He was impressing his (ex) girlfriend ::)  They both walked away and she evidentally kept on walking ;)

Timberwerks

Keep me posted when you think you may be in this area, maybe you can stop by the shop. By then I should be set up for milling.

Dale

Bro. Noble

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on July 04, 2004, 01:16:23 PM
Dale,

I remember going through that historic community on the way to the Lake.  Very interesting.  Looks like we may be up there again about the first week in August (on the way to the piggy roast).

My nephews used to be in the Mequon news in athletic events (Mcleans).  More recently one made the news for crashing his dad's plane on takeoff.  He was impressing his (ex) girlfriend ::)  They both walked away and she evidentally kept on walking ;)

Bumped up for Pigman :D :D :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the Forum Timberworks ;D ;D 8) 8) Im looking forward to seeing some pics of your work Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jasperfield

I've got a TW6 that's about three years old. Normally I'll use it only for breakdown of larger diameter (18", and up to 36") wood. Then I use the Super Split splitter, which is my favorite, and a pleasure to use.

The TW6 is quite heavy, too heavy to move around by hand even with two persons. However, it comes with a hitch. But, when it's set up, it'll split some big, gnarly, and hard pieces.

My complaints are:
1) The engine cooling fan blows hot air onto the operator. This would not be a problem in cold weather. It is a problem when it's not cold.
2) The log lift is mounted opposite the operator side of the machine. Don't misunderstand, it's easy to operate, but (with one person) you have to walk around the machine to load another round. In consideration of the cost of the machine, the lift should be made moveable to the operator side as well. In doing so, you won't have to move the machine to access another pile of rounds.

Notwithstanding, I am pleased with it, and would buy it again. It is very strong.

I will say this, though; The Super Split is, by far, the better splitter for 16" and smaller diameter wood. It will easily split much larger wood. If it had a log lift and a bigger outfeed table to handle really large pieces, I'd buy one.

Jeff

Just in case some of you did not notice, I'm sure the original poster's question has met some sort of answer by now as this thread was started in July of 2004. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Bro. Noble was just trying to refresh and o'farts memory. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warbird

Aww Jeff.  You shouldn't have said anything.  This was highly entertaining!

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm sorry for the confusion, or glad for the entertainment in Warbird's case ;)  I just wanted to give Pigman a little background on the thread about Jeff and Christine meeting in the air :D  He knew that Jeff is my Nephew.                                                                                                                                                                                               By the way,  I did return to Mequon on the way to the pigroast that year and looked for Timberwerks and his business without any success.

Pigman,  I don't know if the girl in the plane with Jeff was Christine or not.  They did go to HS together.  It would be neat if that was her and they made up :D :D  Oh well, they are going to have lots of stories to tell their kids and grandkids anyway.  Like the time they were on the Today show Aug. 1st 2010 8) 8)

Gary_C

What, they were on the Today show? Guess I missed that.   :)

Course I miss all of them.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Meadows Miller

I was only six years late fellas that will teach me to pay alittle more att in the future  :o :) ;) :D :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!