iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New milling mission

Started by Ianab, May 13, 2022, 03:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

So Taylor's teacher messaged us about a "field trip" to see a big tree being taken down. Was only about a 1/4 mile from school, but they wanted some parent help to supervise. I wasn't doing much today, so I put my hand up. 

Turns out it was at her parents house, and it was a pretty impressive cypress, but basically standing dead. It was technically on town property, and  overhanging a public walkway, so the Council organised to have it taken down. Access was via the families backyard, but they get to keep the firewood, so "win- win". They can't just drop the tree as it would fall over the walkway and into the river, so it's being pieced out.  They can bomb some limbs down onto the lawn, but 75% needs to be roped down. Timed it for lunchtime so the crew could stop and talk to the kids and they could have a look at the gear etc. 

Anyway got talking to the the homeowner and the crew, and we have arranged that they will drop the "2nd log", which I figure at about 3ft dia / 16ft long, and lust leave it. Contact was to lop it into rounds for firewood, so it saves them an hours work . I can set up the Peterson where it lands and maybe recover 1,000 bd/ft of Monterey cypress, and the kids get another field trip in. 

Zoomed in. You can see the climber's leg just above and right of the climbing rope. We are looking at the section above the first fork, up to the 2nd main fork. Above that is still a couple of years worth of firewood. The butt log is maybe 5ft dia, and will end up as firewood as I don't have any way to break it down. 

Tree is maybe 100 years old? They seem to go into decline at that age or before, There are still three (larger) trees still healthy, but looking at the biggest one, with a 3 story tree house in it, I think I'll pass on that even if it has to come down. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

Freehand rip the butt Ian, make another field trip of it  8) :D

Thank You Sponsors!