iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry and my Chainsaw Mill

Started by TJB, December 06, 2009, 06:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJB

Howdy Group
I had a guy call me this morning and tell me the power company cut a row of cherry trees on his property under one of their lines and I was welcome to them for my mill. I hope to have some pics up next week showing us milling them. I have only cut cedar so far and have been wanting to try some hardwood on the mill. Here's a few pics showing the cherry and the mill. There's one pic showing a cut on a cedar, I always hear about how rough cut a board is when milled with a CSM so I wanted to post this pic. This is cut with a Woodland Pro 10 degree ripping chain straight out of the box

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

sdunston

Great job on building the mill, I went to your site(good pictures).
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Jim Spencer

Yes,  You will hear people who own band mills say how rough chainsaw mills are but I would put the finish I get on my Logosol up against any band mill that I have seen.
My chainsaw mill is strictly for a hobby and if someone wanted to make money with a chainsaw mill I would feel awfully sorry for them.
Chainsaw mills are slow and a lot of work but they have their place in the pecking order.
I can get a finish that looks like it was run through a planer if I am careful sharpening my chains.
Jim

TJB

Thanks Sam!

Jim the guy that gave me the cherry has a Logosol, it was the first chainsaw mill I ever saw someone operate.  He likes cutting cedar and isn't interested in hardwood so he called me.  If I still lived in the country where I could have a stationary mill I would have bought a Logosol myself.

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

customdave

Yes very good job on your mill! Interesting web page & pics, keep up the good work & play safe!.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

TJB

Thanks Dave!  Hey Jim the guy that has the logosol built a cordwood garage, here's a pic of it.

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Coon

Just wondering what # of chain and sprockets you used.  Looks to be a nice mill.

Coon.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

TJB

Coon
I used #40 roller chain and 36 tooth sprockets on the 1 inch all thread. I put a 20 tooth above one of them and connected it to a 50 tooth on the handle which worked out to 4 turns of the handle to 1 inch of height adjustment. I bought the hardware for the big bearing store, looking back I could have used bicycle chain and sprockets for less money.
TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Coon

Thanks,  I kinda thought that was about the size but wasn't sure.  I am building a chainsaw mill with a bit of a different design as it will be more of a stationary set up on timbers.  The head set up will be much like yours except I will be using a shorter bar for the most part.  I will be able to use up to a 28" bar.

Have you got an auxillary oiler set up?  If so, do you have any pics of it? 

Coon.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

TJB

I dont have one yet. Trying to figure out if I need that or a water drip cooling system. I am planning on milling some cherry this afternoon and try water to cool the bar.  I'll let you know if it works.  You can search for procut sawmills and when you go to the website look at the picture page. Theres another link saying something like see more photos.  Click it and you can see where some builders there have rigged up and extra oiler
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Magicman

???  Water my cool it, but what about lube?  If the chain is sharp, is there that much heat?  I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TJB

Magicman, it has the regular oiler for lube but the bar and chain still heats up. Some people that have CSMs with longer bars have put a water drip on it like a bandsaw has and it seems to improve the cutting speed.  I'm not real worried about the cutting speed because I built my mill for the fun of it and bragging rights and not production, but I am playing around and trying different things out of curiosity.
TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Magicman

Thanks, I have no experience with a CSM, and was just wanting to know.  If you don't ask, you may not find out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TJB

The water did help more than I can believe. My buddy brought a pump up sprayer to spray water on the tip of the chain while I was cutting and I could tell almost instantly when he started spraying, the saw started cutting better and cutting speed went up.  The chain I used today was sharpened at 10 degrees and I'm going to resharpen it to 5 degrees and see if that does anything tomorrow.
TJ

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Thank You Sponsors!