iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine not turning over on 10 hp kohler

Started by ForestMan, June 01, 2012, 10:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

Hi, I have a woodmizer lt 10 with upgrade to a 10 hp engine.  I have not used it in several months, probably March was the last time I cut with it.  I tried to start it yesterday and it would not start.  It has a full tank of gas and I put some stabilizer in it yesterday as well.  I don't know much about small engines.  What could be the problem?  The oil looks great by the way.  Thanks.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

sawguy21

Is it not cranking at all or cranking and not starting?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ForestMan

js2743

ForestMan

No battery on this model, it has a pullstring.

sawguy21

Are you telling us the motor is seized?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crosscut

Try draining all the gas into a bucket or glass jar inspect it for water. With the ethanol gas it doesnt take long to absorb a lot of water If you see signs of water drain the carb and refill the tank with fresh gas. also make sure the petcock on your gas tank is open . hope this helps :)

Al_Smith

Pull the spark plug on that thing and see if it has a cylinder full of gas .If so don't attempt to pull it over unless you're darn certain the ignition is off else if it sparks you're going to have a roasted Wood Mizer .Maybe a toasted Wood Mizer owner too .Not good .

MartyParsons

Hello,
I would remove the spark plug and see if it turns over, do not look down the hole when pulling the rope. I just spent a few hours last month at the eye doctor from this, one of our techs got a full face of gas in the eyes.
That Ethanol is bad stuff for small engines.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

trailman

just got mine runing again. last weekend i took the starter out. the brushes were all stuck in place. fixed that. and today just found loose conection at the points. now i have spark again. its a kohler in a garden tractor.bill

millwright

Check to make sure the crankcase is not filled with gas due to a leaky needle and seat.

hamish

Based upon the posters engine and symtoms, being a horizontal engine, pull the plug, can you turn it over?  I not pull o the starter housing and see if a mouse decided to make home there over the winter, between the flywheel and the housing. 

Ethanol E-10 and under has not harmfull to any ope or small engine manuactured in the past 15 yrs, all the lines and carb components are rated for E-10.  New problems with fuel are not, new just a lil different, storage and use are still the main issues.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!