iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three Bucks

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2010, 04:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We had a good week.  First, our 20 year old Granddaughter got a buck.  This year's law change allowed her buck.  In previous years, we had a 4 point rule.  Now it is a 10" spread or 13" main beams.  No antler points.  I had seen her buck a couple of times and hoped that one of the young hunters would get him.  He was legal with 14½" spikes.

Next it was a 16 year old Grandson with this old 6 point.

Now it was my turn with this 16¼" inside spread 8 point.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Nice bucks.  Glad to see you passing on the hunting tradition.  You need to get those kids to take a friend and kill a doe.  MS license sales (and national) are on a downward trend, and we can't have too many kids learn to hunt (or fish).  You have a lot to be proud about.  Thanks for sharing.

Also, nice stainless rifle, what make, model and cal?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 31, 2010, 05:06:38 PM
Also, nice stainless rifle, what make, model and cal? 

Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .280, with 3.5X10 Leupold.  Did you notice the tape on the end of the barrel?

Except for management bucks (culls) I only allow one buck per year on my property.  I lease another 500 acres that is managed a bit differently.  The last year that I took the legal limit of 3 bucks on my property was the '95-'96 season.

My last 3 buck limit taken in the '95-'96 season.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Reddog

Wow looks like it was a good time!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

All nice bucks.Deer season all done in Maine.Over for 2-3 weeks now,I think. Don't pay much attention to it.Just have to put Boo-Boo on a rope for the month of Nov.Not many bow hunters or black powder around here.You sure do shoot some nice bucks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bama20a

Nice deer's Magicman.Also good to see the Grandkid's enjoying with you.
My son did live over there north of you.
He lived just north of you on Ross Barnet,Lake Harbor if you know where that is.
I got to hunt with him several  time's. Real nice place over there.
I've still got several hives of Bee's over there they are on the state res-joining the lake. The state had me sit them up for poll-
some diff- types of plates for them.I haven't got to go check on them in a while,I need to go over there in Feb- & get them ready for the spring honey flow.
But again I'll say that is some Deer's thanks for sharing the pic's.Mark,,,,

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

Yup bama, we have camped at Lake Harbor several times.  Even made a couple of fishing trips from there.  Small world.

jim king

OK Magicman, I bet you are jealous of this monster.  I dont have a clue as to what species it is but this is a typical local deer.  The photo was taken in a dog kennel.

I would guess the average weight from what is in the market is under 20 pounds.  The bucks have spikes about 3 to 4 inches long.

fishpharmer

That may be a brocket deer. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jim king

Now how did you know that ¿  I have been here half a life time and have never heard the word.  I just did a search and there is was.

http://www.deer-pictures.com/brocket_deer.html

northwoods1

Quote from: jim king on January 02, 2011, 10:11:11 AM
Now how did you know that ¿  I have been here half a life time and have never heard the word.  I just did a search and there is was.

http://www.deer-pictures.com/brocket_deer.html

:D hey thats Bambi!

magicman you truly have  a lot to be proud of. Your grandson is the spitting image of you. Looks like he takes after you when it comes to hunting too :) must have had a good teacher...

Magicman

Thankfully that Granddaughter doesn't look like me, even though she is my namesake.

We have 10 Grandchildren; 6 boys and 4 girls.  All except the 8 year old have taken deer, but he is still my hunting partner.  He'll get his rifle next year.  It is a Browning A Bolt 7mm08.

Luke hunting with me and looking at some deer.

CX3

MM I was wondering....are those three bucks you killed as a limit below average, average, or pretty good size for your area?

They look to me like they are in the same ballpark as far as score would go, and I was just wondering as to the size of deer in MS
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Ron Scott

Nice! Great deer management and starting and mentoring young hunters. You seem to be a fan of Browning A Bolts?
~Ron

Magicman

Quote from: CX3 on January 03, 2011, 07:16:17 PMare those three bucks you killed as a limit below average, average, or pretty good size for your area?

They are not the average that we have, just the average that we try to shoot.  We let many bucks walk before shooting one.  Last Wednesday evening, the Magicwoman and I saw 9 bucks from her stand in about a 2 hour period. (No food plot)   One 8 pointer was much larger and heavier than the one I shot Wednesday morning.  He stood broadside at about 75 yards for at least 15 seconds.  She had an easy shot, but chose not to. (She shoots a Ruger 77 re-barreled to 7mm08)

I had a state wildlife biologist look at the jawbones from our last 8 or 10 deer.  None were less than 3½ years old.  One was 5½, one was 6½ and another was 7½.  He was surprised that we had not shot a 2½ year old buck.

Bottom line;  If you shoot the little ones, you won't have any big ones.

Magicman

Quote from: Ron Scott on January 03, 2011, 07:38:49 PM
You seem to be a fan of Browning A Bolts? 

Yes, I am an A Bolt fan, and am also a 7mm08 fan.

Banjo picker

Good to see you enjoying the outdoors with your grandchildren..I was glad to see the rule change that allowed the taking of spike bucks.  I don't think it went far enough.  Back when I read a lot of F&S and such the consinsus was that if a deer came out with less than four points his first year, he had inferior genes and should be culled...So legaly we cant kill the inferior deer...I have picked up several road kills with small deformed spikes this year...When we are letting the spikes walk and killing the young 4 points we are shooting ourselves in the foot as far as genetics were concerned.  Has more recent research been done that might change the way I might think?  Could it be that the wildlife officials should have the say about such things instead of the legislature...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

Jim King, we call that a fryer. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ErikC

Quote from: Magicman on January 03, 2011, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: Ron Scott on January 03, 2011, 07:38:49 PM
You seem to be a fan of Browning A Bolts? 

Yes, I am an A Bolt fan, and am also a 7mm08 fan.

I have one too, and have to agree that's a great combo
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!