iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits are fine, but let's talk bbq....

Started by Hokiemill, March 01, 2005, 08:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

The best bbq I ever had was cooked by a neighbor of mine growing up, Jerry Carter.  Mr. Carter KNEW BBQ!!! He had one of those classic grills made from a 55 gallon drum.  For him, spring and summer weekends were more often than not characterized by what I could only call his near religious zeal for great bbq.  The neighborhood was constantly tantalized with the amazing smell of his cooking, cooking and grilling that teased us nearly all day.  As a youngster, I'd meander up the driveway on my bike from time to time to watch Mr. Carter work his magic.  To see the smoke pour out of that grill that looked like nothing more than an oil drum, and then to be consumed by the most amazing smell pouring out of it seemed almost magical to me as a kiddo.  We never cooked like that, and it was always exciting for me to see him pull out his trusty grill.  You could tell he enjoyed getting the attention of the neighbor kids.  Unfortunately for me, I never had a taste of his bbq--that is, until we had a big block party one year.  Mr. Carter decided he'd be the master of the pit, and cooked up his ribs.  All of us in the neighborhood who had suffered countless weekends smelling the smoke from his grill, without being able to enjoy the bbq were anxiously awaiting the big day.  Without a doubt, Mr. Carter's bbq was the hit of the occasion, and I still remember it to this day.  Forever after that, growing up, as I went through high school and into college, I'd occasionally wander over to talk with Mr. Carter while he was grilling, catching up and chatting away for awhile.  But I always had a secret motivation:  I wanted to know the secret of his sauce!  One day, he gave me some of his secrets, but he wouldn't tell me all--a man's gotta keep close watch on his secret bbq sauce! To this day, Mr. Carter's BBQ is the standard that all other BBQ I ever have is judged, and no one's got Mr. Carter beat yet.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Don_Papenburg

Hey Engineer , If you want boughten BBQ that falls off the bone  the only place that I have gotten it was at the Harvest House on Rt6 in Ottawa Ill. exit 90 off of Interstate 80  south into Ottawa take a right on Rt6 three or four blocks.
It is realy diapointing to get BBQ ribs at a restrunt only to have tough meat that has to be cut off the bone.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Engineer

Oh, I don't wanna brag, but I am never gonna buy BBQ in a restaurant when I can make it as good as I want it myself.   Maybe if I'm ever in Memphis or St. Louis again, I'll change my mind.  There are a lot of places that try, but unless they got a big barrel smoker or a pit in the back of the restaurant and I kin smell it before I git out of my truck, I ain't interested.   :'(

Murf

I been settin some 'good used parts', the stuff the missus calls junk, off to one ide in the shop.

I've almost filled the parts list, soon comes time to spark up the welder and start the assembly.

I'm gonna make me a first-class, double chamber, rotisserie BBQ !!!

The fire box, presently known as an old propane tank, will feed the smoke into the BBQ proper, presently known as a 55 gallon drum, and then out ta' udder end via a chimney, presently known as last years exhaust off my neinghbours semi truck.

Whooooeee, I''m gonna have a stainless steel exhaust on my cooker!  :D Now that's class!!!

I even got a gear reduction motor to run the rotisserie, OK, it's actually a piece of 3/4" stainless steel rod I 'aquired' in my travels.

Then just to finish it all of proper, an axle that used to hold a boat trailer up ofa da road.  (Cause da missus says I gots ta hide it outta sight when it's not cookin nuttin  :-[) That's OK, that way it can make 'road trips' with me.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

leweee

Murf.....that sounds like you own version of a Red Green Show. :D Make sure and post some pictures of that project. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Murf

Nah, the Red Green version of the BBQ don't work well at all......

When all that duck tape gets hot the glue starts ta burnin' an it gits a powerful smell ....... 

smiley_airfreshener

Even the coons won't lick the grill after that.....

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!