iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mom was right----again

Started by breederman, July 03, 2008, 10:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

Just got back from the ER.  My arm started to hurt this evening and when I complained to my wife she noticed the red streak running up it and "suggested" that I see a doc.  I had gotten a blister about the size of a silver dollar in the palm of my hand and really thought nothing of it except it hurt like heck to stretch it out or bang it.  Now I have had IV antibiotics and they packed my hand and wrapped it up like a prize fighter!
  I guess mom was right when she said "wash your hands!" ;D
Together we got this !

pigman

Where do you put that arm in your line of work? :P
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don P

I hope they sent you home with more annie bees. This is no time of year to play with that stuff if you work hard and hot. Keep a close eye on it.
I did that to a shin during dog days and went in when I couldn't walk. The injury was so small I couldn't tell him how or when I did it. The doc told me that 50 years ago they would have amputated right then. I think it set up shop in the bone. It came back once several years ago and I did another round. With the resistant strains we keep breeding an infection is nothing to play with.

Sprucegum

Just so you know..... those antibiotics kill the good bacteria with the bad.
After you heal up you should eat healthy foods(yogurt,veggies,red meat) to kick start you good bacteria again. You need them to properly digest all that good food you just ate  ;D  ;D

thecfarm

That red streak is nothing to fool with.Glad you got it in time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mr Mom

what does the red streak come from??
why does it happen i never see it or heard about it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Ironwood

Typically a deep infection heading back toward  yer HEART. Nothing to mess with. Got one from bumping a coral outcropping while mountain biking in the mountains on Oahu. Usually coral is immeadiate antibiotics due to it is a growing culture anyhow. Other infections take time to get their "steam up", either way it is bad news. Their right about todays resistant strains, kill you in no time. Scary times for us humans.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Tom

Yep, that red streak is what we used to call "Blood Poisoning".  It used to kill folks or cause you to lose a limb.  Now it can usually be combatted if you get to a Doctor in time for anti-biotics.

There's some bad bugs out there these days.  Some of the worse are found in a hospital.

Ironwood

My son had a Staph infection around his heart 5 years ago,  from where thay had operated on him (four month old at the time). The doctors opened him back up and "cleaned him out" and put him on the biggest big gun antibio they had at the time. It was a GRAVE situation, had we taken him home and it could have gone a day or two more unnoticed he may not have made it. They put a "weep tube" around both sides of the heart to let the fluid drain. I was there when they pulled it out, %^&^%$# it was LONG. nearly passed out watching it come out from his skin. After seeing the parents with the plastic ID badges for the Peds. Intensive Care Unit (PICU)  (we had the stick on paper ones) I will never feel so bad for a 40+ year old that has died, the real trageties are the little ones who have never gotten a chance to live. P.S. he is completely fine and healthy as a horse now (Thank you God)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

Thank God, indeed, Ironwood.  Most Staph infections are bad news.  My dad got one a couple of years ago.  He had a resistant strain called MRSA.  They had to put a catheter in his arm that ran to his heart so they could pump in huge amounts of very strong antibiotics right to his heart.  It was basically a pipeline to his heart.

It was pretty freaky because he had waited to go to the doc for a while.  He thought it was just a bad pimple or a boil on his upper leg.  He basically did all of the wrong things and ended up with a fair chance of dying.

And the antibiotics they have to pump into you are crazy strong these days.  You do *not* want to be one of the few who have bad reactions to them.

breederman, you all cleared up from that now?

thecfarm

Seemed like every time I went to the doctor for a bad cut,stiches,they would preach about the red streak going up the arm.They would want to see me as soon as I noticed it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

My Brother (last monday) had to have a central line put in for kidney dialisus as he seems to have a bad problem.   this is 2nd time of having problems with what seemed to be a food posining  or bacterial food problem.  seems he has a bunch of scaring/ boils on his kidneys that stopped them from functioning right.   he was making all water as normal, but wasn't drinking enough mostly those dang energy drinks and coffee .  doc said it is coming popular to have similar problems when people drink a lot of those drinks.   Now he had little outward signs other than feeling warn down and low energy as well as slight discolorations of skin and pimple like or ingrown hair like spots on his legs.   Doc said this is sign of problems he was hospitalized for 3 weeks first time and docs seemed to think it was something he ate.   back last fall when the big food scare was going on with onions.  like tomatoes are now but he never ate any according to him.

Mom told him to drink more water and leave those dang drinks alone now he has 2 almost bad kidneys...    and will require dialisius until it clears up or ???

anyhow be warned not to drink a lot of thos drinks water, beer milk are all good though :)

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

breederman

I am taking more antibiotics. My hand hurts but the streak is gone. I went to work today,wore a nitrile glove over it.  It is my "money" hand. ;)
Together we got this !

Fla._Deadheader

Don't you use those loooong plastic gloves ???  That's what our Breeder used, 30+ years ago ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tcsmpsi

Infections, even at the very beginning, are nothing to fool around with.

Back in '72 when I lost a piece of my heart and lungs, I had staph set in.  I had IV of continuous penicillin and methicillin, 48 million units every 24 hrs (that's 8 large bags) for almost 3 months, in which time I died at least twice.  That much running through burns out veins rather quickly.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

breederman

Always use long ob gloves but they have been known to leak :'(
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!