iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatzit?

Started by Jeff, December 20, 2015, 08:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Pretty cool whatzit there!  Even better a working one :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tam-i-am

What Bluecreeper literally could save the day  ;D

Great find Jeff!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

starmac

Cool, I thought at first it was a bell from a gas station driveway, but remembered they were electric and had a set of points in them.

I have a funny story about one of them. There was a couple of brothers from North Carolina came to New Mexico and bought the fina station in the town I went to school in my senior year. They tried running it 4 hours a day, but would sometimes get drunk and pas out during the night, leaving it wide open. lol
One morning early I came to town and one was passed out, I blew on the hose, which makes it steady ring as long as you kept air pressure on it. The points stuck and it wouldn't shut off, we had to unplug it.
A couple of days later it would still ring anytime you plugged it in, so they told me I had to fix it. lol
I told him, you know I just blew on the hose, all you have to do is suck on it real hard and it will quit, so he tried it. It had a spiders nest in the hose and he got a mouthfull of spider eggs, which didn't please him at all, so I had to file the points in it to get it to work like it should again. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beenthere

starmac
QuoteCool, I thought at first it was a bell from a gas station driveway, but remembered they were electric and had a set of points in them.

In the "old" days, the station bells were pneumatic.. the air hose lay out on the drive with the far end plugged. A car driving over would send a puff of air up the hose to activate the dinger.  Worked great until the hose would spring an air leak. Nothing was electric on these.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

The one I messed with was in the mid 70's, it was an old station, but I don't have a clue when it was built.. Air pressure off the hose triggered it, but it had a set of points in it to trigger the bell.

sandhills

Do I get any credit for at least being a little close  :D?

beenthere

Quote from: starmac on December 21, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
The one I messed with was in the mid 70's, it was an old station, but I don't have a clue when it was built.. Air pressure off the hose triggered it, but it had a set of points in it to trigger the bell.

New station in the mid 50's, and would only get one ding from front tire then another from the back tire... The later ones as you describe prolly had a longer ring than a one dinger.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

Nope, this one only dinged once when tires went over it, that is until I blew on the hose. lol
I had worked at the station before these guys bought it, and had blown on it before, not sure why the points stuck and it kept dinging.

WmFritz

Nice find Jeff...
For the Pig Roast, Vicki's been getting us the campsite directly across from where that junkman sets up his store. She likes to people-watch the pickers going there and the flea market.

It doesn't seem to bother her about how much hollering I do about the traffic noise at night.  I think Harrison has an ordinance that ALL mufflers must  removed after dark, during the summer.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!