Forum > General Woodworking

Stoolman breaks into

<< < (4/4)

barbender:
That is great! Beautiful stool👍👍

Dan_Shade:
Very nice. 

What typically gets one into a juried show?

Is it build quality? 
Aesthetic points?
Design?
Well used wood patterns?

Or is it an "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" thing. 

Dan

Larry:
I know very little about how to submit to a gallery or show.  I can only relate how it worked for me.

When I submitted to the Walton Arts Center I was required to submit a high quality picture on a neutral background.  Photo had to be a minimum of 300 ppi.  Next was a artist biography which is commonly written in third person.  Third was a artist statement.  Both had 300 word limits.  I was told a poor picture or grammar would mean the application would end up in the trash can. 

My friend, who has been in a few shows told me they sometimes ask for additional pictures, or information.  Than the work is judged against other submissions.  

Once my work was accepted I got to meet the art gallery curators.  They took the time to chat and gave me additional tips.  They also told me what work interested them.  Should help me a lot when I submit next year.

kantuckid:

--- Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 09, 2022, 12:49:34 PM ---Very nice.

What typically gets one into a juried show?

Is it build quality?
Aesthetic points?
Design?
Well used wood patterns?

Or is it an "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" thing.

Dan

--- End quote ---
There are craft guild juries which are experts in their field of the article being submitted. Guilds have various skilled persons with much expertise and keep out the potato bin makers and bring in the good stuff. Often an honor to be selected and may involve more than one item for safety of the guilds reputation. 
Local arts shows can be a great honor to be selected, but fact is most with art training ar fine arts trained and few wood craftspeople that come out of those universities. Pottery and brush work, art prints, weaving, etc., pre-dominate as you'd expect. Also, lots of jewelry related items at craft shows in recent decades. 
Wood is by the far less seen area of work in crafts. In KY at the state fair there is a VG representation of wood items with most coming from people who belong to wood turning clubs and such. Berea has a bunch of wood people around. Instruments and more, but still pottery & fine arts predominate. 
Then there are also the major craft shows, mostly adjacent to either mountain 2nd home money or within the scope of a major city and large customer area, also with money, that can be anyone that got on the panel that decides if they want your stuff to be sold at their show. Most do a VG job of keeping the best stuff on display. 
In my area with small shows, it's the lady who runs that show or festival and a very mixed bag choice wise as to who gets the spots. Not really a jury thing with them, mostly a phone conversation and so much non-art and non-crafts come in I got away from it all. More "fair food" and flea mkt.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Sitemap