iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Is It?

Started by Phorester, January 25, 2013, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Came off one of my relative's farm in Tennessee.  Anybody know what it is?  Looks to be manufactured, not homemade.  No label, manufacturing stamp, or anything like that on it.  If it's homemade, somebody did an excellent job on those tines. One foot rule in some of the pictures for scale.

Side view

Front

Back

Closeup of tines.

beenthere

I would guess that it is used to collect seed.... maybe like wheat or oats or barley.

But just a thought....  being as the tines look like they would act like a comb.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

Looks like a regulation buffalo chip sizing scoop, you find a buffalo chip that fits on the scoop without hanging over more than an inch. If it fits you then inspect the chip for its aerodynamic properties prior to entering the buffalo chip smiley_airfreshener hurdling contest.
roll with it

Shotgun

It looks a little like a cranberry picker scoop.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Roger2561

Comb for King Kong?  Roger
Roger

Delawhere Jack

Shotgun beat me to it, but I think maybe for harvesting blueberries.

Or possibly for grooming back hair..... ;D

beenthere

There ya go Norm... Bingo!!

But in a TN barn?? maybe,.... ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Quote from: beenthere on January 25, 2013, 04:45:05 PM
There ya go Norm... Bingo!!

But in a TN barn?? maybe,.... ::)

Yeah, I thought about that, but stuff moves around the country.  Ever watch the Pickers on TV?   :D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

DigDug

Looks like it could do blueberries?

SwampDonkey

I'd say it was a home made harvester for collecting oats. Not a very efficient shortcut method. I don't think the wooden teeth would hold up to blueberry harvesting, it would snag and after awhile bust the teeth out. I see modern hand held harvesters used to collect wildflower seeds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

How about a grain elevator bucket?

beenthere

QuoteHow about a grain elevator bucket?

How so?
south central Wisconsin

Phorester

BEENTHERE; it doesn't appear to be a strong enough implement for some of the uses suggested. The tines are close together, coarse finish, and thin.  Looks like they'd snag on vines, wool (a local friend suggested used for combing wool), grain stalks, etc. The thin piece of wood in the bottom between the front piece and the back would keep seeds from catching in this angle and pore out easier.  It is awkward to use by hand, even though the handle seems to be shaped for a human hand to use.  (Looking at the cranberry scoop posted by SHOTGUN, that would be easy to use. )

Also, the shape suggests some old elevator buckets, although it seems that most of those were metal.

Just guessing.

Phorester

I noticed small nail holes on one side, so I examined that side with a magnifying glass.  Found a little piece of a label about 1/4" diameter stuck to it that had a few letters on it. So it looks as if this thing was manufactured and not homemade.  I examined the rest of it with the magnifying glass and found nothing else anywhere.

sprucebunny

Maybe for threshing ? Just a wild guess.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ely

DanG

It seems strange for a manufactured item to be made from rough sawn lumber.  You can see the circle saw marks on it.  Maybe it was refurbished?  Don't have a clue what it is though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JuniperBoss

It is obvious that it's a rocking chair for a sasquatch.

Seriously it's probably a crop harvester or something used for harvesting.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Offthebeatenpath

I don't think the tine spacing is wide enough for cranberries, unless they were awfully dang small.  Here's a shot of another short handled wooden cranberry rake with a ruler for perspective.  I'm gonna check with my dad who is an antique dealer and see if he has any ideas...

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Phorester

Quote from: DanG on January 28, 2013, 01:41:14 PM
It seems strange for a manufactured item to be made from rough sawn lumber.  You can see the circle saw marks on it.  Maybe it was refurbished?  Don't have a clue what it is though.

I agree on the possible origins. None of the parts appear to have been smoothed in any way. But all the pieces are very well cut in size and shape and fit together perfectly.  Look at the sides.  They are perfectly tapered along the width of each side piece (the grain is oriented vertical) from the back to the front of the implement.   You can't see it in the pictures, but each of the sides is hollowed out along a perfect arc where they join the bottom and both are exactly the same arc and dimensions.  Each of the teeth tips are uniformly shaped. The tiny piece of label I found was glued on, and the letters look like professional printing used on a label.  In other words, not typed on paper that was stuck on by a user. 

Don_Papenburg

The label could be from the shipping crate that the mistery guest was made from.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ron Wenrich

What type of wood?  I think the teeth are too close together and too small to have to do with any type of berry picking.   The small tines also makes me think it has something to do with separating something out. 

The flat back design gets me to thinking it was meant to be hung up on a wall and the handle is mainly for carrying.  It looks to cumbersome to be used as a hand tool.  Its some sort of farm piece of equipment, or else the woodwork would have been better.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Phorester

Thank You Sponsors!