iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures

Started by ManjiSann, October 31, 2019, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on November 13, 2019, 11:30:01 AM
Pretty soon we're going to see  Manjisann's today's happy customer posts.  ;)
Oooooh That'd be awesome!
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 13, 2019, 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 13, 2019, 08:30:36 AM
Quote from: JoshNZ on November 13, 2019, 05:36:53 AM
You need to get a lathe =D. The short knotty ugly pieces that you don't want to mill, love going on a faceplate!
There's an idea  :)  I don't know where I'd put a lathe in my shop, it's rather packed at the moment. If nothing else I have a friend that is planning to get a lathe, I'll have to see if he'd like the pieces  :)
Brandon

Failing that you can always sell turning blanks. If you cut smaller 2-3" slabs into round discs then dry them, wood turner's will pay for them, over here at least. Particularly figured stuff. Burls and crotches etc
I've thought of trying that. Sounds like I should really look into it.
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Milled a few more pieces.

This is the other half of the nice ones from the other day. This side was laying on the dirt for a few months so it has a bit more character  ;D

Once cut though it's very pretty I think. I'm excited to see what it'll look like sanded/planed and with some Tung Oil 

I do need to come up with some sort of clamp/jig or something, the small pieces don't like to stay still once the chain hits them.

Cut up another larger piece, it was heavy enough it stayed still decently. I was feeling kinda lazy so I cut the flat side with the saw instead of mounting a guide

I think it has a pretty color and should look nice sanded and oiled

This one needed a bit of a trim so I knocked a few of the branch pieces off

Ready for milling

I'm not sure what I'll do with the pieces. The milling was a bit twisted as I wasn't paying as close attention to the jig hugging the log as I should have been. it's not severe and might even straighten in the drying...

All in all a productive couple of hours.  Hopefully I can get some logs soon, or I guess I can free hand mill some of the smaller bits 

Brandon 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 13, 2019, 08:22:38 PMI do need to come up with some sort of clamp/jig or something, the small pieces don't like to stay still once the chain hits them.

If you are using your short ladder as a work bench, you could use some pipe straps (that look like the ohm symbol) around the ladder rungs and screw into your log.  If you are using some 2x4 or 2x6 boards on your saw horses, just screw up through them into your log.  Probably only need screws long enough to bite in an inch.  Just don't cut down too far!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Make another mill for your saw, use tracks (can be made of wood) and a frame to hold the saw at the desired height.

You know it's going to happen eventually, might as well get it over with. ;D

Then you will have two mills but only need one saw, the current mill for big logs and portability and the new mill for smaller and medium logs at home.

Kind of like this

Milling 6x6 cedar posts - YouTube

or this

Jonsered 600+ Chainsaw mill cutting planks - YouTube

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 13, 2019, 08:54:16 PM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 13, 2019, 08:22:38 PMI do need to come up with some sort of clamp/jig or something, the small pieces don't like to stay still once the chain hits them.

If you are using your short ladder as a work bench, you could use some pipe straps (that look like the ohm symbol) around the ladder rungs and screw into your log.  If you are using some 2x4 or 2x6 boards on your saw horses, just screw up through them into your log.  Probably only need screws long enough to bite in an inch.  Just don't cut down too far!
Brilliant! I'm thinking your idea will work great. I already lose a bit due to the depth of the ladder sides vs the rungs and I don't expect to hug the sides with the chainsaw chain so an inch screw should work just great. Thanks for the idea! 
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 13, 2019, 10:14:40 PM
Make another mill for your saw, use tracks (can be made of wood) and a frame to hold the saw at the desired height.

You know it's going to happen eventually, might as well get it over with. ;D

Then you will have two mills but only need one saw, the current mill for big logs and portability and the new mill for smaller and medium logs at home.

Kind of like this

Milling 6x6 cedar posts - YouTube

or this

Jonsered 600+ Chainsaw mill cutting planks - YouTube
I think I know what you're talking about and I think you're right. A sort of bandsaw type set up but with the chainsaw as the cutter, in my mind at least, would have some advantages such as not having to set up a jig for the first cut each time, or supporting the weight of the whole contraption myself. The CSM gets a bit weighty after a while  :)  Something to plan for over the winter as the snow is flying and I'm cozy warm by the computer  ;D

Brandon 

ManjiSann

The more I think about Hilltops suggestion the more I like the idea. I'm toying with a cube sort of thing with wheels on the bottom that would track along the side of the ladder or some sort of rail system I could fabricate. Going to let it keep percolating in the ol' brain box and see what I ultimately come up with.  When I design something I tend to start out simple, over complicate the life out of it then get frustrated and simplify it again... it's my process are you surprised  :D :D

My unfinished bathroom now wood drying room is starting to get kinda full  8)

I sort of wish I could cut a standard length, in my mind it'd make stickering and stacking a bit easier.

On the subject of stickering, I know you need to space between boards to allow for air flow. I'm using 3/4" thick stickers, is there such a thing a too narrow or wide a sticker? So would a 1" wide sticker be better than say a 1/2" or a 2"?  I've read of some people asking about using pvc pipe as stickers and it was pointed out that the narrow contact area could/would cause divots due to the compression on said narrow area. On the other side, if the sticker is too wide it'll inhibit drying in that area. So I'm guessing a 1"x1" sticker is more or less considered optimal?  No, not trying to overthink it, just wondering on the variables.

Brandon 

Hilltop366

I see Norwood makes a " ladder frame" mill. You adjust the saw height for depth of cut.
https://www.norwoodsawmills.com/en_us/portamill-pm14

Then there is the Logosol, where you adjust the log height.

https://www.logosol.com/store/sawmills/chain-sawmills/

This is a 16hp one I made 20 years ago (vertical V twin lawn tractor engine), I don't think I would use a mono rail if I made another, two tracks would be so much easier to build. I sold it years ago but every once in a while I see it come up for sale on Kijiji as it makes its way around the province. Looks like the last person added a electric winch for lift and a power feed.

Sawmill homemade / home built chainsaw mill - YouTube

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 14, 2019, 09:56:34 AMOn the subject of stickering,

Mentioned elsewhere, get some store-bought 1x2 kiln dried.  Cheaper than you can make them and way faster ;)  If you really want to make some, don't make them square as they really won't be...  I've got a lot of 3/4x1.  Then you know which way you are setting them and there won't be variation in thickness.  I also had found a ton (500+) of 2x2's in a 42" length (free).  I routed (used a shaper) a notch down two sides to make them look like an H.  That was to allow better air flow through the 2" (1-3/4) contact area.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 14, 2019, 12:59:43 PMMentioned elsewhere, get some store-bought 1x2 kiln dried.  Cheaper than you can make them and way faster

Too True!  

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 14, 2019, 12:59:43 PMIf you really want to make some, don't make them square as they really won't be...  I've got a lot of 3/4x1.  Then you know which way you are setting them and there won't be variation in thickness.

That's a good point. I'll use this idea going forward.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 14, 2019, 12:22:11 PM
I see Norwood makes a " ladder frame" mill. You adjust the saw height for depth of cut.
https://www.norwoodsawmills.com/en_us/portamill-pm14

Then there is the Logosol, where you adjust the log height.

https://www.logosol.com/store/sawmills/chain-sawmills/

This is a 16hp one I made 20 years ago (vertical V twin lawn tractor engine), I don't think I would use a mono rail if I made another, two tracks would be so much easier to build. I sold it years ago but every once in a while I see it come up for sale on Kijiji as it makes its way around the province. Looks like the last person added a electric winch for lift and a power feed.

Sawmill homemade / home built chainsaw mill - YouTube
Goes to show there's multiple ways to do things :D  I assume the interior home shots on your video are of your house or one you did? Love the timber work and paneling, just amazing looking!
I've been kinda trying to avoid making anything of the sizes you've shown but I think I may want to reconsider. If I'm seriously going to be milling I think a raised bed of some sort would be ideal whether I use the CSM jig I have now or build a spiffy carriage to hold the chainsaw. I don't enjoy kneeling or bending over for any real length of time.
Got some serious thinking and planning to do over the winter.
Brandon

ManjiSann

I figure I need a supply of logs of some sort if I am going to justify building much of anything so in an effort to help drum up some I posted an ad on our version of CL stating I'm interested in logs but I'm not a tree service so can't touch them unless they're already on the ground (the ad is a bit more detailed ;).)

I don't expect anything amazing to come of it but it's free so it doesn't hurt to try :)  I figure the more people know the better the chances something will come my way.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

My moisture meter arrived yesterday, a week or more before it was estimated to be here!  8) 8)

Tested some of the wood I've been cutting with it and found the results interesting. The fresh stuff I cut two days ago was in the 50% range while the stuff I cut a few weeks ago was in the 25% range. I tested a small sticker I'd cut a week or more ago and it tested below 4% and a piece of maple and a 2x4 both didn't register depending on where I tested. I suspect the low numbers are due to not being able or willing to push the needles in far enough as I don't want to break the thing  :(  I'm thinking a 1/16" hole drilled right before I test might yield more accurate results. I think I also read that a sacrificial board is sometimes needed so you can cut it up to test. I haven't gone that far yet as I'm just playing around with it for now but it's something I'll need to keep in mind in the future. I'll have to do some searches on the forum and the interwebs to see if I can find more tips and tricks for using the meter.

All in all I think it's a good purchase. It has 4 density modes for different lumber species but only lists a couple dozen. The instructions suggest using mode 3 if the species isn't listed. I'm thinking I'll try and look up different species and see if I can't come up with my own list based on densities or other criteria I find as I search. I'm sure mode 3 will be just fine to get me in the ball park though which is all I need at the moment.

Brandon 

Nebraska

Congratulations  on the meter.  8)  My second hand lignomat meter arrived, two days ago as well via ebay.  It works and has the temp and species  charts with it, I'm going to try  a couple stainless steel nails centered  in a couple test pieces  as the pins are pretty short and probably only accurate for a short 3/4" thickness. I've got some slabs  and a little basswood I want to watch.  It will be interesting. Just haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet.

btulloh

There are specific gravity charts readily available for the different species.  Specific gravity for the most part correlates with conductivity and will give you the info you need for correction.  

Keep in mind also that moisture content above 30% cannot be accurately determined with a moisture meter.   Generally that's ok, because that's not the range you're interested in.  The oven dry method is the only way to reliably determine higher mc's.  There are lots of threads on here discussing these things so a little searching will pay off.

There are several good publications from the government agencies about drying and storing hardwood and softwood lumber.  They are very comprehensive and enlightening.  They are available as PDF's and easily found and downloaded.

Keep up the good work.
HM126

captain_crunch

I can promise you that milling on ground is tough duty saw blows sawdust up in your face a set of car ramps would let you get a little bit off the ground 
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

ManjiSann

Quote from: captain_crunch on November 16, 2019, 03:04:10 AM
I can promise you that milling on ground is tough duty saw blows sawdust up in your face a set of car ramps would let you get a little bit off the ground
Hadn't thought about the dust in the face aspect of milling on the ground but now that you point it out it makes total sense. I hadn't thought of car ramps, might be the most economical way of doing it. They already have the tire divot so the log will more or less stay where you want it without rolling away AND I can use them for my car  ;D  I'm seriously digging the idea!
I've thought it's a shame I can't attach some sort of sawdust collector to the saw, especially on the fruit wood. I wonder if the sawdust would work well in a smoker  ???
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: btulloh on November 15, 2019, 11:07:26 AM
There are specific gravity charts readily available for the different species.  Specific gravity for the most part correlates with conductivity and will give you the info you need for correction.  

Keep in mind also that moisture content above 30% cannot be accurately determined with a moisture meter.   Generally that's ok, because that's not the range you're interested in.  The oven dry method is the only way to reliably determine higher mc's.  There are lots of threads on here discussing these things so a little searching will pay off.

There are several good publications from the government agencies about drying and storing hardwood and softwood lumber.  They are very comprehensive and enlightening.  They are available as PDF's and easily found and downloaded.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for pointing this out! I used my amazing searchfu skills and found a couple publications by the gvmt on the subject of specific gravity and also on wood drying and storage and printed them out so I can read and hopefully absorb them  :P
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on November 15, 2019, 10:50:56 AM
Congratulations  on the meter.  8)  My second hand lignomat meter arrived, two days ago as well via ebay.  It works and has the temp and species  charts with it, I'm going to try  a couple stainless steel nails centered  in a couple test pieces  as the pins are pretty short and probably only accurate for a short 3/4" thickness. I've got some slabs  and a little basswood I want to watch.  It will be interesting. Just haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet.
Nice score! 
Brandon

doc henderson

depends on how much bar oil is in the saw dust, unless you can find bacon flavored bar oil! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jeepcj779

Or you could use renderings from bacon as bar oil.

Nebraska

Never thought about the chainsaw dust in a smoker box, use canola oil for bar oil and rip a piece to give you some long noodles to pack in that box. 

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 16, 2019, 07:48:46 AM
depends on how much bar oil is in the saw dust, unless you can find bacon flavored bar oil! :D
Quote from: jeepcj779 on November 16, 2019, 01:07:36 PM
Or you could use renderings from bacon as bar oil.

OOOOH if I'm cutting maple logs it'd smell like maple bacon!!!!!  8) 8)

Quote from: Nebraska on November 16, 2019, 11:04:00 PM
Never thought about the chainsaw dust in a smoker box, use canola oil for bar oil and rip a piece to give you some long noodles to pack in that box.
I've looked at the noodles and thought the same thing! I'll have to give it a try.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

I keep an eye on the local version of CL, probably to the point of obsessively  ::) but it pays off so I suppose it's less obsession and more just practicality. Most of the time it's a bit frustrating because I see trees that the owners have already cut down to firewood size which makes sense given the market they are aiming for but dang it some of that would have been great if they'd have left it long. 

But every few weeks there's a gem, like this guy

I'd texted the owner a couple times and he didn't respond (his ad said to text him so *shrug* whatever) and I almost didn't call because I don't want to make a nuisance of myself but I figure if the ad is still up then it's fair game for a call or two. First call he answered and I chatted with him and explained what my plans were and he was cool with it all. 

My best mate agreed to come help and I'm glad he did. It was all the three of us could do to load the logs in. They are around 24" diameter or more and I cut them 4' long so I'm guessing the weights at about 500lbs each  :o :o  After a bit of work we got them loaded 

I REALLY wanted a couple of the larger branches as they were big enough to make nice boards but I'm guessing we had 1500 lbs in just logs in the back of my little S-10. I haven't found an answer I trust as to what the actual bed weight capacity is but I've done this a few times so *shrug*  With the logs slightly forward of the rear axle the front wheels should also have taken some of the weight. It was an hours drive there and an hour back and on the way back I drove as slow as the speed limits would allow to minimize heat build up in the tires as much as I could (not sure how much it matters but I'll take every little bit I can get) and reduce impact stress from bumps. I REALLY need to build me a good log trailer... come on money tree start shedding your leaves!!!

We arrived home without trouble and unloaded the logs with the help of my sometimes nemesis gravity  ;)  There's some lovely airating divits on the lawn now ;D

I've printed out a couple designs for Adirondack chairs and plan to spend a few minutes assembling a cut list so I know what thicknesses and board feet I need in the hopes of maximizing what I can do. I'm hoping I'll have enough lumber for at least 2 chairs.

The fellow I got the tree from said it was a locust tree (locus is what he put in the listing so I'm assuming.) The current weather forcast calls for rain on Wednesday, my day off so I was a bit bummed until I remembered I have a pop up awning  8) 8)  So long as it's not a driving rain I can't see why I won't be able to mill. Cleaning up the man glitter may be a drag but you gots to do what you gots to do :D  I'm going to use some paint to seal these logs as I'm finding the parafin wax is a bit tempermental to work with and i'm not sure it's penetrating very well as it's peeling off on some of the other lumber I've already cut AND I have a fair bit of paint lying around. I can also write on the paint so may note MC, exact dimensions and a few other things on a couple of them just to see how the boards evolve over time (OG, you've infected me with your curiosity  :P )

That's all for now, hope everyone has a great weekend!

Brandon 

Thank You Sponsors!