iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures

Started by ManjiSann, October 31, 2019, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Nice score!  Hey, you could have strapped a log to the front bumper, too! :D  I used to have a little Nissan pickup and between it and a U-Haul trailer, I'd bring home 1½ ton of hay for our horses. 

I don't think you will have to worry about the locust checking.  Should be great material for your chairs.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

locust is very dense so make sure you have a sharp chain, and a ripping chain would make it go faster.  locust, esp. black locust is rot resistant.  nice work.  my dad used to abuse his 1970 GMC way beyond its stated capacity.  I do not think modern trucks still have the margin they used to.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

locust

honey locust

honey locust

HL, very strong, heavy, and pretty!  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Honey locust is really dense,  it's almost pink some times when first cut pretty colors inside. Doc is right you will need sharp chain, and bugs really like it once cut (powder post beetles). Still a nice score it will make some nice projects.

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 17, 2019, 11:23:56 AM
locust is very dense so make sure you have a sharp chain, and a ripping chain would make it go faster.  locust, esp. black locust is rot resistant.  nice work.  my dad used to abuse his 1970 GMC way beyond its stated capacity.  I do not think modern trucks still have the margin they used to.  
Sweet thing about the rot resistance on the locust! 
I wish I had the coin to buy a ripping chain but at the moment I'll have to live with the cross cut chains I have. I've read that you can slowly turn it into a ripping chain when you sharpen by changing the sharpening angle so I may try that. 
Wife is on board with me buying a trailer when we can scrape some funds together. Her statement was along the lines of "we need your truck to last so we better get you a little trailer as soon as we can" oky doky dear, I won't argue  8)  
I can't remember if I've already stated this so sorry if I'm repeating myself. I'm thinking I'll buy one of those trailers where someone turn a pickup bed into a trailer. If I get one from a 1 Ton I should be able to turn it into a nice little log/utility trailer. I figure it'd be narrow enough I can pull it into my backyard without too many problems. I know the capacity would be limited compared to the log trailers I've seen on the forum but since my little pickup is only rated to pull 4000 lbs anyhow, no sense in getting a 5 ton trailer. I'll pull the sheet metal bed off, weld up some good pipe sides, put a good floor on it and some things that I can put a removable 2x4 plywood sides on for when I need to haul away tree branches or leave but remove for parbuckling logs over the side. Also want to put a nice winch on and an attachment for a log arch on the back. Nice to have options on how I get logs in :)  No solid plans or specs yet, mostly just kicking ideas around in my head.
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 17, 2019, 11:19:17 AM
Nice score!  Hey, you could have strapped a log to the front bumper, too! :D  I used to have a little Nissan pickup and between it and a U-Haul trailer, I'd bring home 1½ ton of hay for our horses.  

I don't think you will have to worry about the locust checking.  Should be great material for your chairs.
HAHAHA I've got a deer strapped to the hood sort of arrangement flashing through my mind!  Seriously good thing you couldn't suggest this last night or I'd have seriously considered it! I REALLY hated leaving those 2 logs behind.
These little pickups are tougher than people think :) or they're not but no one told me or my pickup so we don't know it's supposed to break  ;)  Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes and just do what you can to reduce the risks. Not saying what I did or have done is smart, just saying I've done it.
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 17, 2019, 11:30:42 AM

locust

honey locust

honey locust

HL, very strong, heavy, and pretty!  
Hey Doc, what's the first picture of? Almost looks like boat trailer rollers or something? I'm guessing you posted it as the wood is locust and it supports a LOT of weight :)   I've seen a few of the things you've made out of the honey locust which is why I was pretty persistent about getting this wood home :) 
I think part of why this is such a draw for me is when I was a kid we had a woodworking shop in our garage and I always wanted to make fine furniture but didn't have the money for the fine wood. Now that I'm older I am honest enough to admit it would likely have just ended up as fine sawdust BUT the little kid inside me still wants the nice stuff :) This is how I go about trying to fulfill that desire AND I get the satisfaction of doing it myself.
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on November 17, 2019, 11:51:26 AM
Honey locust is really dense,  it's almost pink some times when first cut pretty colors inside. Doc is right you will need sharp chain, and bugs really like it once cut (powder post beetles). Still a nice score it will make some nice projects.
I guess  I really need to look into what pests are in my area. 
I'm looking forward to posting about whatever I build on the forum :)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

It's already starting crack (this is checking right?)

Painted all the ends that are standing up to hopefully try and stop the checking (I am using that correct?)

It's exterior grade latex paint we had from painting the kids play house so cost me nothing. Once this runs out I'll have to figure out if I want to do Anchorseal or what but for now this should last me a while :)

My little man glitter loving helper monkey :)

Brandon 

doc henderson

doc henderson

2 band blades and 5 chains need sharpened
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »

see we all have our challenges!

Southside

Does your Honey Locust out that way not come with the man killer spikes that will put an 8pt buck to shame?

I will have to get some photos of the ones I have, not exaggerating when I say they are a ft long with multiple points. They would score quite high in Pope and Young. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

donbj

You have a rich blessing within your wife Brandon. You have mentioned her support throughout your thread here. All the best to you both!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 17, 2019, 06:20:38 PM
2 band blades and 5 chains need sharpened
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »

see we all have our challenges!
Well I learned something new! Never heard of filling rot with cement before (and now I hope I never hear of it again  :( )  I admire your tenacity and desire to figure out what the blue blazes was in that log  :P
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: donbj on November 18, 2019, 01:50:14 AM
You have a rich blessing within your wife Brandon. You have mentioned her support throughout your thread here. All the best to you both!
Thanks donbj!! I really am very blessed and fortunate to have her in my life and my three step kids  :) :)  I can say in absolute honesty that because of them I have become a better person. I don't deserve any of them but I am grateful for them for sure!

Brandon

btulloh

As far as honey locust goes,  I have some around with horns and some without horns, so I guess it varies.  Some trees are just hornier than others.  
HM126

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on November 17, 2019, 08:12:46 PM
Does your Honey Locust out that way not come with the man killer spikes that will put an 8pt buck to shame?

I will have to get some photos of the ones I have, not exaggerating when I say they are a ft long with multiple points. They would score quite high in Pope and Young.
I've seen it with the thorns but this one I picked up doesn't have any.
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Was going to start sawing the logs but ran into some problems and have a couple questions.

How do you remove particularly stuck in nails? I was able to remove two of them but the third is almost all the way in and won't budge :( The nails are almost 3" long so I really hate to leave it in and cut around it if I can avoid doing so.

I'm planning to cut 1/2" over width and thickness dimensions needed to allow for any shrinking during drying and to be able to plane out any grooves and hopefully any slight warping or other such defects. I read a couple threads where this was over what they were saying but they were also using bandsaw mills which I assume give a nicer cut. 

Should I leave the boards as wide as they come off the log or is it ok to rip them down to roughly the correct width? I'm thinking the smaller they are the faster they will dry?

Also found out my mill is currently about 1/2 too narrow to use the ladder as a guide, so need to figure out how I'll sort that. 

Seemed to run into more bumps than progress today but it's all part of the learning process  :P  Did get a bunch of stickers cut so when I do get to milling I am set. The weather is supposed to start turning wet and cold in the next day or two so I'm feeling a bit of pressure to try and get as much milled as I can. 

Brandon 

Southside

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 18, 2019, 12:34:57 PMShould I leave the boards as wide as they come off the log or is it ok to rip them down to roughly the correct width? I'm thinking the smaller they are the faster they will dry?

Thickness is what will determine how long it takes your lumber to dry, the thicker it is the longer it takes as water evaporates from the outer surface first and then moves from the center of the lumber out to the face.  There are other factors such as species, temperature, humidity, wind velocity, number of chickens sacrificed, etc but just trying to answer the question you had posed.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

There is always a chicken in there somewhere. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on November 18, 2019, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: ManjiSann on November 18, 2019, 12:34:57 PMShould I leave the boards as wide as they come off the log or is it ok to rip them down to roughly the correct width? I'm thinking the smaller they are the faster they will dry?

Thickness is what will determine how long it takes your lumber to dry, the thicker it is the longer it takes as water evaporates from the outer surface first and then moves from the center of the lumber out to the face.  There are other factors such as species, temperature, humidity, wind velocity, number of chickens sacrificed, etc but just trying to answer the question you had posed.  
Is there a standard number of chickens per board foot I need to know about?  :o :o
I think 1/2" over the two dimensions will hopefully be enough. As I gain more experience and confidence perhaps I can shrink that down but for my first go around I think it's better to err on the side of caution and waste a bit of wood to saw dust than to try and cut it closer and end up with a lot of designer firewood  :(
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Tried to drill a hole in the center of the nose sprocket area... and must have work hardened the darn thing  >:(  Oh well, have all of work to figure out do I use the mill as is or do I try and gain an extra couple inches of cut length by using a small grinding bit to finish the hole in the nose sprocket.

I think I'll likely deal with the current length due to the weather getting ready to turn bad. Forcast calls for 4 snow days over the next 10 days or so. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get one log milled at least. I'll have to tip the other two over and paint the ends. I've read that if you store logs off the ground they don't rot as quickly so I'll probably put a few chunks of 4x4 under them and hope for the best.

I think milling season may be drawing to a close for me this year. Now I can save up for all the widgets and doo dads I want to try out when it warms up in 2020 :D and I guess it's time to get back to working on finishing the basement. 

If the weather turns good and any snow melts I can always go out and mill again :) The thing about Utah's weather, it's unpredictable, if you don't like it wait a few minutes and it usually changes :D

Brandon 

Southside

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 18, 2019, 03:34:04 PM
Quote from: Southside on November 18, 2019, 02:04:33 PM

Is there a standard number of chickens per board foot I need to know about?  :o :o
I think 1/2" over the two dimensions will hopefully be enough. As I gain more experience and confidence perhaps I can shrink that down but for my first go around I think it's better to err on the side of caution and waste a bit of wood to saw dust than to try and cut it closer and end up with a lot of designer firewood  :(
Brandon
For flat 1" lumber I generally saw 3/8" over target thickness, as far as width goes generally it's an inch over if 8" and under and something more than that for over 8". This allows for both shrink and movement while still getting my target size almost 100% of the time. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

beav

The weather here is sometimes completely the opposite: if you like it wait a few minutes and it will change

Nebraska

@ManjiSann 
How do you remove particularly stuck in nails? I was able to remove two of them but the third is almost all the way in and won't budge :( The nails are almost 3" long so I really hate to leave it in and cut around it if I can avoid doing so.

What I have done is usually I take my little gerber  pocket knife and whittle a little divit around the nail sort of like a counter sunk woodscrew head, then I grab vice grips and try and get a good enough bite to pull it out. If that fails depending on the heft of the nail I take a drill bit and drill on all four sides of it removing wood around the head till I get a good enough bite to pull it.  I have used a torx bit and a screw to loosen the wood around a nail as well.  Yes it will booger up the piece  but you can probably fix that well enough. Still wrestling with the quote thing.

Thank You Sponsors!