iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to sharpen tin snips.

Started by woodsteach, October 23, 2006, 01:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I am teaching high school metals class for the second year, (I'm a wood shop guy placed in the metals lab too).  I have a drawer of tin snips that seem dull I'm sure they can be sharpened but I just wanted to be certain before I begin.  Any tips from the vast knowledge on this forum?

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Fla._Deadheader

I just use a flat belt sander (6 X 48" belt. You are shearing the metal so, the angle stays pretty close to 80° or so. Just wipe lightly, don't go for razor sharp. Works for me on Scissors also.  ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Sharpen them like scissors. Use a fine flat mill file and stroke along the cutting edge (not on the flat mating surface) and file down past any nicks (hopefully they were not used to cut wire which near ruins them for metal work). Toss if can't file them past the nicks. Tighten the pivot bolt if they are sloppy, or peen the rivet is so equipped. Can't have a gap between the two mating halves.

Same for aviation tin snips, which have the right and left aspects to them.

(and like FDH said whilst I was trying to type  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

File ??  FILE ???  Got an old pair of Wiss aviation type, that Ed cuts SS with. File won't touch them baby's.  ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

FDH
Takes a 'good' file  ;D ;D

And probably the aviation type are not what woodsteach has in his drawers. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Must be an old pair of wiss the new ones can be sharpened with a worn out emery board.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

leweee

They just don't makem like they useta ;)  eh Harold ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

CHARLIE

Beenthere, wouldn't you think Woodsteach having tin snips in his drawers would be pretty uncomfortable? That would make a man walk gingerly. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ScottAR

:D :D :D  Careful steps now...

New Wiss are nearly useless. Buy Malco if you can find em...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

woodsteach

Thanks for all the replies.   Even Charlie's :D :D :D

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!