Forum > Ask The Forester

Jackets for the south east

(1/4) > >>

fordw60s:
Hi all, Just looking to get some input as to some of the more durable jackets that others use while cruising timber and other forestry related tasks. Sites are in the East Texas areas so Pine stands with blackberry, green briar and the occasional devils walking stick. Mild winters for the most part so looking for some thing light weight with good flexibility, water proof/resistant for the down pours that I'd get caught in.

I know of the typical Carhart, Walls, Dickies and higher prices wax cotton jackets, etc. but just looking to see if anyone had any other input of what to look at. I don't normally try other things so I figured I'd branch out to see what else is out there. 

Thank for any input.

wisconsitom:
You already know Dickies, yet I must say, from your description of intended use, conditions, etc. their "Eisenhower" jacket would seem very close to what you're looking for.

I wouldn't call these waterproof, but highly water-resistant.  Good at not picking up beggar ticks and other assorted gnarly weed seeds.

stavebuyer:
I always wore layers with my vest as the outer layer. T shirt in summer and various weights of long underwear and wind/water repellent under amour type layers in the winter. Fingers were always the hardest as the handheld required dexterity. Too cold for the handheld and those were the days to deal with maps/titles/ and deeds.

btulloh:
You might want to look in the hunting apparel department. There’s a lot of good stuff there for briars and thickets.  Rabbit hunting is best done with with sturdy briar proof outerwear for instance. Hunting upland birds usually calls for briar pants. Plus there’s plenty of good layer choices in the hunting department. Just a thought . . .

Or you good always go to the tactical gear - kevlar, armor plates and such. lol

(I think devils walking stick can defeat anything up to 2” armor plate, so gear up!) 

fordw60s:

--- Quote from: wisconsitom on January 23, 2023, 05:58:29 PM ---You already know Dickies, yet I must say, from your description of intended use, conditions, etc. their "Eisenhower" jacket would seem very close to what you're looking for.

I wouldn't call these waterproof, but highly water-resistant.  Good at not picking up beggar ticks and other assorted gnarly weed seeds.

--- End quote ---
I'll look into it. Most that I have been familiar with are the ones at boot barn, cavenders, tractor supply so I didn't know what else was out there. 
For me usually it isn't always hard in the woods but for those times of quick walk through in cold rainy days. 
Thank you. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap