Some Lathe Stuff

Started by Mooseherder, January 19, 2023, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I got this idea from Mike Peace's Woodturning youtube channel.  One of his videos demonstrates making birdhouse ornaments.
These 2 are spalted Beech.  The Perches and Birds are from other wood scraps.  The birds swivel on the perches.  

Walnut Beast

Mooseherder

The Moose family made from White Paper Birch. I gave the cow an offset butt to compete with the bull's rack.
Does this trash can make my HF Bandmill look big?! :D

samandothers

Looks like you are having fun with it.

newoodguy78

Very nice. It's nice to see something made out of beech. There's tons of it around but very few get milled. 

Mooseherder

I think all our Beech has bark disease.   :(

Roxie

Say when

Don P

I'm jealous of that driveway workshop this time of year  :)

Ours has it but there is still good wood, for beech, in most of it. I've made some pizzacuterie boards out of it among other things.

Mooseherder

The driveway workshop brings in neighbors who try to assign me projects. :D
I've got everything on Wheels to roll in and blow out the dust with a leaf blower.  I had to take out a shade tree a couple years ago. 11am to 2 pm is brutal sun so that's the break hour. ;D

Mooseherder

A couple of small Beech bowls.  My wife wanted a small dish to put her earrings in when washing her face.  This has become a popular item with family.

Stephen1

Don, I agree my 1st thought was I love the driveway workshop!!!
Great wood working.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mooseherder

I made one more yesterday.  The top lid is that shape because that's all the wood would give me.

Mooseherder

A small lidded White Birch bowl.

Mooseherder

An Acorn made from Paper Birch.  The dish is Beech salvaged from a failed bowl turning.
Maple, Birch and Pecan Snowmen. :)

Magicman

You are indeed having too much fun!!   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

It's cheaper than Therapy.  smiley_roller

Mooseherder

I just finished a couple of Maple birdhouses with store bought birds.

Mooseherder

A couple of recent lidded bowls.  First one is Australian Pine. (Sheoak) 
It's a heavy wood.
These trees are massive and this one in our yard has been struck by lightning a couple of times.
I have a bunch of firewood from the branches but the tree is still alive.
Before I put some Mineral oil on it.

With the finish.

This is a Maple bowl from a piece I saved off my mill.

Mooseherder

A few more Maple Birdhouses.  I'm hoping hummingbirds come to visit them but will make some birds to sit on the perches if they don't.