iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i was told it's a pipe dream

Started by red oaks lumber, April 16, 2015, 06:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Cedarman, when Kirk gets back from Gatlinburg tonight, I will PM you with the businesses contact info.
They are looking for Cedar pretty bad.
Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

I thought this was about Smoking.  .never mind
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cedarman

Red, when RO, Poston, I and others are in the entreprenuerial mode, we are "smokin".  All those brain wheels get turning , the friction causes :D :D smoke to come out our ears.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LeeB

I thought smoke came out of the goats ears because he had a few cogs missing in there.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kwendt

Love the stories, guys! When my grand dad bought 300 acres of swamp... they said it couldn't be done. 40 years later... he had a beautiful family camp/compound, his own gravel pit, orchard, stable, coral, lake front hand built showcase log cabin, other cabins for guests, 3.5 mile of road, a sand cove, drinking water off the mountain so pure it was certified...and a saw mill for big timber/whole logs. And those 'snickerers' called it "Lumbago" Lodge. Anything can be done, with wit and know how...

I've got the wit part anyways... lol!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Magicman

Da last picture I saw, da Goat had no ears, and there was a rumor that his head was full of sawdust anyway.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 16, 2015, 09:02:10 PM

Those 10 benches sold in 3 days. We got busy, after hours and built 20 more. I posted a pic of my benches on Face Book and low and behold, Camp Cherokee with the YMCA saw them.
They bought all 20 benches the first round and we finished 7 more for them. Now they want more for other camp grounds and will be patient while we build them.

Any photos of those benches?

Dave Shepard

To the original post: I'd give that guy a rope and tell him to break one of those bison to lead. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

buzywoodliff

Thanks for sharing, and well played!!  No regrets

coxy

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 17, 2015, 07:09:32 AM
i'm working on "vodka" infused pork.. marketing  is key :) there is a new local distillery that is making vodka and i'm getting their distillers grain, which basically is fremented wheat ,the achochol has been drained off but,the pigs love it :D
ROL we did that with some of our own beef the meat was great but the fat witch I love was not so good it put a real strong flavor almost like a rotten/sour flavor  good luck hope it works out

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Magic. Took the family out tonight. I'm back now.

Here are some pics of the benches.

Cedar half log benches where I used a dull blade for saw marks.

Smooth Cedar half log benches.

Here are the half log Pine benches with Cedar legs.

Slab Pine Benches. We also sell Pine log tables. 16 inches tall.

We sell Flower Boxes.

The log Flower boxes are made in 12 foot sections and then sawn into 3 - 4 foot boxes after completion. They are built on the mill.

The benches are built in 12 foot sections a lot of times. Then the legs are installed by glueing and driving them into the holes. I then sink a deck screw into each leg for extra security. Then the 12 foot bench is placed UPSIDE DOWN on the mill to saw the legs off level. The the 12 foot bench is chain sawed into 3 - 4 foot benches.

I have found that leaving the bark on sells faster than the debarked benches.  :)

The YMCA Camp folks showed up today. Loaded and payed for every bench I had for their camp ground.
We will start in the morning finishing off 2 milling jobs and then get back to building more benches for Mother's Day/

Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

kensfarm

Wow.. nice benches.  No wonder you're making so much money.. you're using child labor.  Where are the kids..  baaahhhhh.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kensfarm on April 17, 2015, 10:47:29 PM
Wow.. nice benches.  No wonder you're making so much money.. you're using child labor.  Where are the kids..  baaahhhhh.

This is how this child makes his money and I'm very blessed he don't mind breaking a sweat.
He gets payed good and that may have something to do with it. :D
40% of every dollar he makes goes into his bank account. He can do what he wants with the rest.  :)

kensfarm

That's a nice life lesson that's hard to learn..  saving money.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kensfarm on April 17, 2015, 11:14:03 PM
That's a nice life lesson that's hard to learn..  saving money.   

smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

And you will be "Bestest Buddy's" after he is grown.....I know.  :)

kwendt

Wait a minute! Mom always had me pounding stuff for her.... And I never got paid! She always told me it was my job cause I was 'closer to the ground' than she was....

Obviously.... This warped me for life! I'm STILL pounding stuff!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

sandhills

And I bet you're a better person for it?  ;)
ROL, it's nice to hear stories like that.

beenthere

Raised four kids (2 girls, 2 boys) and didn't give any allowance nor pay them for work done. Chores were assigned and IIRC there was little complaining. If they wanted something or needed something, money was tight but usually they didn't have to "go without".

All four are grown up, are ambitious, are great parents, and have good jobs that they work hard at. I don't attribute that to anything we did or did not do when they were at home. But am real proud of them.

Then again, my children didn't have the distractions that our youngsters have these days... such as cell phones, computers, horrible examples for TV programs, etc.
Along with the fact that the teachers preach to the kids that anything even mildly abusive by words or deeds at home should not be tolerated and should be reported. The wheels can easily be set in motion for the state do-gooders to take control of their life in place of the parents.     'nuff rant.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

had a couple meetings this week discussing marketing  exspansion. the one outfit i do alot for has an opportunity to supply a high end food service  company with grassfed bison and grassfed beef. where i come in is more on the beef side,i was asked if i was interested in increasing  my beef herd,which i was already planning on doing that anyway. good news the price offered now and for the for see able future is almost 15% more than  my current pricing structure. :)
my long term vision of having our own market is still alive in my head :D the name would be west wind market   slogan.. from our farm to your table  the products would all come from our farm, beef, bision , pork,chicken, eggs. oh ya i never mentioned my neice and i also have a aquaponics farm  :) so we could supply the market with fresh greens all year, currenlty we just supply a couple resturants and a grocery store.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

kwendt

red oaks, I. AM. IN. AWE. nuff said....

Thank You Sponsors!