iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup tires

Started by Dwood01, July 21, 2020, 05:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwood01

Not quite sure if this is the correct place for this but, I am looking on getting some new tires for my truck and not quite sure what ones to get i am looking at the toyo m55 but not to sure if they are any good. Any recommendations are appreciated. 
Case 825 Skid King With Backhoe Attachment
1991 Ford F250

scsmith42

I've been using Michelin LTX's for about 20 years and have been very pleased with their performance on 16" rims.

I was underwhelmed with their performance on the 19.5" rims though.

Usually we netted 70K - 80K miles from the 16" rim tires and they stayed in balance the entire time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Logger RK

Iv had good luck with Firestone Transforce on 16 inch rims. 

GRANITEstateMP

What vehicle is it going on? What's most important, ride quality, price, mileage, noise? Mostly on road, or job sites? That will help with recommendations.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Dwood01

Its going on a 2007 Chev 2500 hd, ride quality doesn't really matter as the truck will be mainly 60% off road which would consist of gravel with sharp rocks/some sticks   And 40% highway, would like a moderate noise tire. Price aint really that big of a deal per say dont want to spent 1000$ a tire though 
1991 Ford F250

Onthesauk

My vote too for Michelin LTX
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Bruno of NH

In New Hampshire I find for my use Copper mud and snows are my go to tire.
2 sets one studded for winter use.
But have run them without studs with good results. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DDW_OR

my 2 cents
go to a wrecking yard and see if there are any good off-road tires.
"let the machines do the work"

Skeans1

A lot of the crummys here run Cooper Discover ST's that's what we have on our F150 crummy, my crummy a 1 ton crew cab long box is running Nitto Trail Grapplers I've had less issues with flats on the mainlines where we can run up to 30 miles off highway daily.

Wudman

I have had very good success with Nitto Duragrapplers and BF Goodrich All Terrains.  I ran the BFGs for almost 80,000 miles before a belt broke in one and I retired the set.  They still had some tread at the time.  Both tires pull decent off-road and don't make a ton of fuss on the highway.  In normal conditions, I drive about 3,000 miles per month split between in woods work and highway miles from job to job.  I have Coopers under my pick-up now as my local dealer had a set in stock as I came in with two flats.  We'll see how they hold up.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Crusarius

hankook dynapro ATM
Nokian Rotiiva AT

Both work great on and offroad, still good on street. Great in the snow. Excellent wear characteristics. I have bought 4 sets of the hankook and been on several different vehicles, highly recommend, I am still on the first set of Rotiiva and will be buying again when its time.

only reason I switched to the rotiiva was because the ATM was not available in my size.

The rotiiva are on my 2015 f-150 that I drive every day. The ATM's were on grand cherokees.

sawguy21

We ran Toyo M606 on the Chev's in our logging fleet, it was the only tire we could find that would stand up to the abuse those clowns handed out. The Fords got M55 becaause M606 was not available in that size. It was a rugged tire with good traction but rode hard, the truck crow hopped on washboard. They wouldn't last if aired down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

62oliver

I've had 2 sets of Cooper Discovery on my 2500HD, ready for a 3rd soon, I like them
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Plankton

All of our trucks have cooper discover st max tires on them. Used them for years nice balance between snow and mud tread

Oliver05262

I'm running Toyo Open Country C/T on my truck now. Year around on the rear and wintertime all around.Howl just a little, wear flat on the rear and wear the outside of the tread very little on the front.  I do rotate them, but not on any schedule, just when they're off for brakes or some other reason. I put some highway tread tires on the front for the summer (Goodyear; one new and one almost new takeoff). 275/75R18. Got some extra rims so I only had to mount them one time. 
I used to run Cooper S/T Max on my trucks. They are good tires in mud or snow, and a little cheaper than the Tokyo's. I had a brain fart and went with the Toyo, but I am really happy with them.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

barbender

I ran a set of Toyo M55's (which are discontinued from what I understand) on my Dodge dually, excellent off road traction and they wore pretty well for how block of a tire they are. They were really noisy on the highway though! My 01 Chevy 2500hd got Toyo Open Country C/T last fall, they've been wearing well. Good off road (I don't think as good as the M55 but 2 different rigs) decent on snow and surprisingly low road noise. We have an 03 Suburban that the previous owner lifted and put bigger tires on it. I think they are 18", 315's. Cooper S/T I believe, all I know is those big things have wore like iron. They kinda suck on snow but are great off road.
Too many irons in the fire

Dwood01

Quote from: barbender on July 22, 2020, 09:12:15 PM
I ran a set of Toyo M55's (which are discontinued from what I understand)
I can get them through a company called integra tire here in town. but that's about the only place I can locate them.
1991 Ford F250

Walnut Beast

Maybe look at Yokohama geolander 

TroyC

I have bought several sets of Hankook. Even put some 22.5's on my motorhome. Recently put load range E on my 4x4 and they have all been great. They run true and balance out with minimum weights. 

I've used Micheline for 20 years. Motorhome Michelins were terrible, less than 20K and were unusable. Car and pickups had good luck with Michelins.

The Hankooks are great tires. I think they even have a plant in the US now. They are half price from the Michelins. Many of the new BMW's or Mercedes have Hankooks as standard tires.

barbender

We've gotten good service out of the Hankook Dynapro ATM on our woods pickups. I put those on my dually as well, haven't put many miles on them. I have noticed they tend to load up, they don't clean out that well so they don't seem as good offroad.
Too many irons in the fire

Satamax

Quote from: Plankton on July 22, 2020, 03:12:10 PM
All of our trucks have cooper discover st max tires on them. Used them for years nice balance between snow and mud tread
That's my next set of off road tires, i think. 
Another option, which i would be really interested in. 
Nokian rockproof. I have heard some Australians say that they couldn't kill that tire, driving only off road. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 21, 2020, 11:01:39 PM
A lot of the crummys here run Cooper Discover ST's that's what we have on our F150 crummy, my crummy a 1 ton crew cab long box is running Nitto Trail Grapplers I've had less issues with flats on the mainlines where we can run up to 30 miles off highway daily.
What in the Earnest P. Worrell is a crummy?
by the way, I have run BF Goodrich TA off roads on my last 4 trucks. Very good balance between on and off road, not too loud on the road.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Walnut Beast

The county uses limestone rock on the county roads around here and that chews any tires up 

Old Greenhorn

HA! I guess this one should be added to the FF Dictionary, I thought it was already there. A crummy is the truck that is relegated to getting crew and/or tools and parts into and out of the logging site, either coming out from town, or the trail head. Usually this was the 'crummiest' truck in the fleet because it often does not even leave the woods and you could 'get away' with a lot in the way of road worthiness. ;D
 My crummy is just my Mule, it's all I have, but I am a one man show working in a small area, so it works for me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DWyatt

I ran the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on my last truck. They were great off the pavement and I still pulled 75k miles doing a lot of highway driving.

Thank You Sponsors!