iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak for whiskey barrels

Started by ID4ster, December 02, 2013, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ID4ster

There is an interesting article in the Nov 2013 issue of "The Atlantic". The article is by Wayne Curtis and is titled "The New Science of Old Whiskey" While the entire article is interesting the part about the use of a single oak tree to make a barrel and the use of different parts of the oak tree to make different types of whiskey, tree bottom for rye and tree top for wheat, is the type of knowledge, that as a forester and one that wants to get the maximum amount of $$$$$$'s for my client, that I'm always interested in obtaining. Its an article well worth acquiring and reading if you deal with barrel makers or are just interested in the science of good whiskey. Even that single malt scotch Texan that haunts this board might  find it worthwhile.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

scsmith42

Interesting article - thanks for sharing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

samandothers

My daughter worked in Kentucky this summer as an intern.  Took a week off work and went up to visit and while there did the 'Bourbon Trail' tour.  It was enjoyable and learned quite a bit about bourbon.

Thank You Sponsors!