iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

potentiometer

Started by jc, October 06, 2011, 07:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc

I have a LT 40 hydraulic with a Kubota diesel and setworks.  A while back, all of a sudden, I had to turn the potentiometer halfway to max to move the carriage forward.   Everything works fine except for that.  I replaced the potentiometer and cleaned and lubed the drum switch.  The head returns at normal speed, and the head moves forward normally except for having to turn the potentiometer a lot farther to the right than normal.  I checked the brushes in the motor about 300 hours ago and they were fine.  Any help would be appreciated.

BBTom

I had that problem once and spent two days scratching my head--then figured out the set screw on the potentiometer knob was loose. 

Hope yours is just as easy to fix
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

pineywoods

That's a classic symptom of a bad head support bearing/roller. Drop the head down on a block of wood to take the load off the rollers, then check all 4 .
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

welcome to the forestry forum.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jc.  I agree with pineywoods about checking those cam follower bearings.  Another thing to look for is a splinter wedged somewhere close those bearings.  Look closely, splinters can hide.

If you disconnect the two wires from the power feed motor, the carriage should roll smoothly and easily.  You do have the operator's end slightly higher than the rear don't you.  You do not want to add climbing a hill in addition to sawing to the power feed.

The next thing is your power feed sprocket(s) bearings.  You will need to disconnect the power feed chain to verify that they are free wheeling.

Keep us updated on your progress.  It will help someone else.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!