iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinding Wheel Direction

Started by kenskip1, June 03, 2017, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

OK I have a Jolly Star grinder that I have had for around 4 years.It does a good job and I am satisfied with it. However,, I have read that there is a better method to sharpen. Using a grinder that spins the opposite direction for the other side of the chain.I understand having the wheel turn into the cutter. Is there a significant benefit using this procedure? Thanks, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

FYRWOOD GUY

grinding into the cutter leaves no burr vs grinding out of the cutter leaves burr. guess you need to figure a way to reverse motor on grinder.
keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

kenskip1

That is not a problem. A DPDT switch could reverse the polarity to the motor, however is the end product worth the effort and cost?
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

ladylake

My Oregon 511 only turns direction and my chains cut great. Don't think there will be much benefit if and reversing the direction  from side to side, but there will always be some snooty ones claiming it makes a big difference.  .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

NCFarmboy

The outside burr is gone in about 5 seconds in the first cut.  Think about it.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

khntr85

I once considered putting in a switch....honestly my chains come out so good, I just see no reason....I guess if I had time and nothing goin on I could...but like these guys say, the burr comes off instantly in wood....

Have you tried diamond wheels, they truly are amazing...

So are you getting good results with your grinder then???

kenskip1

khn, Yes I have had great results. Never any complaints until someone hits something, like a piece of barb wire, nails and yes I even hit a horse shoe that was embedded in a tree. Anyway I am going to leave well enough alone. Thanks for the replies, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong

bill m

My Jolly grinder came with a DPDT switch. Not sure why yours did not.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

khntr85

Quote from: bill m on June 04, 2017, 09:14:19 PM

It's called the EPA, every grinder made today and past few years only spins one way...

could you post a few pics of your cutters...I want to see if there is that much difference....you can also drop by the grinder thread I started awhile back...I will be adding some pics soon...thanks a lot Kyle!!!

gspren

If your just in it to cut wood you're over thinking it but if you enjoy perfection then you need a collection of files and small hand stones to get razor edges with no burr. Of course if you spend an hour plus on a chain and then hit a nail on the first cut you may be subject to crying.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

John Mc

Quote from: khntr85 on June 10, 2017, 10:23:28 PM
Quote from: bill m on June 04, 2017, 09:14:19 PM

It's called the EPA, every grinder made today and past few years only spins one way...

OK, I'll bite... what does the EPA care which direction an electric motor spins? I always assumed it was the manufacturer trying to cut costs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

It's not the EPA, it's OSHA. The sparks and debris need to be discharged away from the operator. Even when I used a reversible grinder I never used the feature, I dressed the burrs with a file.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

xlogger

Quote from: khntr85 on June 04, 2017, 09:51:38 AM
I once considered putting in a switch....honestly my chains come out so good, I just see no reason....I guess if I had time and nothing goin on I could...but like these guys say, the burr comes off instantly in wood....

Is the diamond wheel and cbn one of the same? I was thinking about getting a cbn wheel for my grinder. Anyone found out if they worth the differences in money?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

OH logger

Quote from: xlogger on August 25, 2017, 02:20:27 PM

Quote from: khntr85 on June 04, 2017, 09:51:38 AM

Is the diamond wheel and cbn one of the same? I was thinking about getting a cbn wheel for my grinder. Anyone found out if they worth the differences in money?

if its the same as a borazon wheel... then YES!!
john

Jemclimber

Xlogger,

Diamond and CBN are not the same.  You want CBN (cubic boron nitride) for chain sharpening and yes they are worth every bit the extra expense.
lt15

MrWhoopee

Coming from the metal cutting industry, the grinding wheel should always be turning towards the cutting edge. Grinding away from the edge concentrates the heat on the edge, which is the thinnest part and most likely to be annealed (lose hardness) as a result. I have not been able to determine if the cutters are high-speed steel, which is very resistant to annealing. They are most likely high-carbon steel, which loses it's hardness quickly when heated above 1400 deg.

This is all academic. I'm sure that the shop that sharpens my chains does not reverse the grinder and they cut and last just fine.
Phineas J Whoopee

Burning pine & hoarding oak

ButchC

Everything was fine,, but then I read on the internet,,, LOL.

I am not poking fun at you, kinda laughing at myself as I have done the same thing myself on many occasions

You answered your own question. Yes ideally the stone would turn into the nose of the cutter. Yes there is a slight burr but it is gone as soon as the chain hits the wood.  Your technique using the grinder and keeping a proper stone profile will make LOTS bigger differences in your final results than reversing the direction of the motor. As somebody else posted I have NEVER seen a saw shop reverse the motor when grinding chains.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

khntr85

Also the Stihl USG which is the best round grinder made to date, only turns one way and makes a grey chain, or should I say is as good as the operator!!

Yes you want "CBN" wheels for steel chain....

The company"Diamond Whell Inc" makes a *DanG good one for $100....

I have done enough chains to pay for 2-CBN wheels plus some and they look/cut like new....$100 well spent in my opinion l!!!

xlogger

I order one from them a couple days ago, not heard anything bad about them yet, all good.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Ada Shaker

Quote from: kenskip1 on June 03, 2017, 03:33:17 PM
That is not a problem. A DPDT switch could reverse the polarity to the motor, however is the end product worth the effort and cost?

I'm assuming were talking about AC Motors?
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

khntr85

Quote from: xlogger on August 31, 2017, 05:09:08 AM
I order one from them a couple days ago, not heard anything bad about them yet, all good.

You will love it pro ise you that!!

Thank You Sponsors!