iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A week off from Milling

Started by Sixacresand, November 16, 2013, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Spent most of the week in florida visiting with the grand boys. I was chomping at the bit this morning to run the sawmill, even though I was feeling puny.  Right out of the gate I hit a 1/4" steel rod/nail embedded in a pine log.  Spent the next hour getting the blade out the cut and changing blade.  I debated what to do with the log.  I could not pull the metal out.  I finally was able to mill 3 quarters of the log and discard the quarter with the metal.  I know I took a chance of hitting the other end of the nail.  Looks like I better be buying a metal detector.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mikeb1079

yeah i've debated buying a metal detector too...just have to pull the trigger i guess.  at least you salvaged most of the log.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You will soon learn, with a metal detector, you will still find more nails with a blade than the detector.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Since a have a portable sawing business, there is no way that I could take the time to scan every log that I saw.  I inform the customer that the charge is $25 per damaged blade.

I haven't hit any metal since Monday.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 16, 2013, 09:00:13 PM
You will soon learn, with a metal detector, you will still find more nails with a blade than the detector.  ;D

you have to turn it on first  :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!