iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickling chillies.

Started by Ianab, June 10, 2021, 03:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Start of Winter here, so picking the last of the Chillies for the season. (apart from the Rocoto that are still flowering  ??? )

"Traffic Light" Jalapenos, and Rocoto relish so far. Hasn't been a good season for the super hots, but the hardier varieties have come though. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

@Ianab What's your recipe/procedure for canning the peppers?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Darn I should have done some chillies this summer, maybe it's not too late. I'm also wondering the canning process 
A1

Ianab

Quote from: Chuck White on June 13, 2021, 02:07:14 PM
@Ianab What's your recipe/procedure for canning the peppers?
The recipe for the relish is here. 
Hot Pepper Relish Recipe - Chili Pepper Madness

That gets chopped fairly fine and cooked for ~30 mins then bottled. That mix is made with Rocoto chillies which have a heat between Cayenne and Habanero, but have thick juicy flesh more like a capsicum. You can use whatever you feel like, and mix it up for colour and heat, use some sweet peppers etc. 

The pickled Jalapenos are basically done like you would gherkins. Sliced and blanched in the vinegar / sugar / salt mix for about 2 minutes. Add some garlic or other spices to suit and bottle them. 

The other sauce I make is a tomato / onion / apple chutney (again with the vinegar / sugar solution to preserve). This is a good mild sauce on it's own, but you can add in as much chilli as you want. Only takes about 3 Ghost Chillies to spice up a gallon of sauce. That gets cooked for an hour or so then food processed to make a pour-able sauce.  

Basically it's about getting the pH low enough to "pickle" them so they keep. 

Probably not too late to grow some if you can pick up some decent size plants at a garden centre? 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Thanks for the response Ian!

Looking forward to the project!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!