iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

franklin 185S2 skidder reviews?

Started by loggerboy9325, February 07, 2014, 03:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerboy9325

Does anyone on here own or owned a franklin 185S2 skidder? I know they are probably a little hard to get parts for but I have my eye on one and was looking for a review or comparison for it. We do have a 09 540 and a 2004 648 but since we are into bigger wood I was looking for of a bigger cable skidder for bigger skids. thanks :)

hu5qvarna395xp

Best skidder ever built buddy of mine has one for sale now here in se Ohio.. I've ran serveral of them for differ ppl I love them.. I like the 640 D an the 640E jd skidders also
Jd an franklin skidders,husqvarna saws,prentice loaders an mack trucks that's how we roll!!!

loggerboy9325

Alright cool thanks I love my JD skidders too but I love franklins sucks they went out of business my family owned over 30 over them throughout the years. Our 540 can hual some trees but right now I feel like we are maxing it out a bit would be nice to have a bigger cable skidder. Hows fuel economy and power? any other things you can tell me about it? the one I have my eye on has around 9,000 hours on it.

Southside

I don't know anything about the 185, but if its anything like my 170 there is no comparison to your 540.  I had a 540A before this 170 - night and day pulling and stability.  Of course it weighs three time as much and has twice the HP of the JD, Cummins engine.  Getting in and out of it does get a bit harder as the day wears on though.  I have a grapple on the back but still use the cable multiple times a day, the winch is amazing.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!