iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpener

Started by Bruno of NH, November 22, 2021, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

FFOTS,
I am SO sorry for not following up with you on the angle thing.  I linked this thread to another and saw that was lapse in responding.  So, take a look at the picture below:

On the extreme left side, you see a silver post with a black Allen screw backing up the blade.  See the hole to the right and further back?  There is another to the left and further forward.  There is a similar setup on the right side of the platen/table.  That is for setting the width of the blade.  If you want to change the angle, just move one or the other forward or back.  That will cant the blade relative to the grind wheel.  Otherwise, you need to buy a different CBN wheel, and I don't think they have many to choose from.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 29, 2021, 03:21:04 PMThe only thing I don't get is they included 3 extra wheel plates/washers. Not sure why or what the plan is for them.
Duh.  They came with the Shop Fox to mount the normal stone grinding wheels.  Only one was used for the CBN wheel.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Quebecnewf

How are the  sharpened blades cutting overall from the Veil Sharpener ? 

Quebecnewf 

jimbarry

@ljohnsaw please tell me you are wearing a good mask while dry grinding using a CBN wheel. Yes?

Ljohnsaw

For some unknown reason, I have a LOT of N95 masks laying around. ;)  They are particularly effective when sawing cedar!
John Sawicky

Crossroads

That wait is almost over, I got a call from WM this afternoon and my sharpener and setter are waiting for me in Portland. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

I ordered a sharpener this morning 
I didn't get the Veil 
I am going to order their setter as everyone else is months out.
The sharpener I got is automatic and will run 5" cbn wheels. 
I'm going to be a dealer of cbn wheels after I try them out .
I will tell you the brand and show it when I get it next week 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

I look forward to hearing how your wheels work out. I just picked up my grinder and setter on Saturday. They are bigger than I anticipated and are going to take up a lot of my limited covered real estate. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

Quote from: Crossroads on May 11, 2022, 11:05:42 PM
I look forward to hearing how your wheels work out. I just picked up my grinder and setter on Saturday. They are bigger than I anticipated and are going to take up a lot of my limited covered real estate.
They sure do take up space, and even more space once you put the blade on. Then you need space to hang the blades, and then you have different blades and they need to be sorted. That takes up more space....
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

Yes blade sharpening equipment takes up about 8x more space than one would figure.
Too many irons in the fire

Bradm

Quote from: barbender on May 12, 2022, 10:51:08 PM
Yes blade sharpening equipment takes up about 8x more space than one would figure.
Double that if you're doing work for others.

Bruno of NH

I'm in the process of cleaning on side of the shop out for setting up my sharpener and setter.
I got the cbn wheels today
Sharpener set for Monday delivery 
When I learn the process, I might sharpen on weekends for others.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

I started building a cabin last year, but it may very well be my grinder shed when it gets done. 

Jturning

What sharpener did you go with?

Crossroads

BMS250 I set it up today and was cycling it to get familiar with the the adjustments (can't grind as I'm waiting for mineral oil) when the wheel stopped spinning, then the forward advance stopped. Open the cover and found a 5a glass fuse blown. Went to town and went to all the automotive parts houses with no success. Went to lowes and bingo! Replaced the fuse and the forward advance is working, but the grinder still isn't starting. 🤔 

Old Greenhorn

I assume you are following JimBarry's thread on the nightmare he is going through with his?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=118949.0
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

I have read through it and will revisit it now that you've provided the link. Thank you!

Bruno of NH

I got my setter yesterday from Veil tools and started setting my bands .
I have around 150 to do.
It's well built and works good.
I have my sharpener but I won't show it till I get my custom 6" cbn wheels I'm having made . I'm waiting on them.

jimbarry

Quote from: Bradm on May 13, 2022, 06:46:10 PM
Quote from: barbender on May 12, 2022, 10:51:08 PM
Double that if you're doing work for others.
From my own experience running a BMT250 and two BMS250's, with a small induction welder to fix broken blades, a grinding/washing station, a 3x3 ft table (min) size and walking room to deal with about 10 blades at a time, you need about a 20x15ft space.

Bruno of NH

I'm new to sharpening and setting
What do you folks use to move an over set tooth ?
I would like to make a de setter if anyone has close up pictures. 

melezefarmer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 01, 2022, 04:44:55 PMsnip
I'd also like to know what people are using. I thought about just putting a bunch of cheap bearing parallel to each other and rolling the blade through it to reset to zero but I image there is a better way.

KenMac

I don't think you have to go back to zero set. Probably would be really hard to do anyway. I have broken hardened tips off blades using channel locks or other pliers to take set out of over set teeth. There is someone on the forum who has successfully made a desetter. Maybe he will speak up soon. Searching "desetter" will find the thread.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Crusarius

Desetter can be nothing more than a set of steel wheels you pull the band through. could even mount it to the infeed side of the setter.

Someone said you will never get zero set which is correct with just flat wheels but you can adjust the gap between the wheels to change the set however you need to. 

I still have a picture in my head for making a tooth setter with cammed wheels that you just pull the band through. will take a bit of engineering to get it right but would be a pretty sweet addition to a setting operation. Especially if you could set and sharpen automatically using the power feed on the sharpener.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 01, 2022, 04:44:55 PMI would like to make a de setter if anyone has close up pictures.

John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!