iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite marking tool. pencil or Sharpie

Started by Novascotiamill, August 31, 2018, 06:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

Was making some marks the other day and found that the pencil wasnt marking well on green wood. Went and grabbed a fine tip sharpie wich was nice and visible . Was wondering what everyone kept handy for marking on differant surfaces. sharpie,Pencil, Soapstone ,Grease pencil, whats your favorite that works in most conditions?
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

WV Sawmiller

I'd say a pencil followed by a Sharpie. I find a crayon does not work well on wood already painted with Anchorseal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

A lumber crayon on a pencil pull and I agree that it does not work well or at all on logs sealed with Anchorseal. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tawilson

I've been liking the Milwaukee Inkzall marker lately.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Busysawyer

Tawilson, I was checking those out at the hard ware  store the other day. Do they work well on anchorsealed wood? Best thing I've found so far is paint markers and they arent the greatest  but work pretty good.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Dave Shepard

Lumber crayon. I don't think anything will mark well on Anchorseal.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Busysawyer

Dave, for me the testors yellow paint markers work a lot better than lumber crayons. If I press lightly and use a different surface to push the tip in to get the paint to flow they work ok
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

tawilson

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 31, 2018, 09:23:27 PM
Tawilson, I was checking those out at the hard ware  store the other day. Do they work well on anchorsealed wood? Best thing I've found so far is paint markers and they arent the greatest  but work pretty good.
I don't know.  They work well on green or damp wood. I'll try it on some Anchorsealed logs tomorrow.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

DARRELL1972

I use my knife. We don't have any anchorsealed wood tho.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

JB Griffin

Dixon black or dark blue lumber crayon. Have no need to seal logs.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

etroup10

Blue or red sidewalk chalk works well and is cheap
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

btulloh

Quote from: tawilson on August 31, 2018, 08:19:11 PMI've been liking the Milwaukee Inkzall marker lately.

These work great and will mark on oily or wet surfaces.  Even if it's not your primary marker, it's good to have one around.
HM126

tawilson

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 31, 2018, 09:23:27 PM
Tawilson, I was checking those out at the hard ware  store the other day. Do they work well on anchorsealed wood? Best thing I've found so far is paint markers and they arent the greatest  but work pretty good.

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Thank You Sponsors!