iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crappie

Started by Magicman, April 12, 2014, 10:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This year's high water must have things just right because the Crappie are really plentiful and biting.  Most folks here use jigs and crappie poles that resemble fly rods.  Of course, some folks also use minnows but that is expensive and troublesome.  The lead head jigs are very reliable.

Skillet broiled Crappie filets (in Wishbone Italian dressing) and pan roasted new potatoes.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Magic, that is a good looking plate of groceries.  I think I would need a bigger plate or stack it quite a bit higher.  Unfortunately, I did not fish for specks this past fall/winter.  Here is a picture of my youngest daughter with a couple of speckled perch (crappie).  We catch them on cane poles dragging jigs early in the fall.  Later, we will cast jigs over holes. When they start bedding, I love to catch them in less than 18" of water around wood with a jig set about a foot under a cork on a cane pole.   

The fish in her left hand is a male, the other is not.
Caveman
Caveman

drobertson

Them fish and taters by all rights, should not be allowed to be posted ;D   Man, that looks really good! Really good!  Not sure what to do now, I am in a quandary,  can't think right, believe I have a fever, ;D
Caveman, if you do with them slabs what you do with chicken on the grill, well, Lord have mercy on all of us!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Magic that's a good looking meal, I love crappie, neighbors went fishing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and were catching them as fast as they could cast out.  Talk about jealousy  :D!

caveman

Drobertson, I haven't tried grilling/smoking specks, although smoked mullet is one of my favorites.  Most of the time I cook fish I fry it in peanut oil battered in corn meal (finely ground Grits).  Occasionally I will blacken specks like one would do snapper in a cast iron skillet.  I am ready to start catching some fish but work keeps interfering. 
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

This thread is taxing on the appetite.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on April 14, 2014, 10:27:04 PM
This thread is taxing on the appetite.
Exactly 8)  Caveman, I did not mean grilling the specks, but I bet it would be good!
corn meal is the automatic go to for sure, at times I will do a lite score, mix some ranch with the meal and pack it in.  Makes good crunchies ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

You guys are killing me, I'm grilling a pork chop  :'(.  I gotta go fishing!

coxy

Quote from: caveman on April 13, 2014, 07:20:06 AM
Magic, that is a good looking plate of groceries.  I think I would need a bigger plate or stack it quite a bit higher.  Unfortunately, I did not fish for specks this past fall/winter.  Here is a picture of my youngest daughter with a couple of speckled perch (crappie).  We catch them on cane poles dragging jigs early in the fall.  Later, we will cast jigs over holes. When they start bedding, I love to catch them in less than 18" of water around wood with a jig set about a foot under a cork on a cane pole.   

The fish in her left hand is a male, the other is not.
Caveman
the crappie around here don't get that big  the perch get to about 15-16in long most crappie are 10-11in and look like a string bean  ;D ;D

Magicman

Our river systems are ideal for Crappie.  High (flood) waters sorta flushes things out each year and the cycle continues.  Shad is the key word.  Keeping their bellies full makes large fish.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

17"is the biggest that I've caught. 14" with some width (shoulders) is what I call a slab.  They are so fun to trick under a cork with a jig in shallow water.
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!