iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

This was earlier in the winter at the other landing on the same job.  It was about 6AM.  We had two trucks in.  One took 20 cords of hardwood pulp/firewood.  The other took a lead of sugar maple grade logs to a local grade mill.  They've got good lights on their loaders  8) :) 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RunningRoot

I would give anything to have some of the equipment you guys have....
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Autocar

Hang in there RunningRoot work hard and in time your get new toys also  ;D Everything I have ever bought has been used iron but to me it is new  ;).
Bill

Ken

Quote from: barbender on February 15, 2015, 04:49:32 PM
   Here's what we've been cutting lately, about as far from quality hardwoods as you can get-

No shortage of studwood.  That is one nice looking jobsite.  You know the volume is high when you can walk along the piles from one end of the job to the next.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

so il logger

ga jones

cut some white pine today. First in quite sometime. No market here.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lopet

Looks like that truck is starting to make $$$$.   Like your mud flaps.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

Not that it matters,but white pine has paid a few bills for me. Just a whole diffeant region.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

X2 on the mud flaps! Yeah white pine here is about the best thing to cut. It doesn't pay as much per thousand as some HW species but it cuts so much faster it more than makes up for it. cfarm where did you sell your pine Irving in dixfield?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Still cutting Pine. The snow has slowed this job up to a crawl. hopefully done soon if it dosen't snow for a bit.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thecfarm

Maine logger88,use to be Dixfield Lumber when I was cutting. Than Irving brought it. One thing was handy for a small time logger,they would buy anything. Yes,I could make more money selling my hard wood someplace else,but when I only had 3-4 trees per week,I would not have enough for a load.
My Father and me got in the Pallet Pine grade when it was good. We sold them some ULGY logs too. I can still hear my Father so,They won't pay us for that. Than when we got the check,I can still hear him say,They paid us for it,they paid us for it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Quote from: Ken on February 17, 2015, 07:56:56 PM
Quote from: barbender on February 15, 2015, 04:49:32 PM
   Here's what we've been cutting lately, about as far from quality hardwoods as you can get-

No shortage of studwood.  That is one nice looking jobsite.  You know the volume is high when you can walk along the piles from one end of the job to the next.

Ken, the picture is deceiving- the volume of this black spruce is fairly low because it is so spindly.  A lot of it is 6-7 sticks (100"), but it's only about 5.5"DBH, and a fair amount of it is too skinny to be merchantable. The processor was running long days to get 30-40 cords.
  I ran into a guy I used to haul for in at the gas station, he was mentioning he saw a load come into town. He said "That stuff looked like a load of broomsticks". I asked him the name on the truck- yeah, it was our wood :D Needless to say, I'm not sorting any stud bolts out on this job, the average DBH is smaller than the minimum size Potlatch takes.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

I'll say again, I'm jealous of the hardwood you guys are posting pics of- and the white pine.

Ken

[quote author=barbender
Ken, the picture is deceiving- the volume of this black spruce is fairly low because it is so spindly.  A lot of it is 6-7 sticks (100"), but it's only about 5.5"DBH, and a fair amount of it is too skinny to be merchantable. The processor was running long days to get 30-40 cords.
  [/quote]

The vast majority of that would be sold to a stud mill here.  The mill we are cutting for now has a 4" top size and will take it to 3.75 inches if it is gunbarrel straight.  When cutting on private land we will merchandize studs to 4-4.5 inches depending on the destination.  Here is a picture from a load earlier today.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Ken on February 19, 2015, 05:44:29 PM

The vast majority of that would be sold to a stud mill here.  The mill we are cutting for now has a 4" top size and will take it to 3.75 inches if it is gunbarrel straight.  When cutting on private land we will merchandize studs to 4-4.5 inches depending on the destination. 

... and heres me complaining about unviably small logs at a 10" top for our own mill, and hard pressed to sell logs into any other mill if it wasn't gunbarrel straight and at least 12" and not too many that small in a load either. What kind of gear do they use to mill 4" top sized logs productively?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ken

Quote from: longtime lurker on February 19, 2015, 06:11:55 PM
What kind of gear do they use to mill 4" top sized logs productively?

I think they have a HewSaw and run about 125mmbf/daily.  Lots of small logs going by very fast.

David-L

barbender

Ken, we have to have a 5.5" top for our bolts. I haven't got a chance to do a Potlatch mill tour, though I would love too. So, I don't know what set up they have.

David, I really feel for you guys with all that snow. The east can't seem to catch a break :(

so il logger

That is a fine looking little jack DavidL would you consider parting with her? 

David-L

The snow is pretty deep for around here, slows things up a bit. Really have to plan your gettaway route. This Pine is in a kettle hole and 4ft in some places off the skidder trail.
  The 225 is running great , straight machine, new tires in the front and chains. One of the only ones I have owned with straight limb risers. Pedals tell it all. -4.7 here.

chep

White pine off our last job. Grafton county, nh. Connecticut river valley wood. 4 16 ft logs, more than a couple of these trees on this lot...
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2070&pid=176128#top_display_media

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

brendonv

I too love that machine david. Something to be said about a well kept clean old machine.

I havent cut in months. I cut and skid firewood for a guy. Im more of the clean and neat type, hes more of the makes the woods look like pickup sticks.

He decided before the snow fell, to go cut sll the big trees on top of each other. Ive left these for the end, theres a method to my choices. So we then get crotch deep snow. Turns out 18-20"+ trees are now buried under snow, you cant skid and climb over them you just slide along side of them now. I parked the skidder and told him have fun.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

chep

Thanks Mikeb for making that picture appear! Sorry for the blurry picture

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Thank You Sponsors!