iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Logging and working in the woods

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Went to work for my Dad when I was 15 settin' chokers, worked my way up a bit since then. :)
Cause every good story needs a villan!

ontariologger

i started when i was 14 cutting firewood, now i have been logging for 3 years and just love it

LE-1

Howdy , been loggin' for 30 plus years , body feels like its been a 100.. :D

Banjo picker

I was about 16 when I got my first ride.  A 1953 international pickup.  not long after that dad got hurt.  (cut his foot open with an ax)  I had to cut firewood for us to stay warm.  I promptly cut a semi- small oak on the International.  It didn't ruin it but sure hurt its looks.  I'm glad to say that's been the last bad experince in the woods.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ErikC

We worked in our woods since I was born it seems like. Mom used to bring me out in the backpack thing and check on dad. I got officially named firewood stacker at about 10. When I was 14 choker setting for a logging job on their place with a grouchy old cat operator, and on we go.
Quote from: Banjo picker on January 16, 2009, 07:52:06 PM
I was about 16 when I got my first ride.  A 1953 international pickup. 
Me Too! Mine was a 4wheel drive flatbed. Actually I think it was mostly a 58. Hauled a lot of wood, mine was ugly when I got it. It was tough though. Of course I am 20 years younger than you so it had more time to wear and tear first.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Banjo picker

Quote from: ErikC on January 19, 2009, 11:23:21 AM
  We worked in our woods since I was born it seems like. Mom used to bring me out in the backpack thing and check on dad. I got officially named firewood stacker at about 10. When I was 14 choker setting for a logging job on their place with a grouchy old cat operator, and on we go.
Quote from: Banjo picker on January 16, 2009, 07:52:06 PM
I was about 16 when I got my first ride.  A 1953 international pickup. 
Me Too! Mine was a 4wheel drive flatbed. Actually I think it was mostly a 58. Hauled a lot of wood, mine was ugly when I got it. It was tough though. Of course I am 20 years younger than you so it had more time to wear and tear first.

I gave mine to a guy about two years ago.  He is supposed to restore it.  I finally realizied I was just not going to ever get around to it.  I hope he didn't crush it when scrap got so high.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mad murdock

started peeling popple at 8 yrs of age.  Worked with a logger who skidded with a horse at 13, peeled and cut and bunched by hand, decked by hand that summer.  First started running a saw at 13.  My older brother and I6 and 14 respectively got our own contract for 300 cords peeled popple, and cut and bunched 296 cords that summer.  I guess that would put me at more like 37 years since I first started working in the woods.  I only put 20 on the poll.  Needed to think about it more I guess.  Own a 40 acre tree farm currently in the North Oregon Coast Range.  Work for a company who directly supports the timber industry via aerial application by helicopter.  There is no place on earth like the woods!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

capt n cutz

So...You want to be a Logger? eh!

mad murdock

I found a pic of a nice tree that we harvested in '06.  There were a few this size, it took the Garrett model 15 pulling in front and a JD 350B pushing from behind to get the first 2 41" logs out, each long scaled in over 800 bd/ft each!
Had I to do it over again I would have cut them shorter, would've gotten a little better scale asw the logs averaged 32" inside the bark.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Warbird

Big Stick

Cut my first Old Growth Doug Fir when I was 16 and that's been some time ago.

The Woods have been very good to me..................

John Woodworth

31 years running skidders, cats, faller bunchers, loaders. Self employed 28 of those years logging, sawmilling, tree topping and heavy equipment mechanics. Ran my dad's old Corley carriage mill when I was 14 yrs. old, Mobile Deminsion today.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Scuba_Dave

I cut & split wood as a teenager
But for the mots part the past 12 years with owning 2 houses
The last house I heated with wood most of the time
A very nice Soapstone stove, which I took with me to my new house

One of the last big trees on my property is dead - a big Oak  :(
I'll get quite a bit of wood out of it
But now the only bigger trees are on the side along the stream
And none are as big as the Oak
I used it in my Christmas display to make an LED tree & hang Snoopy in his plane

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Images must be in your Forestry forum Gallery. No off site images allowed. You can upload your photo, and edit this message out with the onsite photo.

4genlgr

Hi New member. put down 35 grandfather was in the business and usually if you went for ride with him as a kid he was checking on a crew. and being kids full of p&v and having a grandfather tha t belived in hard work was good for you my cousins and i soon had pulp hooks in our hands and the 4foot wood was gooing on the old truck frame trailer behind a crawler tractor. This was usually summer time and grandpa knew that "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". He would find a swimming hole on the way home and join in the fun. Went to work for him in 76  and except for three years in the 90's i been cutting trees, driving cat, skidder, tractor or truck. if you've never pick up 4ft fir, loaded it on a trailer, unloaded it by hand onto a truck, and unloaded at the mill get down on your knees and thank God for hydulics!

madhatte

Put down 15.  Worked for Weyco, Champion Int'l, Simpson, BLM, USFS, and now work for Ft Lewis.  Working in the woods is where it's at. 

nhlogga

started out cutting firewood for my grand father at 18. went to college at "grandpa's school of firewood" got a degree in saw dust. I'm a third generation logger. never worked with my dad till last year till he came to work for me on weekends. learned alot from him. especially how to do things the hardway.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

islandlogger

Reckon I started in them thar woods at the tender age of 8, just help my dad out geting in the wood for the winters and general other chores, think I was 10 or maybe eleven when he first let me get my hands on a saw, a Mac Eager Beaver it was lol some funky little thing a neighbor had cursed him with, then it was a ancient old Pioneer, could hear that thing snarling for miles!! There was a gyppo logger cutting Alder on the property bordering ours, I used to love hearing them saws singing and trees crashing and the cat growling along the skid roads, when they would quit for the day I would wander over and check out the days progress and they always parked the Cat where I could sit in it and "pretend", that poor logger went bust, Alder market fell out before he could get his wood to the mill and they faded off to greener pastures. My daddy had bought me a Tin Hat that at the time was ten times to big for my head, I wear that skull bucket to this day, been with me a long time and saved me many a head ache. I finely got into logging at 18, had my new cool breeze Stihl 44 and built my own small business up starting with just me and that saw, alot of hard work over many a year. I have done a bit of construction during slow times, but it's in the woods where I belong, when it's just me and my gear, sittin on a fresh cut stump at lunch time, thats home and I wouldn't have it any other way. The timber industry is tough, it can be done though, it's the big companies that have it tough I think, I manage to make a good living with just me or a very small crew, my Peterson Mill has been a good addition for the past five years. If it's in your blood and you'r willing to go the extra mile, then there is NO place better then being on the business end of a saw out in the middle of the woods knocking a tree dead nuts down the line watching her come to rest just a waitin for ye to knock them limbs off and process her down to size ready for skiddn to the truck and then off to the mill so you can slab off that outer layer and show the world the beuty of fresh cut wood. Git busy livin or get busy dyin!!

rickywashere

started when i was 11 working part time splitting mining timbers for my grand father  moved up to running a saw when i could start it at age 12 1/2 pappaw's rules if ya cant start it you can run it ...   did that till i was 19 went into logging mostly timber cutter ran skidder little  and log loader /// but yard work was never my cup of tea ... after that made crib blocks , wedges on a hand mill yes i still have all my fingers  thank god after that went back into logging plus a few tree felling jobs for private peeps  up till last year // been working on the house since then

whitepine

Started as a teenager with a homlite xl12 peeling pulp the first job I ever had in the 60's worked on a slasher and some time on skidder for few years than got into buying and selling timber in NE Minnesota made some good money on that. After some health problems I got into selling specialty woods like burls and birch bark for a few years than firewood have heated with wood for 25 years. Tried planting trees what a disaster talked my neighbors into it and than a drought lost it all. Still have a pile of land ( I ranched a cow calf operator) cut firewood if able  and now thinking of building a firewood processor (like the chomper idea but have doubts. Bad back so bending over is a no no think there is a market up here to cut up 10 cd truck loads of 8ft firewood into 16". Think firewood may be worth more than ever the way the economy goes. Built a nova jack type trialer to puts with like the logging with atv idea. Saved a bunch of  old growth ash and now I look at it and am sad wonder what will replace it up here love this site thanks guys.

Wild willy

Been in the logging industry all my life, my uncle hired my dad when he was around 12 years old and he started out with mules. I have been in the lumber/logging since I was 16 running skidders, then when I turned 18 got married and went to work in a sawmill/logging for 3 years then went to work in a diffrent mill for 4 years and then my father retired from a Veneer company and him and I have been in logging together ever since. He just stopped working with me this year the wat the market is he had to get more reliable work we had a great run together
Timberjack 225c/john deere 640/Clark 665 husky372xp/385xp/288xp
Bill Hibbs

beenthere

Wild willy
Welcome to the forum.
That is an interesting history.

Now you are making it ok in the logging business without Dad?

How is it and how do you locate your logs? 

Glad to have you and your experience on board.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

Approximately 30 years for me.  Started on summer vacations junking tree length wood into logs and pulp on my dads logging sites.  I had to look after 3-4 skidder crews and I remember the first summer was very wet which meant that the wood was always muddy.  Learned how to file that summer.  Since then I have obtained a forestry degree from UNB and have been offering a range of woodlot management services to private woodlot owners for  nearly 20 years.  Over the past 3 years I have been acting as project manager for Nashwaak Valley Wood Energy a newly opened wood pellet plant that is owned primarily by woodlot owners and contractors from our area. 

Love the forum.  Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

geohayes7

I don't know how many cords I've pulled in a plastic dredge pontoon. Logs cut to 6' length then cut it into firewood at our 2 room cabin in the Chugiach mountains, on the Kenai peninsula but I know no running water or eletricity would kill my wife and kids HAHAHA LOL
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must, like men,undergo the fatigues of supporting it"....Thomas Paine

timberjack240

my pap who has recently passed away started cutting pulp wood with a bowsaw till he got enough saved to buy a homelite lcs26 he countinued to cut pulp w his buddies and eventually bought a 600d direct drive . eventually he bout the only skidder inteh area and started loggin we figured up his years he had 48 years in the prodution loggin indusrty.. approx 32 of which was for the same sawmill doin sub contract work.. ppl my age dont always sho respect liek they should and im giulty sometimes myself.. but its men liek that that my hat is off to. not many can do what he did w a couple old skidders and supply 75% of the wood to the second biggest sawmill in our state. by no means am i braggin but i know theres a few fellas on here thtat would appreciate this

Thank You Sponsors!