iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber out of downed white oak?

Started by livemusic, March 07, 2017, 09:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I have been cutting firewood from the limbs of two large white oaks that fell on my place. Now, I'm down to the trunks and these trees are, oh, 24" to 28" DBH. They fell from wind a year or two ago, not sure when because I just bought the land. Some dead leaves are still attached, so, not too long ago. I have never had lumber made from a tree, know nothing about it, but would these trees be suitable for making lumber? How would I get them there? I guess I'd need to hire a good ol' boy with a way to get them onto a trailer. Can anyone give ideas on good uses for such lumber? Is this enough to make it worth my while? And is it best to have green trees for lumber? As for these, the wood is not punky in the least; it is heavy and smells wonderful. As for trunk length, do you use only that portion up to the first limb?
~~~
Bill

Weekend_Sawyer

As long as it isn't rotten it can be milled.

You should look for a portable sawyer in your area.
White oak is wonderful wood I have milled trees that were down for years with no problem.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

If for nothing else, it would make wonderful trailer decking, but only use the reddish heartwood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!