Forum > General Woodworking

I think I like it.

(1/3) > >>

DR_Buck:
I spent part of yesterday and most of today in the wood shop for the first time in quite a while.  I decided to was time to get Kitty's kitchen shelves done. This project has been in the works for 4-1/2 years now.   I cut and planned the boards many months ago.   They were the last milling I did before retiring and selling everything.   I recovered them from an elm tree we had that died several years ago.  

The shelves are going to be "floating" open shelves over the counter as we do not have any wall cabinets. They will be held in place with rebar mounted to the framing studs and sticking out of the wall.   This was preplanned from the beginning, and I drilled the studs when we built the new addition.   

Anyway, to make a long story shorter (I should have made this very long project shorter), today I sanded and applied the first round of finish to the shelves.   Kitty wants a natural finish on the shelves, and I didn't feel like using poly and wanted to try something different.    So, I opened up some Danish Oil I brought home form a clearance sale about a year ago.   I've used tongue oil and teak oil but never used this stuff before.    I'm amazed how well it works and how well it soaked into the elm.   I've got one more coat to wipe on before it will be done, but I'm really happy with the way it looks.   I think I may be using less poly in the future. 

I'll add some pictures to this thread when I mount the shelves.      

DR_Buck:
Here are some pictures of the project.   A last-minute demand by the customer  ;D  was for me to add plate grooves to each shelf.   So, I added 2 for each one.   Now all I need to do is get the backsplash tile on the wall and the rest of the molding installed and painted.  

aigheadish:
Very nice! How's the rebar mounted in there? Just drill a hole in the stud and pound it in? Same with the shelf side? 

DWyatt:
I do like that Elm. Looks good!

JJ:
 popcorn_smiley
waiting to see the tile backsplash
popcorn_smiley

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap