iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another weekend off 8)

Started by Raphael, October 24, 2006, 02:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

For the second time this month I've had an entire weekend off from both work and house construction. 8)
Saturday was NY State Sheep and Wool at Rhinebeck, this is "the big one".  The Dutchess County Fairgrounds were packed with fibre folk as well as late leaf peepers.
  I toted the camera bag around all day but took very few pictures, this one has nice textures to it.

Sunday was a whole other experience, SWMBO and I have 104 pics to prove it.
Deb's bank sponsored a whale watching trip: a bus from the main branch in Litchfield CT to Gloucester Mass. (just North of Boston) and back plus the tour itself for $10/person.  It made for a very long but enjoyable day.

This fellow greeted us at the boat.

And we managed to catch up to two pairs of Humpback whales.  The first pair was Rapier and her yearling calf, Humpbacks are named and identified by their tail markings which are as unique as fingerprints.  The calf will be named when it returns to the feeding grounds next summer.
  Rapier is on her way down in this picture and the calf is in the background.

The other pair were Echo and Reflection who we caught up with near the end of the afternoon.
  I believe this is echo with a bit of Boston sticking up over the horizon.

And here is Reflection.

We also saw some well put together wood:

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

tcsmpsi

Nice pictures.

I didn't know that about whale's tail markings.  Thanks!!
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Patty

That is a beautifiul boat! I love the look of sail boats, you don't see too many  here in Bangor IA  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stephen1

looked a nice week-end of enjoying yourself's, nice to do berfore winter comes.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bothy_Loon

Im jealous both of the whale & the ship. not to mention the weekend off!
Bothy Loon

Onthesauk

"never name something you may have to eat someday" -John Wayne

Have to believe this is why they name the whales.

Have seen them in Cabo San Lucas, Hawaii and Alaska all in the same year.  Often wondered how many of them were the same ones?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Raphael

Quote from: Patty on October 24, 2006, 02:09:53 PM
That is a beautifiul boat! I love the look of sail boats, you don't see too many  here in Bangor IA  :)

I wonder why not.  :D
I 'imported' SWMBO from Fort Dodge, and she can't recall seeing any schooners on the Des Moines river either.
When I lived in Poughkeepsie NY I always wanted to bus up to Maine buy a boat and sail it home up the Hudson, I think this one might be a bit beyond my price range or ability to handle solo.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Patty

Raphael, Ft Dodge is only an hour or so away.

And she (SWMBO) is right, no big sailboats going down the Raccoon River either.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!